PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilot 1970

fireflybob
9th May 2013, 08:59
Pleased to see this has now been uploaded to youtube - the halcyon days of BOAC and training at the College of Air Training, Hamble - enjoy:-

Airline Pilot

MWorth
10th May 2013, 13:29
Fascinating look back - and great DL commercial at the start.

Thanks for posting this.

Airclues
10th May 2013, 23:18
This film brought back many happy memories of flying the VC10. Surely one of the most beautiful aeroplanes ever built.

The 'star' of the film, Steve Radcliffe was my friend and flatmate. His untimely death in 1971 stunned everyone who knew him.

netsurfa9
11th May 2013, 09:52
:D Thanks Bob I enjoyed that

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th May 2013, 13:51
Fantatsic - Chipmunks and VC10s! Lovely. Surely the most graceful and best looking subsonic airliner of all time.

A question - in the VC10 cockpit shots a device can be seen on each the windows that looks like a cotton reel on the glass, which appears to be connected by electric cables toi the window surround. What is it?

bcgallacher
11th May 2013, 20:55
Looks like window heat system temperature sensors

cuefaye
12th May 2013, 10:04
Most enjoyable. Wasn't that Chipmunk instructor in a TV sitcom?

Airclues
12th May 2013, 16:34
The filming started when Steve was on the simulator phase of his training. Everything prior to that was staged. He spent several enjoyable days at Hamble without the pressures of being on a course. He got to fly the Chipmunk solo, but not the Baron, as he had trained on the Apache when he was at the college.
This film was made before the days of micro digital cameras, so the base training close-ups were filmed using full size film cameras strapped to the coaming.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th May 2013, 19:13
Most enjoyable. Wasn't that Chipmunk instructor in a TV sitcom?

Yes, Brian Murphy. :E

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/brianmurphy_zps14085868.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/GZK6NK/media/brianmurphy_zps14085868.jpg.html)

Albert Driver
13th May 2013, 16:43
The film is all very "proper" and very BOAC, but I don't remember it being like that, especially at Shannon.

In the days before flight recorders, or at least anything but the most basic wire crash recorders, the VC10 Trainers all had their party pieces for unsuspecting trainees on their early general handling exercises. It might be skimming the Atlantic wave-tops, beating up the Cliffs of Moher, extreme dutch rolls or diving to speeds you wouldn't want to know about. On my first session, the flight engineer took us down into the electrics bay to show us around. Crouched down there we found it impossible to get back up the steps. When I finally literally crawled back onto the flight deck, Wally McFarlane (I think it was) was sitting there all alone with a silly grin on his face doing ultra-steep turns.

By the time Shannon came back in sight we trainees had developed enormous confidence in the aeroplane - and we hadn't even tried landing it yet.

The right way to train airline pilots!

SOPS
13th May 2013, 17:47
This is a great movie, and reminded me why I learned to fly some 33 years ago. I'm glad however I have only a couple of years to go, and although I will miss the 777 and lots of things, I will leave it in the hands of the pay to fly wonder kids, and see what memories they can reflect back on in 30 years .......I know I'm getting old and cranky.:bored:

much2much
15th May 2013, 17:16
can not get it to play,ill search you tube,33years ago gosh,a bit longer here i feel totally spent,and aged.//found it thats put pay to the soaps or cutting the grass for a few mins

trident3A
16th May 2013, 19:52
Fantastic video thanks for sharing it - inspirational stuff!

Dan Winterland
20th May 2013, 03:48
Thanks for posting the link. I knew the film existed and had always wanted to see it. My UK career started on Chipmunks and ended on VC10s, but with roundels on.

Here's an ad from a Aircraft Illustrated in 1970.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/hamble001_zpsfd83e361.jpg

Fokkerwokker
20th May 2013, 19:55
Brilliant.

'nuff said.

FW

Loose rivets
16th Dec 2013, 17:58
the base training close-ups were filmed using full size film cameras strapped to the coaming.

I'd assumed as much. Must have been a constant reminder of being under the spotlight while concentrating on the task.

I was lucky to have nearly all my training and subsequent base checks done on real aircraft. Dak, Viscount and 1-11 in my case while I was still a young FO.

I left my den last night thinking about the untimely end of Steve. As a dad and granddad, it certainly brought it home how frail life is.

cardmaker
17th Dec 2013, 20:21
Shaggy Sheep Driver and cuefaye, the instructor was actually my father "Joe" Douglas, though I admit he did look a bit like Brian Murphy :) He was an instructor at Hamble from 1963 to 1974.