PDA

View Full Version : More Windows 8 woes...

ex_matelot
7th May 2013, 10:30
Default browser is Firefox.
If I click on the Internet explorer app thing the IE home page loads etc.

Some links though for eg. Clicking to download latest update of ccleaner automatically try to do it with IE and it does not work.

Am I being bone or is there a way I can ensure ALL links I click on open with Firefox, and why does IE not work that way anyway?

Cheers :)

ArronG
7th May 2013, 13:30
You will need to inform your computer that Firefox is the default web browser.
To do this, open Firefox, select Tools, Options.
Under the advanced, general tab click the button marked "Make Firefox the Default Browser".
Should do the trick.

ArronG

ExSp33db1rd
7th May 2013, 23:38
H'eight it.

Why can't they leave well alone.

seacue
8th May 2013, 01:10
Why can't they leave well alone. MS would go bankrupt if they didn't change everything every few years - thus requiring the believers to buy new kit or software.

Ancient Observer
8th May 2013, 17:05
I do not have W8 on my pc.s, but daughter recently needed a new laptop, so we bought one from PC World as they (believe it or not) had a deal that Google could not beat.

BUT - it has W8 on it. I do not like W8, but daughter seems to cope with it.

However, recently it had decided that "Too much memory was being used" or whatever it says. Apps/progs were crashing and/or slowing down.

As I was the nearest available help desk, I started to do the usual. Get msconfig and task manager up and start deleting unwanted "services" and start up progs....... So far so good.

Then, turn off pc, start it up again, and all will be well......

Er, NO!!!

To get Win8 to recognise a change in either services or start up, you do not close down the pc and start it up. Oh, no. That's far too obvious.

Nope - you have to do a "restart" instead.

Huh. What twit decided that?

ArronG
8th May 2013, 17:09
All is not completely lost with Windows 8.
Microsoft are developing an update with can get rid of the Metro interface and puts the START button back in its rightful place along with other things.

Windows 8 to be redesigned by Microsoft as PC sales plummet | Technology | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/07/microsoft-redesign-windows-8)

ArronG

ExSp33db1rd
8th May 2013, 22:01
Huh. What twit decided that?

Bill Gates ?

"Are there things that we can do to improve the experience? Absolutely," Reller told the Associated Press. "There is a learning curve [to Windows 8] and we can work to address that."

Is it possible to buy a new PC without Windows 8 ? My time will come, and I guess if I have to start all over again I may as well bite the bullet and sink my teeth into an Apple.

flynerd
10th May 2013, 00:23
ex matelot.

Default browser is Firefox.
If I click on the Internet explorer app thing the IE home page loads etc.

Some links though for eg. Clicking to download latest update of ccleaner automatically try to do it with IE and it does not work.

Am I being bone or is there a way I can ensure ALL links I click on open with Firefox, and why does IE not work that way anyway?

It is possible to have a program instantiate a particular web browser to check for updates.
As (usually) every Windows OS has IE, then that is the standard browser to use in such cases.

So, CCleaner may be set this way, instead of letting the OS decide which browser to invoke,
which would be far better.

Thus, regardless of your "default" browser setting, the running program in this case will try to use IE.
In such a case, it would be better programming for CCleaner to detect if IE failed, then to try FF and then Chrome or Safari
to check for any updates.

FN

seacue
10th May 2013, 05:15
At least in the USA, Dell offers the choice of Windows 7 or Windows 8 on PCs bought through their Home Office and Small Business site. There is no cost premium for buying with Win 7 installed. I have had no problem buying just a single PC through that site.

I know of a commercial outfit which has replaced one-third of its administrative computers, The new computers were purchased from Dell and they recently arrived. Like a lot of businesses, they bought the PCs with Win 7 installed, since they didn't want the retraining costs and downtime that going to Win 8 would entail.

seacue

ex_matelot
11th May 2013, 14:11
Thanks for the replies. I had many more woes since posting this. It was logging me on as a temporary profile. Restarting / signing in again did not cure it. I attempted system restore but it would not let me and I had to use the rescue package to revert to shop bought condition.
Luckily I backed up my important stuff.
Before going nuclear and reverting the system I tried creating a new profile and transferring the things from the corrupted one - it sort of worked but was still unable to either create a restore point or revert to a previous saved one.

I'm guessing advanced system care deleted some important registry item. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with this system.

Milo Minderbinder
13th May 2013, 19:27
"advanced system care" is a piece of junk that damages machines.

Sounds to me like you need to backup, restore to defaults and start again without the crap software

PS - the Win7 machines that Dell currently offer are actually often licenced for Win8....but are "factory downgraded" prior to sale by Dell. Its how M$ are artificially inflating the numbers of Win8 machines in circulation - they're counting licences sold, not machines with the software on......

Saab Dastard
13th May 2013, 19:30
they're counting licences sold, not machines with the software on......
Very true, it was ever so with MS.

SD