PDA

View Full Version : Buying a kilt

Dimensional
27th Apr 2002, 17:35
Well? :)

It's just that I have our school's 6th form ball coming up (July 4th)and, seeing as you lot are such a wise and knowledgeable bunch, does anyone know where I can buy a kilt (either Mackintosh or Clan Chattan) and the other associated garb, preferably fairly quickly?

It's just I have £50 riding on the fact that I won't turn up on the night in a kilt (true scottish style not specified :D )

-D

Nostradamus
27th Apr 2002, 17:37
I hear they sell them in scotland?

BlueDiamond
27th Apr 2002, 17:47
A better option might be for you to hire the full kit especially if it's for just the one event.

Have a look in the Yellow Pages (or whatever your equivalent is) and you should be able to find what you need plus the right people to advise you on what to wear with it.

I suspect that the price of buying the genuine article would be somewhat prohibiitive as a real kilt is a fairly "complex" item of clothing requiring a degree of skill to be well made.

Good luck with the bet!

:cool:

curmudgeon
27th Apr 2002, 18:16
I'm looking to buy a kilt at the moment (they shrink around the waistband over time, thus necessitating replacement) and the cheapest that I've found is mail order at about £250. All the other gear is extra, and you'll find that you can't wear a normal jacket with it as they're too long. For somewhere round about London, expect to pay about £350.

Using Google and typing "kilt hire", I found this site where you can get all the gear for 3 days for £89.99. http://www.highlandhire.com/agents/jakes.html Knowing the cost of all the bits and pieces, that doesn't sound too outrageous.

Best of luck!

"Is anything worn under the kilt?"
"Naa, lassie, its aw like new!"

cur

edited to get the link working

tony draper
27th Apr 2002, 18:31
For fifty quid yer could buy three Scotsmen. :rolleyes:

redsnail
27th Apr 2002, 20:06
Tony, very true but like most things. It isn't the initial purchase price that is the worry, it is the running costs. I would hate to think what the drinks bill for 3 Scotsmen would be over 3 days!!! :eek:

djk
27th Apr 2002, 20:10
Dimensional,

is the clan's tartan important as to the final attire?
if it is there's a place on Regents Street, London that specializes in formal attire and would provide you with the appropriate tartan for the occasion. although being in central London they might charge a fair amount

or you might find details of the actual tartan required on the web somewhere and a suitable tailors could provide you with the correct outfit

Kilted
27th Apr 2002, 20:34
Knowing one or two things about the sacred garment, I will try to help.

I gather you are in Essex, though , where, I am not sure. There is an excellent establishemtn in Cambridge, so please let me know if that is convenient to you. They will either sell or hire, although buying a kilt normally takes quite some time - which you seem to have, as they are made to measure. Alternatively, you could easily hire one, as already suggested, and ,most dress hire shops will be able to advise.

If I can help further, let me know!

tony draper
27th Apr 2002, 22:30
Don't think they are made to such a high standard now, after all we taught the scots how to build houses and they no longer have to live in their kilts. :rolleyes:

brockenspectre
27th Apr 2002, 22:38
For a traditional kilt go to the website of Hector Russell - kiltmakers in Inverness - they are wonderful! Tailor making and ready-made ... my late mom always got her tartan and highland "stuff" from them and I have found them very prompt and responsive to all enquiries.

http://www.hector-russell.com

:D

Feeton Terrafirma
28th Apr 2002, 05:17
And I thought that a kilt was the remanence of an old picnic rug! :eek:

Actually I still do, but donít tell those little Scottish fellers, because it might upset them a tad to realise they are wearing someones old picnic!!
:p ;)

Skytrucker87
28th Apr 2002, 06:57
Dimensional, if indeed you are in Essex there is a shop in Witham which can offer exactly what you need. mail me if you need more info.

PilotsPal
28th Apr 2002, 14:00
Be very honest with yourself - have you got the legs for it? The only men who really shouldn't wear a kilt are those with - how can I put this delicately? - insignificant legs.

Assuming you've got a fine pair of calves on you, I trust you're going to wear the thing properly. Be prepared for female examiners.

Dimensional
28th Apr 2002, 17:13
Thanks all!

Brokenspectre: knew of *a* shop in Inverness, where my mother bought her kilt etc (we used to live up by Lairg, north of Inverness, so I know that area fairly well).

Have found two hire shops in the near vicinity (Billericay and Witham) ... but I still like the idea of buying one outright :) Don't think the bank balances would stretch to that though.

And PP: "Insignificant" legs? I'll have you know that they were only just under the maximum length for the RAF :) And as for wearing it properly -- already had requirements for "inspection" :D

-D

...edited because it posted the message halfway through me writing it!

You want it when?
28th Apr 2002, 23:13
A million and five years ago, the then not quite Mrs YWIW spent a fortune on a dress for our wedding. Being half Scottish I tried to spend as much on a kilt in the family tarten.

Sit down - from a little shop in Coldstream I spent just shy of £700 on the full works - shoes, socks, kilt (clan MacPherson (sp)), shirt, bonnie prince charlie jacket (evening wear), pins, and some matching ties. I've worn it about 10 times since (approx twice a year). Great investment - and yes (he say's modestly) I've got the legs for it. :D.

Hiring from Moss Bros - £50 for the weekend. But hey is she was going to spend loads then so was I...

Bally Heck
28th Apr 2002, 23:42
Of course Dimensional, if you have any Geordie blood in your lineage, you could save a fortune by wearing the traditional Geordie wedding attire. I think a pair of clogs, a pair of old breeks tied round the waist with string (and stained with urine), and a shirt, the detachable collar of which died with the victorian ancestor who once owned it should do.