PDA

View Full Version : MOD Reporting Cockup ... Again !

CoffmanStarter
9th May 2013, 18:27
Oh dear ...

PM Brize Vist (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-tours-new-raf-accommodation)

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/image_data/file/10523/20130507-BZN-03_May_Visit-012.jpg

See the above link as the caption to this picture says ...

Minister of State for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans Mark Francois speaks to Flight Sergeant Steve Duncan inside the cockpit of a C-17 (Picture: Paul Crouch, Crown copyright)

We can't tell the difference between a Squadron Leader and a Flight Sergeant now :ugh:

Coff.

Canadian WokkaDoctor
9th May 2013, 18:40
Oh, this should get good quite quickly, popcorn anyone?

charliegolf
9th May 2013, 19:39
Mix-up on NATO equivalent ranks?

CG

TheWizard
9th May 2013, 19:58
Go on then, off you go
https://www.gov.uk/feedback/contact

smujsmith
9th May 2013, 20:08
How dare they confuse a Squadron Leader with a Flight Sergeant. I'm sure all ex (and serving) non- coms will be mortified, gob smacked and horrified. Why has this story not appeared in the Daily Mail ? Shame they dragged in the politicians though !!!!!:O

Herod
9th May 2013, 20:14
Why is it that every politician/CEO/jobsworth ALWAYS have to be pictured at the sharp end?

CoffmanStarter
9th May 2013, 20:19
The W ... Done that in the past ... No reply :oh:

In any case the Head of RAF eComm Channels is a PPRuNe Member who is a regular visitor :ok:

uffington sb
9th May 2013, 20:25
Where's the steering wheel?

Runaway Gun
9th May 2013, 20:51
Where's his hands??

Jimlad1
9th May 2013, 21:05
Looks to me like someone has copied and pasted the names provided to them onto the information. Not everyone is an instant expert on rank titles, and if they get a covering note saying 'photo X is Flt Sgt Bloggs' then they will usually run with it.

In times like this why not just do what I've done in the past and send a quick and polite email to say 'there is a mistake' and they will usually fix it very quickly. The PR people are in my experience good people who are keen to do the best they can to support HM Forces, and appreciate it when people point out mistakes so that they can fix them. Really not worth getting wound up about in my book.

CoffmanStarter
9th May 2013, 21:14
Jimlad1 ... I agree to err is human ... but having managed a Global organisation ... proofreading before promoting comms to live is lesson 101 ...

These type of comms are the MOD/RAF "Shop Window" ... so important to get it right :ok:

PS. My reply preceded your amendment @ 22:06 :ok:

Jimlad1
9th May 2013, 22:01
@ Coffinman

I'd agree getting the shopwindow is important - but we all make mistakes. After all it wasnt that long ago that I board an RN war canoe in company of a very senior officer, with the Ships Company piping the side, as the main broadcast welcomed onboard the then CAS. Unfortunately said VSO wasn't CAS but only a 'mere' 2*. CAS followed a few minutes later to an identical pipe.

Like I say, we all make mistakes - particularly when one barcode looks a lot like another :E

muttywhitedog
9th May 2013, 22:26
There'd have been bu**er all chance of a FS getting near the PM for a photo opportunity when the place would have been crawling with commissioned types all using their well-practiced career laugh/smile for the camera.

Avtur
9th May 2013, 23:11
Perhaps he was having an intelligent conversation so they made the assumption...

seadrills
10th May 2013, 05:57
Once again the RAF bugger it up. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my service

CoffmanStarter
10th May 2013, 07:35
BGG ... No trawling necessary as I subscribe to the MOD daily News Feed which is a "Push" service :ok:

Glad to see that the main RAF Web Site did a better job with the story ...

RAF Web Site News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/mps-visit-raf-brize-norton-09052013)

I still think it's sad that the Download section still carries long outdated material

RAF Web Site Downloads (http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/RAF%20Periodicals.cfm)

Jimlad1 ... The CAS story ... Now that's funny :ok:

Courtney Mil
10th May 2013, 08:21
Had it been printed in the Daily Mail, that would have been one thing, but on www.gov.uk. I think Coff is right about this.

CoffmanStarter
10th May 2013, 13:02
All better now ... UK Gov MOD Web Site caption now corrected ... the power of PPRuNe again :D

Well played our Head of RAF eComms ... appreiate you have bu99er all budget and very little staff ... and therefore respect you working like a "one armed paper hanger" to keep it all together. Just the Download Pages to go then :ok:

Heathrow Harry
10th May 2013, 14:11
I understand that when Michael Heseltine was Minister he started every Monday's Prayer meeting in Whitehall with a demand for a list of scheduled photo opportunities for the week :p:p

airpolice
10th May 2013, 14:23
appreiate you have bu99er all budget and very little staff

Coffman, very few staff surely. I expect that some of them must be nearly six feet tall.

Or...... is this department run by Dwarves?

CoffmanStarter
10th May 2013, 14:33
AP ... Fair point :ok: I woz a scientist at school ... :}