PDA

View Full Version : musical influences.

gorter
9th May 2013, 00:51
I have just now come to a very uncomfortable realisation. My former brother in law is a man I have very little time for. However I have just twigged (15 years after the fact) he bought me a seminal record that formed my entire musical and cultural null point.

Before this tape I was equally happy listening to the eagles as I was to bonnie Tyler. David Bowie was that weird actor from labyrinth, the stones was a little formation 3 miles down the road and gangsta's paradise by coolio was mother's milk to me

The problem I have is my former brother in law is a ****, but I realised today that Doolittle by the pixies was a major turning point in my life and the beggar bought it for me. I find that very difficult to rationalise.

Cacophonix
9th May 2013, 10:33
I guess there a pieces of music that become synonymous with good and bad phases in our lives and people are always part of those times.

I was turned onto music by a jazz musician acquaintance of mine who had a very attractive girlfriend who formed a large part of the reason for my time spent hanging around with them but gradually I realised that this guy was a mine of musical information and my wholly unprincipled interest in his girlfriend was replaced by an ever growing respect for him and his talent. He was discovered by some bloke called Darius Brubeck (son of Dave) and he left for a new (and hopefully successful as I have lost touch) career in the US. As for his girlfriend I still dream of unrequited lust... ;)

For you Mark... wherever you are. :ok:

Dave Brubeck - Take Five - 1966 - YouTube

Sugar Cane (jeff beck group) - YouTube

Caco

Octopussy2
9th May 2013, 11:20
I have a slightly similar sadness - while a number of tracks by the Smiths feature very heavily in my personal hit parade, I find it disturbing to note that Morissey has succeeded in conclusively demonstrating to the world that he is a total, unmitigated [email protected]

Strange to be in a position of loving the music so much and loathing the person who created it.

No doubt there are other examples.

Ant T
9th May 2013, 14:20
Love Pink Floyd.........
Loathe Roger Waters

(But then, so does Dave Gilmour by all accounts...........)

rgbrock1
9th May 2013, 14:33
Ant T:

Same here. Grew up with Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon was one of the first albums I ever bought. Roger Waters whines too much for my taste.

Actually, Roger Waters and David Gilmour made up back in 2005 when they appeared together during Live 8 (or some such benefit concert) and Gilmour let loose with his Strat during his solo in Comfortably Numb. That solo still gives me goose bumps and sends chills down, or up, my spine.*

jySUpMqmzd4

*as does his solo work during 'Echoes' from the album 'Meddle' as performed Live at Pompeii.

Dak Man
9th May 2013, 14:49
The Christains are my all time fave band, quite ironic given my agnosticism.