PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into Aviation related jobs

mike40
5th May 2013, 15:23
I am looking at Aviation related entry level jobs such as FBO Lineman and Aircraft Washer. Pay is roughly 10 dollars an hour starting out, does that rate stay the same typically or is that just entry level?

I am just curious because I would take a significant paycut which I am fine with to a point. I can't survive on that long term though.I have no related experience except alot of experience on lifts (scissor and boom) if that helps. Longterm would like to be CFI or Pilot.

Thanks
Mike

Lineboy4life
6th May 2013, 04:17
look into aircraft towing if your based near a larger airport...2 pilots I worked with did this whilst learning to fly...pay was great for a relatively quick qualification...

jsfboat
6th May 2013, 14:13
I worked at a mechanic's assistant for about a year, great experience, and you learn the systems of the airplanes you're learning to fly on. Plus if you're smart, and not lazy (like I sometimes am) you'll log everything you did and can work towards that A&P which will always come in handy for a second career option. I got my job just by going to the local airports and asking around.

jrmyl
6th May 2013, 22:29
I'm just curious why you want to take a pay cut to work at an FBO? Do you think you need to do some sort of aviation related work to be a pilot? You don't. Most pilots never worked in the industry prior to learning to fly.

My suggestion is to figure out how much you would earn doing that job. Then take what you make now and subtract that amount from your earnings. Put the difference in savings. Then when you have a bit saved up use that to pay for your flight training. There is no reason to quit a good paying job just to be around airplanes. :ugh:

mike40
7th May 2013, 10:47
My current well paying job is seasonal (summer). I get paid well but if it aint summer I am spending the money I earned from summer. Thats why I can justify a pay cut. I was honestly looking to see if I could find anything around $12 with benefits or how long it would take to get to that point couldnt find anything online. I guess I may stay in the same trade just different company as I am getting the impression these are kind of dead end jobs?

Thanks
Mike

jrmyl
8th May 2013, 00:52
Yes, they are.

Now saying that, I will qualify it with I did work the ramp for an airline while I was in college. But it was simply to earn money, not to learn to fly. I understand the desire to get close to the equipment, but once you start learning to fly you will be in the equipment.

Now if you can find two jobs that both pay the same amount with one being at the airport. Then yes, I would take the one at the airport. It never hurts to be there where you can see how things operate and maybe make some connections for the future.