PDA

View Full Version : Sir Alex Ferguson retires

lasernigel
8th May 2013, 08:51
Well the big man has announced that he will retire on the last match of the season. Respect from a City Supporter, who does appreciate what he has given to football in general.

But who will replace him? David Moyes is evens favourite at the moment.

Glamdring
8th May 2013, 08:55
Don't worry, with the usual extra time at Old Trafford, it'll actually be October before he goes. :ok:

MagnusP
8th May 2013, 09:01
Moyes is a decent bet. Another Scot! I've heard Mourinho (not a Scot!) mentioned as well.

dead_pan
8th May 2013, 09:01
But who will replace him?

Rafa!

Martin O'Neill was the anointed one up until a few years ago when he lost his way.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2013, 09:02
I'm selling my Wrigleys Chewing Gum shares - they're going to take a dive if this is true.

Nervous SLF
8th May 2013, 09:11
I will feel quite sorry for the chap who takes over especially as SAF will still be around as a director. Remember the chaps
who took over from Sir Matt Busby? They were always going to be compared and didn't really stand much chance as it was
said that everyone at the club went to Sir Matt instead of the new chap.

Wilf McGuinness and Frank O'Farrell

Fareastdriver
8th May 2013, 09:23
We shall now see MU go the same way as Aberdeen.

Thirty years ago on 11th May 2013, Aberdeen won the European Cup Winners cup under Alex Ferguson beating Real Madrid 2-1.

Look at Aberdeen now; the richest, per capita, city in Scotland bumping along the lower half of the Premier division.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th May 2013, 09:27
Moyes has been lined up for years.

p.s. for those who didn't know, Moyes and Ferguson's birthplaces are 3 miles apart - they know what they're getting.

PukinDog
8th May 2013, 09:28
I think it's amusing when people make it a point to include the "Sir" bit at times you wouldn't write "Mr.". For instance, normally you wouldn't write "Mr. Alex Ferguson retires", you'd simply say "Alex Ferguson retires", so why "Sir Alex Ferguson retires"?

Is it a reverential thing like a certain religious sect must include "Peace Be Upon Him" when referring to their favorite prophet?

Fliegenmong
8th May 2013, 09:33
'Tis a Commonwealth thing Pukin ya wouldn't understand :p

Why do they say 'Mr President', why not just 'President' it's same thing I suppose...

Will you be saying 'Mrs President' when 'Ole Hillree takes the white House?? :ok:

Nervous SLF
8th May 2013, 09:35
The "Sir" is British etiquette ( or similar ) and he is supposed to be addressed as "Sir" as he has been Knighted by the Queen.

AtomKraft
8th May 2013, 09:35
Big Deal.

Man involved in the game of football stops being involved in the game of football.

Listening to the Today prog this morning, you'd have thought something important was about to happen as the presenters fawningly indulged the 'great man', and whether he was, or was not, about to stop being the manager of a football team.

There must have been millions thinking, as I was;

'Who gives a flying fxxk about football, or those who make a living from it?
Retire, don't retire, or disappear up your own arsehole! Makes no difference to me'. :ok:

ManUtd1999
8th May 2013, 09:40
It's certainly going to be weird for United fans. I wasn't even born the last time any man other than Ferguson was manager! To remain successful for 26 years (and at Aberdeen before that), repeatedly building new teams and adjusting to a footballing world which has changed beyond all recognition makes him the greatest manager we've ever seen IMO. How many times over the years have we seen commentators writing us off only for us to prove them wrong? That is almost totally down to Ferguson.

As for who will replace him, Moyes would be a good bet. The rumours of SAF retiring emerged at a players golf day, and huge bets were put on Moyes soon after this. I'd expect he told the players he was off, their first question was 'who's replacing you boss?', and he hinted it may be Moyes.

Mourinho is free and has made no secret of his desire to manage United. He's certainly got the personality not to be intimidated, but whether his style of football/management is suited to us is debatable. Was SAF real reason for retiring to ensure we can get Mourinho before he goes back to Chelski?

If not, then Laurent Blanc would be a good option. He did really well with Bordeaux before managing France and was at United as a player. Solksjaer could also be added to the ex-players list, but is probably too inexperienced. Two years ago I'd have had O'Neill as my personal favourite, I always thought he was a top manager but he really struggled at Sunderland which doesn't bode well.

PukinDog
8th May 2013, 10:03
Nervous SLF
The "Sir" is British etiquette ( or similar ) and he is supposed to be addressed as "Sir" as he has been Knighted by the Queen. Except I wasn't talking about addressing him, I was talking about writing his name in a non-formal atmosphere like the title of this thread.

"Alex Ferguson retires" (this would be normal)
"Mr. Alex Ferguson retires" (including "Mr" is superfluous to write, so usually isn't)
"Sir Alex Ferguson retires" (this amuses me)

And besides, I think if I were personally addressing him wouldn't the correct way to do it not include his last name and go something like "Hey yo, Sir Alex, tidy up this mess wouldja?".

Fliegenmong
8th May 2013, 10:58
OOOkaaayyy Pukin...so you're easily amused....:E

lasernigel
8th May 2013, 11:52
Met him a few weeks ago on the shuttle down to London, he was in the row in front. I addressed him as "Sir Alex" when I shook his hand. Probably being ex Army have a thing about rank and title. Been attached with US troops in Germany many years ago. They talked to their officers in words I'd never believe. It's called respect for the commission, what you actually think of him is neither here nor there. You can always say.."I think you are a F***wit Sir" and still get away with it.

dead_pan
8th May 2013, 13:31
ManUtd1999

The problem with the likes of Mourinho or Blanc is that they wouldn't stick around for long. I'd have thought ManU were looking for someone for the long-term, to do in essence what SAF has done. Moyes could fit the bill, but I've always thought of him as a bit stand-off-ish, lacking steel. Also, would he'd get rid of Rooney for a second time?

Curious Pax
8th May 2013, 14:16
Unless a lot of bluffing and double bluffing has gone on, then I don't expect Mourinho to take over. Shame really, as I suspect it would be a fun ride for 3-4 years. The main advantage would be that he would be completely unfazed by Ferguson still being around, unlike other contenders who haven't such an impressive CV. A more long term manager would then find it easier to come in after that I suspect.

Not convinced about Moyes - I have a gut feeling that he found his level at Everton - decent sized club, but money always tight so has to extract the best from what he has to remain a top 10 club. Not entirely sure that his style/methods would step up to a situation where expectation is so high.

I wonder if Pep has actually signed his Bayern contract yet?

SpringHeeledJack
8th May 2013, 14:28
Alex Ferguson retires as Manchester United manager: live - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10043222/Alex-Ferguson-retires-as-Manchester-United-manager-live.html)

Moyes is the man it would seem.

SHJ

dazdaz1
8th May 2013, 14:31
Lots of talk about Moyes going to United, seems he will, of reports as of now. For a good punt, who's going to take over at Everton? Anyone notice Phil Nevillie sitting with Moyes last Sunday? Neville 16/1 really good punt.

Daz

Evanelpus
8th May 2013, 15:02
First Thatcher dies, then Fergie retires. There must be a Scouser somewhere with a lamp and one wish left.

I'd love to see Jose there, Moyes isn't flamboyant enough for a club like Man U. The only downside to Jose would be the 'stickability' factor.

Buster Hyman
8th May 2013, 15:11
They won't pick Moyes. Unproven at the highest level, unproven with a decent transfer kitty... Can do some good on a limited budget, bring lower ranked players up to PL standard, but no experience taking PLStandard players up a notch.

He's had as many misses as hits, and destroys Strikers. Can't see Man U wanting him.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2013, 15:27
Pukin Dog - another thing you guys always get wrong is referring to our prime ministers as "Prime Minister Cameron" or even "Premier Cameron". We'd never say that - he is just be referred to as "Mr/David Cameron" if we're being polite, or any number of choice insults if we're not. We're actually far less respectful to our politicians than you guys - I remember seeing GWB snapping "who do you think you're talking to?" to a hapless journo who accidently called him "sir" instead of "Mr President". If anyone addressed Cameron as "sir" he'd assume they were taken the proverbial!

PukinDog
8th May 2013, 15:56
Tankertrashnav
Pukin Dog - another thing you guys always get wrong is referring to our prime ministers as "Prime Minister Cameron" or even "Premier Cameron". We'd never say that - he is just be referred to as "Mr/David Cameron" if we're being polite, or any number of choice insults if we're not. We're actually far less respectful to our politicians than you guys - I remember seeing GWB snapping "who do you think you're talking to?" to a hapless journo who accidently called him "sir" instead of "Mr President". If anyone addressed Cameron as "sir" he'd assume they were taken the proverbial! I actually have no business being on this thread in the first place since I know ****-all about soccer and have absolutely no clue who this Sir Alex dude is.

Krystal n chips
8th May 2013, 17:05
Whether you like football, or are sensible enough to loathe the less than beautiful game, it is impossible not to recognise the ability of Sir Alex and how Man.Utd have prospered under his managerial term.

It makes you wonder how successful he would have been in other areas of employment given that, to effectively man manage the various egos that manifest themselves as footballers,along with having the commercial acumen to trade in the commodity called a player when required, requires a very high level of overall management ability,along, of course, with developing the tactics for the matches and the team as a whole.

Whoever takes over will initially be in his shadow, there's no option here is there for obvious reasons, so it will be interesting to see who is the next manager with a view to the long term continuance of Utd's success.

And he also had a nice way of dealing with certain elements of the media.....notably the more pretentious members.

Tankertrashnav
8th May 2013, 17:17
I actually have no business being on this thread in the first place since I know ****-all about soccer and have absolutely no clue who this Sir Alex dude is.

You have no idea how much that cheers me up :ok:

PTT
8th May 2013, 17:45
If anyone addressed Cameron as "sir" he'd assume they were taken the proverbial!Oh come on! He'd love it! :}

ManUtd1999
8th May 2013, 18:08
The problem with the likes of Mourinho or Blanc is that they wouldn't stick around for long. I'd have thought ManU were looking for someone for the long-term, to do in essence what SAF has done. Moyes could fit the bill, but I've always thought of him as a bit stand-off-ish, lacking steel. Also, would he'd get rid of Rooney for a second time?

Totally agree. Whoever we get should be given a good 4/5 years in the job with no questions asked. If we start getting jittery after a year or two with no silverware we'll be on the road to ruin. You never know, Mourinho might like the chance to settle down and build an empire, he's never really had the job security before. But Moyes is favourite now according to all the media reports. He's certainly got the quality and I'm sure Ferguson will have built up a supportive back-room set up for him. I've always admired how honest he is, when he publically criticised Fellaini for elbowing someone earlier in the season he won a lot of people over. The only concern would be the huge step up he faces. At Everton (no disrespect), there's is no pressure to win trophies. At United, he'll be expected to win every game.

racedo
8th May 2013, 18:15
Sorry to see SAF going but not a shock as he wanted to go out on a high and told his players first rather than the media.................majority of ex players have a high respect for him and you don't get that from terrorising egos.

David Moyes has always been a strong contendor simply because there is a lot of mutual respect and Moyes was person SAF's son turned to for impartial advice on a number of occasions. It shows respect from within family.

Mo'N was never a hope and neither were most others touted over the years.

Manchester United is a club that looks long term not short term hence why they will look for a manager for 5 plus years as a minimum.

Can't believe I can remember the days under Tommy Docherty to Big Ron when we won bugger all and then SAF came along and we won it all............a couple of times:)

Thanks SAF :D You did it your way.

BadgerGrowler
8th May 2013, 23:23
Can't believe I can remember the days under Tommy Docherty to Big Ron when we won bugger all and then SAF came along and we won it all............a couple of times

Wasn't Sir Alex a few games away from getting fired, but won the FA Cup which saved his bacon?

Ozzy
8th May 2013, 23:35
I don't know SAF personally but my extended family does. And he decided to not attend the Beckham's wedding and went up to Aberdeen to attend my relative's wedding. No more details from me...

Good guy

Ozzy

reynoldsno1
9th May 2013, 04:33
Wrigleys' shares have plummeted, I see....

Lon More
9th May 2013, 06:55
So farewell then Sir Alex; or as they are saying in Perth, "former St Johnstone player retires".

hellsbrink
9th May 2013, 07:15
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/253582_550907991627715_1484074260_n.jpg

wiggy
9th May 2013, 07:35
It's certainly going to be weird for United fans. I wasn't even born the last time any man other than Ferguson was manager!

Some of us are old enough to remember seeing (in the flesh) how the Busby team fell apart. I think we knew things weren't going to end well once Alex Stepney started taking penalties :sad: - .......

I've been telling my kids for a while make the most of this particular United era...so fingers crossed I reckon it's going to be an interesting ride.

BTW hellsbrink - :ok:

perthsaint
9th May 2013, 09:14
Indeed we are Lon More.

Decent striker who faded into obscurity. As they all do.

cldrvr
9th May 2013, 13:26
ManU mistakenly confirmed Moyes as their manager on their facebook page. No decision has been made apparently.

Bit of a shambles. No surprise there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th May 2013, 13:51
In the last 5 years, Moyes' Everton has a W3 D4 L4 record against Man U. This is significantly better than Man City and Chelski, for example.

Curious Pax
9th May 2013, 15:14
All official now - Moyes will be United manager from 1st July on a 6 year deal.

Sprogget
9th May 2013, 16:18
They won't pick MoyesOh dear.

Wishful thinking eh Buster?

sitigeltfel
9th May 2013, 16:19
They won't pick Moyes. Unproven at the highest level, unproven with a decent transfer kitty... Can do some good on a limited budget, bring lower ranked players up to PL standard, but no experience taking PLStandard players up a notch.

He's had as many misses as hits, and destroys Strikers. Can't see Man U wanting him.

:p

Ten characters OK!

P6 Driver
9th May 2013, 16:26
On another web site someone wrote yesterday;

"It's good to read a news story about a man in his 70's without it being connected to kiddie fiddling"

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th May 2013, 17:00
Look on the bright side, Buster.

At least he's still with a club that hates Liverpool at least as much as you do!

Ancient Observer
9th May 2013, 17:10
The problem with Moyes' teams is that if they can't bully you with skill, they try to kick you off the park.

Man U have always been that way inclined. (Both the Nevilles were dirtier than Souness or Peter Storey) so I guess they will kick their way to oblivion over the next couple of years.

They will target players like Mata. They will end up with either broken legs for the opposition, or lots of Red cards.

cargosales
9th May 2013, 17:18

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Just out of interest like, could I ask which numbers you're going for in the lottery this weekend please Buster? :E

Back on track, I think Moyes will fit in well at Old Trafford actually. He knows his own mind and isn't afraid to speak out / lay down the law but without all the histronics that we've come to expect from the likes of Chelsea's (too) many recent managers and many of the other European football 'glitterati' too.

They rarely seem to stay more than a season or three, spending vast wodges of cash in the process, before departing in a flurry of ruffled egos and unfulfilled promises.. Moyes has proved that he's a 'stayer' and deserves a few seasons to adapt to Man U and for the team to adapt to him.

I can't stand Man U but wish him all the best there.. To be fair, I've been to Old Trafford once and I have to confess it was absolutely brilliant entertainment....

...They covered the pitch with some kind of decking and turned the end stand into a stage and we spent the evening listening to Bon Jovi :ok:

Now if only that decking was permanant .. :E

racedo
9th May 2013, 17:46
Man U have always been that way inclined. (Both the Nevilles were dirtier than Souness or Peter Storey) so I guess they will kick their way to oblivion over the next couple of years.

Get real.

Souness was an animal who cared little of other players on the field.

Best thing he did was manage Liverpool...............I enjoyed his ineptitude.

DX Wombat
9th May 2013, 18:11
Hopefully the new manager will have better manners and not indulge in AF's repulsive habit of chewing whilst speaking to people. Rude, repulsive and demeaning the person with whom he spoke.

sled dog
9th May 2013, 19:05
DX, +1. Cannot stand the man, good manager ( with lots of money to spend), but no manners whatsoever. Oh, i cannot stand "The beautiful :yuk: game .......

cuefaye
9th May 2013, 19:15
Twenty two people kicking a ball around a field, with the intention of knocking it between two posts at either end. All payed an absolute fortune, by people who are payed even more, and supported by a majority who struggle to pay their bills on a daily basis. All whipped up by a snarling media. A game referred to as the beautiful game, by some who are now disgraced.

I must be missing something. No doubt I'll be told.

500N
9th May 2013, 19:17
DX

I think you are right.

Re demeaning, because he is a perfectionist he thinks he is superior
to everyone else and as such has to earn his respect. Just my HO from
observing him.

However, I do like the way he treats some journos in press conferences
as the idiots they are deserve.

racedo
9th May 2013, 20:16
Re demeaning, because he is a perfectionist he thinks he is superior
to everyone else and as such has to earn his respect. Just my HO from
observing him.

However, I do like the way he treats some journos in press conferences
as the idiots they are deserve.

Pretty crap observation then............

He is a prefectionist because he demands that people who get paid to do a job do it, he understood that the club is more important than any one single player and that as manager he is responsible for his players. Those attempting to believe they were bigger than the club were sold. He sought loyalty and rewarded it.

Over the last 20 years the number of managers who he has personally called and offered support to is phenomenal. Be they up and coming or ones who have had a hard time.

He didn't get success handed to him he built it again and again realising when at the top you need to keep going and improving.

I attended a conference about 6-7 years ago when one of the people giving a talk was speaking about English FA courses run for new managers. It was a different insight to a different business.

A shocking statistic was that most new managers only manage a single club before being sacked never to get another chance. Person was not a Man Utd fan and hated them but told of one trait that seemed to run through the courses that were ran. Alex Ferguson was a constant that was spoken about in providing support for new managers and offering assistance and advice.

Initially because quite a few ex Man United players became managers an assumption was it was only done for them until meeting others who were shocked that 1.) he called them 2.) knew all about them and 3.) offered support and advice. It was described as man marking a striker one day and running a million pound business the next with no training then getting a call from a god within the game offering assistance and help.

I know of friends of friends involved in lower league clubs who drew Man Utd in cup competitions. The officials / directors of the clubs didn't really expect to be treated as equals when they went to Old Trafford but one said he was humbled by respect and way they were treated. He still tells about chatting with Bobby Charlton after the game as it happened every week.

He said he asked the senior guy of the team looking after them did they mistake them for someone else and got told that your team earned the right to play at Old Trafford, we are Manchester United and our club demands you get looked after and treated well.

Person in question has been to quite a few clubs but he said nothing compares because he went expecting to be brushed off as just a small club and found the biggest UK club treating them on the day as an equal.

Anybody who has had 20 years of success needs some luck but you don't get it every year and not over 20 years.

cuefaye
9th May 2013, 20:44
You're hyping it up racedo, with much meaningless doody-daa. Dreamed up and boringly repetitive pub chit-chat.

I was in a beach bar in Spain last year, unfortunately next to a table occupied by three well-known footbal managers and their spouses. The three spoke loudly and at length of their experiences, and oft referred to their 'recent' meetings with their great and good mates. The three wives were clearly interested! So was the rest of the clearly unimpressed customer clientele. What bores!

racedo
9th May 2013, 21:51
You're hyping it up racedo, with much meaningless doody-daa. Dreamed up and boringly repetitive pub chit-chat.

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/downloads/research/football-managers-0106.pdf

You may think that but given Sue Bridgewater who gave the talk is the specialist well her data backs it up. Oh she is a Mackem and it was when Roy Keane was in charge.

Moyes was sought as assistant manager to Man Utd 15 years ago when he was unknown, Steve McClaren was recruited from Derby and was another unknown.

Craig Levein thanks Sir Alex Ferguson for his influence on other managers | Manchester United Fixtures, News, Transfers | Sky Sports Football (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8699587/Craig-Levein-thanks-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-for-his-influence-on-other-managers)

Roy Hodgson - Sir Alex Ferguson to support United successor - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1440465/roy-hodgson-sir-alex-ferguson-support-united-successor?cc=5739#)

As for supporting other managers then Scotlands manager and Englands manager are stating it pretty clear and lets face it given they spend time among many clubs they would know.

Buster Hyman
10th May 2013, 00:56
I stand by my post. Man U. didn't pick Moyes...Ferguson did! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/Fool/hmm.gif

6 years eh? Pffft! :rolleyes:

wiggy
10th May 2013, 06:56

Maybe, but I'll offer this up - a few years back I worked with a young man who, as a sprog, had been spotted by an Aberdeen scout and was fortunate enough to be signed on as an apprentice by the club. As my former colleague told it on the very first morning at the club, very young, wide eyed and nervous, he pitched up at the club to be met in person by then manager Ferguson who spent the rest of the day personally helping him settle in. I wonder how many managers, in any line of work, take time to do that?

Sadly the lad didn't last very long at the club or in the profession but despite his regrets Ferguson's style of man management clearly had a big effect on him - he would hear no ill spoken of his former Boss.

Nick Riviera
10th May 2013, 13:32
"before departing in a flurry of ruffled egos and unfulfilled promises"

Mourinho - 2 titles
Ancelotti - the double
di Matteo - Champions League

Not many unfulfilled promises there. I am no Chelsea fan but it is not their managers who are the problem, it is the owner.

er340790
10th May 2013, 13:48
Somehow, I suspect that we have not seen the last of the Nevilles around Man U's future management team, especially with Phil's Everton connection...

As Monsieur Eric once famously commented: "Busy little w4nkers!"

On va voir.