PDA

View Full Version : Moving soon – Not getting a TV

ExRAFRadar
9th May 2013, 07:41
Hi all,

I am off sick at the moment so thought I’d settle down on the sofa, blanket, hot tea and switch to the documentary channels to enrich my mind.

I have the package from VirginMedia that gives me all the channels bar films and sport.

So flick to 236 for the Military Channel.

First off I should say that I did not hold out much hope here. For at least the past year it has had no real new content. I’ve watched 20 year old documentaries about Gulf War 1 and how the ‘new’ Super Hornet is a ‘Game Changer’. And while I love the World at War series after you have seen it a few times you long for a new perspective. There was a great series about World War I but that is also on about its 5th rerun on Discovery

But none of this mattered. Military channel has gone. My TV guide now shows that channel as ‘H2’. History 2 I presume.

But, and this is the real crime, what the hell has happened to the History channel?
Here are the listings up to midday today:

Storage Wars (twice), Mud Men (twice), Ancient Aliens, American Pickers, Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars (twice). Seriously, would you even bother hitting the info button with titles like that?

H2 is a little better but ‘Chronicles of the Third Reich’ is an oft shown repeat and the rest are Cash Cowboys, UFO Files and Ancient Aliens etc. etc.

Utter drivel.

PBSAmerica is good but they too are starting to repeat a lot.

So I have decided that when I get to the new flat (or apartment as we seem to be calling them now) I am not getting a TV service

I have my PC and a PS3 I can connect to the net for iPlayer etc. So I am getting a TV.

Plus no TV License!! Wahoo.

Am I mad, or am I finally going sane?

ricardian
9th May 2013, 07:43
We moved to Orkney from Scarborough (N Yorkshire) 10 years ago. We bought a new TV set but it has not been switched on for over 5 years. There's always something more interesting on the wireless (BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 4 Extra).

beaufort1
9th May 2013, 07:45
If it wasn't for SWMBO I would be without a TV. As you've said anything I want to watch can be done via the puter.

Lord Spandex Masher
9th May 2013, 07:48
I considered not having a TV once and after a bit of digging discoved that, IIRC, you still need a TV licence for things like iPlayer. Best check!

In fact here's the link (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one)

Dunno if iPlayer is "live" TV.

ExRAFRadar
9th May 2013, 07:49
Sorry, what is SWMBO please ?

Scared I may be missing something good

McGoonagall
9th May 2013, 07:50
Sane. No doubt whatsoever.

I've spent the last six months away from work recovering my health and for the first couple of months I was sedentary. After the first week or so I was climbing the wall. 95% utter tosh and drivel. Tuppeny ha'penny programmes with few production values and ad breaks at what seems every 10 minutes. Found myself accessing Time Team and other shows on-line. Were it not for Mrs McG the TV would be only for DVDs and the Sky subscription cancelled.

:(

stuckgear
9th May 2013, 07:50
nope not mad at all.

with a couple of hundred channels of dross and repeats it's hardly worthwhile. any new series that is half decent gets stopped mid stream by some inter studio politics or they shift the schedules so you think.. oh part 5 of XYZ is on tomorrow, settle down to watch it and nooo.. its a sodding repeat of the Kardashians instead.. so you give up watching the rest of the series you intended to as you wont have a sodding clue what's going on having missed an episode from the plot line and lost the thread of story..

Capetonian
9th May 2013, 07:51
I could happily live without TV. At present we have Sky. I watch for about an hour a day on average, news, documentaries, and sometimes when I'm working at home and need distraction I make lunch and sit in the lounge and watch old re-runs of the Bill. I also watch Holby City - sad I know but at least I'm honest!

About 300 channels of unmitigated low grade drivel.

I prefer now to get my TV content through YouTube etc, but my partner and son are telly addicts ........ so I spend most of my time when they're square-eyeing at USAmerican drivel, either in the kitchen or in my study.

ExRAFRadar
9th May 2013, 07:52
iPlayer - checks all done

As long as you are not watching LIVE stream TV you do not need a TV License.

The Times did an article about a while ago. They asked the BBC via a FOI request how many households were declaring that they did not need a License becasue they did not watch Live TV

The BBC refused to say.

See here

TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check/viewtopiccontent.aspx?id=TOP12&iqdocumentid=TOP12&WT.mc_id=r001)

sisemen
9th May 2013, 07:58
ExRadar You may have been living under a rock....She Who Must Be Obeyed from Rumpole of the Bailey

hellsbrink
9th May 2013, 08:00
Sorry, what is SWMBO please ?

Scared I may be missing something good

She Who Must Be Obeyed...

Not always a "good" thing"...

Totally agree with you about things like the History Channel, and the same goes for Discovery and Geographic now, with nothing but "reality" shows like how custom cars or motorbikes are built. These channels are nothing like they used to be, and that is a loss......

tony draper
9th May 2013, 08:00
All the so called knowledge channels seem to go the same way eventually, to begin they are good specially if you like Hitler Sharks and Buildings being demolished with dynamite,then they insert the occasional old drama series particularly the ones made in the era when they were about forty seven episodes long,then old comedies and bobs yer unc,you have just another crap Sat/Cablechannel.
Oft thought running a satellite channel is a good business all you need is a office with a twelve hour tape player a staff of one to go in the morning and change tape.
:uhoh:

McGoonagall
9th May 2013, 08:09
On Discovery at the moment is the excellent 10 parter The First World War. Started at 0900, extended ad break 0906.

:ugh::ugh:

stuckgear
9th May 2013, 08:12
Oft thought running a satellite channel is a good business all you need is a office with a twelve hour tape player a staff of one to go in the morning and change tape.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

drop the staff member.. digital... you can just set to repeat..

or to quote Ron Popeil. just set it and forget it..

Sallyann1234
9th May 2013, 08:17
Actually Mr Draper you are not far off. In fact you would probably pay a certain large company to do the playout and insert the commercials for you. You might be astonished at just how cheap it is to run a satellite channel. Your only real work is in finding suitable programme material that hasn't already been flogged off to another third - rate channel.

ExRAFRadar
9th May 2013, 08:26
Thanks sisemen

Actually She Who Must Be Obeyed is the reason I am moving. As in I have had enough of Obeying her. Plus she's mad.

But I digress. Here in the Mail is the piece about the BBC and the License Fee

BBC silence over licence loophole: Corporation refuses to say how many households do not need one because they catch-up online | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304280/BBC-silence-licence-loophole-Corporation-refuses-say-households-need-catch-online.html)

Msunduzi
9th May 2013, 08:40
Gave up the TV part of virgin last month. Total waste of £30 a month.

The kids watched the same channel all the time, which they should know off by heart as it repeats every few days.

I used to watch F1, but now you have to pay $ky for that, so don't bother.

We have two dishes, one pointed at Astra2 which feeds four HD boxes, and a motorised dish which I use when I want something on another satellite.

All the boxes are HD, and seem better picture quality than the v+ box was. And they can all play from youtube or USB drive.

The cost of the two extra boxes will be more than covered by 2 months savings on the subscription, and the big plus is that the kids are watching a wider variety of programmes.

I watch the news for 15 minutes most days (even that is repeated every 15 minutes) and I don't watch it at all when the cursed American elections are taking place. Why they have to be broadcast non-stop in the UK I don't know, nobody I have spoken to has the slightest interest. I'm sure they don't have to endure ours!

Not a TV fan, as you can see :)

vee-tail-1
9th May 2013, 08:57
Hmmn ... Here we get Sky TV in winter only, as the signal can't get through when the forest trees are in summer leaf. We do have French TV (Anglo/French family) via a large satelite dish that looks down our valley avoiding the trees. Surprising (to me!) the number of WWI &WWII films on French TV. Also French historical drama is often authentic by showing actors with dirty clothes and unwashed bodies ... you can almost smell the stench of humanity in past ages! :eek:

Cacophonix
9th May 2013, 09:16
I much watch no more than an average of about 30 minutes of TV per week. Would happily not have any TV receiver in the house but would certainly miss radio, Radio 4 being a favourite (despite its often sanctimonious and overly politically correct air).

Only hang on to the TV receiver because the better half enjoys watching some of the soaps and who am I to tell her that they are a waste of her good eye sight (her rejoinder being that I appear to waste otherwise possibly productive on the prune website, as she calls it).

If I do feel like watching a golden oldie (Dad's Army being a favourite) I can do so on the internet.

I have taken once again to reading a good book and enjoying it in my spare time. Can't fault the written word.

Caco

ExRAFRadar
9th May 2013, 09:30
Actually Caco you make a damn good point.

My reading has dramatically gone downhill in the last few years.

I never seem to finish a book.

I am really looking forward to just sitting down and reading.

radeng
9th May 2013, 09:44
Never had a TV licence - or a TV. They keep threatening to come round and check, though. If I can last another 9 years, I may be in line for a free licence providing Irritating Duncan Smith hasn't screwed the pensioners completely.

OFSO
9th May 2013, 09:56
Build a time machine, go back about 25 years, watch an evening of BBC but ignore the news. You'll think it's 2013 !

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th May 2013, 10:10
Bruce Springsteen - 57 Channels (And Nothin' On) Acoustic - YouTube

vulcanised
9th May 2013, 11:52
I dumped TV and particularly the licence at the end of 2011.

Don't miss it at all. Watch a bit of iPlayer and actually prefer that to live TV because you can watch what you want to, when you want to, pause it, skip all the irritating padding where they tell you what they told you five minutes ago, etc..

AlpineSkier
9th May 2013, 12:20
The above has just been (or is just about to be ) introduced in Germany and is causing a "shit-storm" ( to use the German media's new favourite word ).

As it says, all households with the exception of some small number ( Alzheimers , blind-deaf-mutes ) will have to pay. This is causing much anger as the state TV system is regarded in much the same way as the BBC is now i.e. massively-overmanned and protected, over-paid and self-serving as well as providing many well-paid positions where pol's whose sell-by date has long-gone , can be hidden away .

Since it is universal, it is now pulling in all kinds of institutions previously unaffected : crematoria, undertakers, bakers, butchers, supermarkets etc and they all have to pay per outlet.

Obviously hope that widespread opposition will grow and force re-think.

PLovett
9th May 2013, 12:29
"The Boss" song reminded me of a friend of a friend who was so incensed at their being nothing on tv decided to see what would happen if he used his shotgun on it. Very spectacular (it was in the days of the vacuum tube sets - none of this flat screen stuff then).

It does personify what I think should happen to television in general. Its all been downhill since its inception and nothing is going to change in the race to the bottom.

cockney steve
9th May 2013, 13:51
In the last 45 years,I've had a TV license for less than 25....one when I shared a house in my youth and others demanded a TV.

Another period when the Ex decided she needed one to relax with the kids whilst i was out working :rolleyes:
When she eventually departed, I did not renew the license.

Just recently had a repeat performance from licensing jobsworth.

" knock on door..... "Mr. Steve ? ..TV Licensing "
"Don't have one, don't need one, don't want one, don't even watch on computer catch-up....want to look?-Go get a warrant. Otherwise park your detector outside 24-7 and I'll even give your lads a brew.

Meanwhile, tell your head-office A:mad: holes that when they have the courtesy to include a reply-paid envelope in their threatening demands, Imaydeign to reply...meanwhile, desist or I'll take court action for harrassment....UNDERSTOOD???"

" Thank you sir,for your time"....slinks off with lowered clip-board.

Had same charade about 8 years ago.

Bin their idiotic threatening demands, let them do the running, do not offer any assistance...(there are some good Youtube " tutorials")

If you watch ANY LIVE transmission, wether Cable, Sattelite, Conventional Broadcast or Internet broadcast you SHOULD HAVE A LICENSE TO RECEIVE.-even if it's a 10-year old repeat.

If you are watching something on "Catch-up" or "Archived" (Youtube) or similar...you DO NOT NEED A LICENSE....even if that self-same programme is being simultaneously broadcast "live" It's a little bit of a grey area, but they really don't want a test-case on that one, so bear in mind, it's the SOURCE that's important.....debatable wether a 5-minute time delay would make a transmission "Archive" :8

When my late partner died, I notified the licensing authority.....months later they sent threatening letters ,as the Direct Debit was being refused and they were some months short of a full years' payments..
Having pointed out the error of their ways, I received a decent refund-cheque towards her Estate.:ok: Some you win, some you have a bit of a tussle.....but still win.

tony draper
9th May 2013, 13:58
Hmmm, if all these people who are being encouraged to rent out a spare bedroom took in a 75 year old as a lodger do they need to pay the licence.
:rolleyes:

vulcanised
9th May 2013, 14:23
Indeed, Steve.

My little laugh at them is when they are showing F1 highlights from an earlier race, I quite legally watch the morning broadcast of the race in its entirety as long as it's been released on iPlayer (frequently has).

I did get a visit from the Gestapo, which I didn't answer, then sent a complaint referring them to their NoTV online which I had completed months earlier.

To their credit, they did apologise, but hinted it was my fault :ugh:

rgbrock1
9th May 2013, 14:29
Tony D:

People in the UK have to pay a license for housing a 75-year-old in a spare bedroom? :}:}:}

sled dog
9th May 2013, 15:00
What is a "TV Licence", totally unknown where i live ( and i have Sky and cable....) :p

wings folded
9th May 2013, 15:01
Well, of course.

And if you are caught with more than one, you have to pay the additional licence fee for each one, and are subject to the COFAF (crumbly old fools accumulation fine).

It's wise to keep a firearm to hand to cull a few of them in case of an inspection.

G&T ice n slice
9th May 2013, 21:37
Had a tv when there was stuff worth watching and if there wasn't then the pub & a game of (really really bad) darts.

Work took one into Europe in between 1997 and 2001 where I didn't bother.

On one of my brief "come home & show everyone that I'm not dead yet" trips that I had to sit through "Graham Norten" (?) which everyone thought was most amusing, whilst I sat there with jaw dropped in utter amasement that such crude drivel could be on TV.

Came back in 2001 and haven;t bothered with TV since.

I like getting the letters from the TVLA - they're the only ones I get that aren't actual bills...

ExSp33db1rd
9th May 2013, 22:01
Germany - all homes to pay licence whether TV or not

Just introduce it as a Poll Tax ? She's dead now, so can't blame her !

ExRAFRadar
10th May 2013, 04:08
Great posts everyone, thanks.

That's me sorted, not mad, actually sane and off to read a book...

MagnusP
10th May 2013, 07:30
Here's the plan. Using my wrinklies' bus pass, get on one of the Edinburgh buses with free wi-fi. Fire up iPad, start watching telly.

Catch me now, ya bastids. :p

Nervous SLF
10th May 2013, 08:16
No TV licence required anymore here in NZ :ok: "They" stopped it years ago and just as well really as we have somehow managed
to have 4 TV's but only 2 in use.

Exascot
10th May 2013, 08:25
In Greece the TV licence is added to your electric bill. Don't pay and you get cut off. Haven't owned a TV in 12 years. We have no electricity so no TV. Easy.

mikedreamer787
14th May 2013, 01:14
Who can remember when cable TV first came out - and why we
subscribed to it in the first place? Because there was NO ADS!

Slowly but surely $$$ gave way to a very practical marketing idea
and AFAIAC cable channels are no different to commercial TV
now.

As for Discovery yep it used to be very good - but has descended
so far down into mediocrity it isn't worth watching.

fernytickles
14th May 2013, 01:22
No tv since moving to the US in 2001. Don't miss it at all. Any stay in a hotel acts as a reminder of why we still don't have a tv.

pineridge
15th May 2013, 19:27
Siseman and ExRadar.......................
"ExRadar You may have been living under a rock....She Who Must Be Obeyed from Rumpole of the Bailey"

Rumpole, being a good grammar school boy, obtained the reference from one of H. Rider Haggard`s books entitled "She" , I think.