PDA

View Full Version : Partial Speed Upgrade?

mcdhu
6th May 2013, 14:59
I upgraded from 'up to 8Meg' to 'up to 24Meg' AOL BB on the 1st but all that has happened is that the upload speed has gone up from 300 ish kbps to 924kbps, but the download speed has stuck at 7072kbps (speeds from the router)

My question is:

Is the fact that the upload speed has improved hugely (x3) indicative that the router settings are correct or is there a setting somewhere that applies only to download speed which will, if corrected, cause the download speed to increase similarly (x3)?

I am using a Netgear DG834Gv3

Comments appreciated with thanks,
mcdhu

jamesdevice
6th May 2013, 15:59
you're probably getting as good as you can Talktalk often sell upgrade packages without checking if the service is actually available how far from the exchange do you live? manuals for that router are at DG834Gv3 (http://support.netgear.com/product/DG834Gv3)

BOAC
6th May 2013, 16:34
IF you were getting 7mb+ before the upgrade to ADSL2+ ('24mb') you cannot be far from your cabinet. Also, if the upgrade is only 6 days old I would wait a little longer to let the line settle down.

I haven't waded through your router docs, but IF your router has a 'DSL' setting in the control panel it is worth checking you have ADSL2+ enabled. There can be a loss of throughput with ADSL2+ for lines with longer runs from cabinets, but as per para 1 I don't think that is you.

If all else fails, you could be brave and try the Mumbai helpline of AOL. If you persist and keep asking for next level assistance you might even be able to understand what the Irish folk say!:)

mcdhu
6th May 2013, 16:43
Thank you James.

It is available ok, my next door neighbour has it. But does the fact that the up speed has trebled mean that somebody has thrown a switch at TalkTalk? If so, what happened to the download speed increase?

As far as I can tell, all the router settings are fine - presumably they must be otherwise the up speed would not have increased?

mcdhu

jamesdevice
6th May 2013, 17:34
mcdhu
Yes the switch has been thrown, but theres always more room for improvement on the upstream rather than the downstream

BOACs comments are valid - ensure that the router settings include ADSL2 (ideally tick everything in the protocol list, or tick "auto")
And wait for a few days for the line to settle down. Speed increases are not always immediate

mcdhu
6th May 2013, 17:46
Thank you Gents.

Under ADSL Settings are the following choices:

Multiplex Method...........LLC-Based (ticked)
VC - Based

VPI..............................38

DSL Mode......................ADSL2+ (now ticked)
Auto (multi mode) (was ticked)
ADSL (G.DMT)

Does the router need a reboot after changing from Auto to ADSL2+?

mcdhu

jamesdevice
6th May 2013, 18:08
It shouldn't......but in the real world its worth a try. It'll make the line resynch so it may come back quicker

it should have worked OK on "auto" but lets see what happens now

mcdhu
6th May 2013, 19:09
Lots of homework/revision going on right now.
Will do later and report back tomorrow.
mcdhu

Saab Dastard
6th May 2013, 19:52
If (and it's very unlikely these days) your wired ethernet network connection was limited or set to 10mbps you wouldn't see a speed increase much beyond the 7mbps. Similarly if the wifi was 802.11b (or just a very weak wifi signal that was limiting the throughput on 11g or 11n).

SD

jamesdevice
6th May 2013, 20:05
only b or g on that router, not N
maybe time for an upgrade...

mcdhu
6th May 2013, 20:33
Aol did send me a D-Link DSL-2680 Router which gave me the same speeds, but had trouble with the wifi to all the various iPhones and iPads around the house whereas the Netgear router does it all without complaining so I reverted back to the trusty Netgear.

Interestingly enough, I got through to the Bangalore helpline this evening which gave a recorded message dated 1st May saying that there is trouble in my area which Openreach is trying to fix - target date for a fix is tomorrow (7th).

I'll wait and see - but without holding my breath!

Thank you all for your help.
mcdhu