PDA

View Full Version : How to switch back to Windows XP for Win 8

airbus_driver319
4th May 2013, 17:23
Hi guys,

I have a laptop running windows 8, I have a lot of Airbus software on this laptop including the LPC NG. Everything was working just fine, then all of a sudden (without changing anything) the LPC stops working correctly.

I have tried a fresh install of the software, even reinstalled windows 8... still the same issues.

How do I run Windows XP, from within Windows 8 and use the XP mode to run these programs?

Thanks in advance!

grumbles69
4th May 2013, 18:11
Right click on programme you want to run and select 'compatibility mode' from drop down menu.

Booglebox
4th May 2013, 18:16
"Windows XP Mode" doesn't exist in Windows 8. Instead MS gives you Hyper-V. To use it you need to have a modern processor (and not a cheapo Celeron or something) with VT extensions (Intel) or SLATS (AMD). Check on ark.intel.com
to get hyper-v working, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off and tick Hyper-V. Restart. Open Hyper-V config mgr (on your start screen) and make a new VM for XP. To see the "screen" you can right-click on it to open Virtual Machine Connector.
You will need a copy of XP (.iso or CD) to install it with.
If you need network access, you'll need to configure the VM "hardware" to use the "legacy network adapter" as XP doesn't support the default one.

Hyper-V is very powerful and designed for servers. Other options are VirtualBox, QEMU and a few others, but I prefer to use the recommended MS way of doing things where possible. :} good luck!

mixture
4th May 2013, 21:09
Windows XP is obsolete.

Don't do it if you know what's good for you.

Have you tried running the Airbus software in compatability mode, or getting a more up to date version ?

lomapaseo
4th May 2013, 23:29
Don't do it if you know what's good for you.

from my read that applies to Windows 8 as well :)

ExSp33db1rd
6th May 2013, 04:45
H'eight it.

EW73
17th May 2013, 04:42
I've been looking around for a new machine recently, and I've been warned off Windows 8 by several.
I've been exposed to Windows 7 at various places and that seems sort of OK, guess I'll be going for that!

Cheers, '73