PDA

View Full Version : T5 Security - May 1

radeng
6th May 2013, 13:24
Whatever happened to the usual grumpy security staff? There was a very cheerful pleasant young lady helping people get their bags on the belt. Then radeng, having packed scissors for cutting up the tablets foils for holiday in the UK, foolishly left them in the tablets bag. Two very pleasant and friendly ladies discovered this : of course, the scissors had to go, but they could have been unpleasant about it. Instead, a most friendly chat, and when I mentioned I'd left the scissors in after a steam train trip, demands to know more about it and which engines and which routes and how well did the engines perform.....

Most unusual and very welcome. Now if more airport security staff were like that, it wouldn't be anywhere near as much hassle. One hopes this wasn't against the rule book....

Coming back through Nice on Friday, the line started getting longer - and the French response was to open more gates to get people through. They seem to have a habit of doing this at Nice......Although a demand to remove the belt confused them when I pointed out 'Pas de ceinture!' Everybody wears a belt so if you don't, it causes confusion. I have a special pair of trousers with no belt for flying....

PAXboy
6th May 2013, 16:42
I have a special pair of trousers with no belt for flying.... next time I fly, I'll pack the belt and wear my old fashioned trouser braces. :E

Ancient Observer
6th May 2013, 16:48
I suspect that any one of us forced to deal with stressed out travellers/members of the great unwashed, using multiple languages for 8 or more hours a day, would become grumpy.
Just being behind some of these morons who can neither read nor hear simple instructions makes me grumpy.

So well done to the people you met!

Rwy in Sight
6th May 2013, 18:00
Ancient Observer,

The "great unwashed" are paying their salary. Maybe the rank and file staff needs to better communicate to their management that their clients do not have a good experience with waiting to clear security. And please don't tell me the management does not listen.

Rwy in Sight

MathFox
6th May 2013, 21:31
One can fairly assume that no terrorist will appear at the checkpoint today, :) so why not treat the people as travelers. :cool:

As I've argued before: keeping voices low, keep general stress low... Drop a please now and then and the security check can be smooth sailing. And this smooth operation catches just as much bottles of explosive water, forgotten pocket knives and scissors as the stressed up checkpoint where the checkers shout. (Maybe the quiet checkpoint catches more; tha chaos at the stressed one makes it easier for things to slip though.)
But best of all, both checkers and travelers have a better experience at a smooth checkpoint.

ExXB
7th May 2013, 07:41
err... I think that's illegal under EU law. :ugh:

farci
13th May 2013, 08:32
Airport security is a perfect storm of frustrated and anxious passengers, low-paid under pressure security staff and a physically oppressive atmosphere.

Last week at FRA the gentleman in front of me carried a guitar and was asked questions to prove it was the genuine article. 'Of course', he smiled and stood on a chair at the baggage search belt. 'I am a professional musician and I will prove it'. He then played a short excerpt from Cavatina. The whole hall stood still, people smiled and applauded when he finished.

So, fellow travellers, it would appear the solution to security grumbles is employment of strolling minstrels. Enjoy!

Heathrow Harry
13th May 2013, 13:14
they'll turn up with accordions - trust me - it's the default state of strolling musicians.................. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

teeteringhead
21st May 2013, 10:22
they'll turn up with accordions One once heard a "gentleman" defined as "Someone who can play the accordion ....... but doesn't!" ;)

Heathrow Harry
21st May 2013, 15:08
the FSU is full of them - breakfast, lunch, dinner, in the bar, on the street........

hval
23rd May 2013, 19:54
Farci,

Reminds me of a journey from Gardermoen. Got to the airport to join the queue for check in. In a line adjacent to mine were a whole pile of people who were all singing. It turned out a choir was travelling.

Security and police did not have a clue what to do about it; particularly as when each person checked in their baggage they all gathered in one area and carried on singing.

Quite a crowd gathered to listen.

To make my journey more pleasant, I found the choir to be on the same flight as me. Made the whole journey, including arrival most pleasant.