PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the extra $$ for quallity instruction?

AZNA
6th May 2013, 23:49
A friend and I were talking about him starting flight training and he was stuck on the same old question of what school to choose from.

As for most people it comes down to the dollar, so the question is;

Is it worth the extra dollars IF you know you are going to get better Instruction?

Metro man
7th May 2013, 00:14
Of course it is, go to the school with the best reputation and get quality training. It may get you employed ahead of someone else or save you from failing a check ride. It could even stop you killing yourself.:rolleyes:

In the end it will save you money.

Old Akro
7th May 2013, 00:21
Define quality instruction!

The best teacher is the one you lean best from. There are some very good instructors working for smaller, cheaper schools.

I think your real question might be, is it worth paying the premium for one of the higher status / big brand schools. This is a harder question and depends on where you want to go. You know the old saying: If you don't know where you are going, then any road will take you there.

Jack Ranga
7th May 2013, 03:15
There is absolutely NO correlation between the price you are paying for an hour's instruction and the quality of training. Do your research.

A37575
7th May 2013, 03:28
The best teacher is the one you lean best from

Don't be fooled by the pretty uniform, stripes on the shoulders, big wings and a flashy wrist-watch. It is almost impossible to know for certain whether the instructor you are given by the flying school is a true professional or a just another hour builder who is not interested in instructing.

There is no way of telling unless by trial and error. You pay your money and you take your chances. It is not a desirable state of affairs but it has ever been so.

Clare Prop
7th May 2013, 04:25
All that glitters is not gold.

If your instructor follows the syllabus and at the beginning of each lesson you know exactly what is expected of you and at of each lesson you feel you have achieved the objectives and made progress then you are getting good quality instruction.

Definition of quality? well I'd say it's a consistent standard (Day VFR syllabus) leading to continuous improvement in the product (getting the licence)

Lots of difference between a "nice" instructor (lesson lots of fun but learned nothing) and a "good" instructor (might be a bit growly but brings out the best in you and isn't desperately trying to be your mate)

Best instructor I ever had was also a TV repairman. He'd turn up for the lesson in his TV repairman uniform. CFI wore board shorts and a singlet as he'd come from surfing and would go straight back to the beach after work. I'd never seen an instructor all dressed up as an airline pilot until I came to Australia! I thought it was a joke until I realised they ALL looked like that at that place...so I went to a school where they looked like, well, flying instructors (no bling or bull****) and finally got somewhere with my licence conversion. The ones in the costumes were just playing at it. Think of the overheads of the big glossy places, you are paying for all that.

RadioSaigon
7th May 2013, 05:30
Surprises me that such a question would even be asked! Of COURSE it's better to pay a little more to get Quality - in whatever you are spending your hard-won dollars on, IMO. Quite how you are going to measure and quantify the quality of the instruction you are likely to receive -until you are IN the system though- eludes me. All the best with that. There's a heap of threads with varying opinions on most places here, if you search.

Andy_RR
7th May 2013, 06:17
The more the instructor can teach you outside the aeroplane, the cheaper and better it will be. The quality of the pre-flight briefing is the best indicator of how much you'll get out of the flight hours you are going to pay for, in my opinion.

Aussie Bob
7th May 2013, 10:14
The more the instructor can teach you outside the aeroplane, the cheaper and better it will be

While the above is true, the more you can teach yourself the better and cheaper it will also be. My very best students have always come back well read and well studied. If you can brief the instructor you (your friend) will save heaps.

carsickpuppy
7th May 2013, 10:33
I agree with Andy, learn on the ground and practice in the aircraft. If you find your instructor rushing through the pre-flight briefing, answering queries with statements like "we'll talk about in the air", perhaps he or she is not as interested in teaching as you are in learning.
I would venture to say that can happen at a high dollar joint or low dollar outfit. Research the flight school/instructors as much as possible by talking to former students.

Shagpile
7th May 2013, 10:44
we'll talk about in the air

Whoa alarm bells ... as an instructor if you engage in conversation to debrief something airborne (a) They aren't listening, and (b) You've just wasted 0.1 hrs over the sortie that could be an extra circuit or a couple of stalls. If they completely don't get it, move on, debrief on the ground and have a go next time.

I was on the receiving end of this not long ago going for a quick ride in a helicopter learning to hover/land. 100% max'd out, all I heard were key words. Soon as he started talking in sentences, my hearing stopped.

Homesick-Angel
7th May 2013, 12:28
Does the word sausage factory come to anyones mind??

You pay absolute top dollar to go to joints like that, and what you get is a lucky dip. Could be good-Could be sh1t..

The problem is when you first start out you probably wont know what a good or bad instructor is...

If they seem keen, are a positive influence in the air and on the ground, give you time, and push you to do the work you need to do to achieve your flying goals, then your probably on a winner.

If they look bored, crack the Sh1ts at you in your first 2 or three lessons, give you no time, ask you to pay upfront, and dont give a rats about your goals, walk the other way!

Good luck..

Tee Emm
7th May 2013, 13:15
and a "good" instructor (might be a bit growly

I for one wouldn't have a bar of a 'growly" instructor.

crack the Sh1ts at you in your first 2 or three lessons, give you no time, ask you to pay upfront, and dont give a rats about your goals, walk the other way!

Isn't `cracking the ****s` just another way of describing a `growly instructor' :E
Either way, as the man said - walk the other way.

Checkboard
7th May 2013, 14:07
Is it worth the extra dollars IF you know you are going to get better Instruction?
If a bad instructor means you fly 3 more hours to solo, or repeat a Nav, or doesn't prep you properly, so that you fail a test - how many thou$and$ will that cost you at Dual aircraft rates and testing fees?

Of course, the question really isn't how much you are paying - but how to recognise you will get "better instruction".

Chocks Away
7th May 2013, 14:23
Some great replies above. :ok:
Only thing I can add, from my 25 years so far, is try to do all renewals/training with an Instructor of more experience than yourself.
When I have had the choice, I've requested this and sometimes ended up with the CFI or business owner. I've done this as when it's my $$, I want to maximise efficiency and have the greatest chance of learning much more (not go backwards).
(The time I was lumped with a junior, I ended up straightening up his flying issues & misunderstandings).
As said by others above, do you research on school reputations.

Shagpile
7th May 2013, 17:55
Another point to be made here is the instructor, in my opinion, doesn't actually do much teaching. They should be facilitating your learning. You teach yourself.

If the student puts in a massive effort learning, my job is to go flying with them, show a good demo and keep them safe whilst they learn it themselves.

So yes a freshly minted instructor may not have the best tips & tricks to pass on yet, but by putting in max effort they really should only be facilitating your own learning and directing where to concentrate effort for next time.