PDA

View Full Version : What equipment makes an N reg IFR legal in the UK

piperboy84
3rd May 2013, 14:12
I am considering upgrading my N reg VFR equipped aircraft for IFR capabilities. I will need to keep it in compliance with FAA (as itsN registered) and UK (as that's where i fly) equipment list compliance.

The current panel is relatively new and has the following:

1 PMA 8000b audio panel
1. Garmin sl40 radio
1 Garmin 330 xponder
1 garmin panel mount VFR 496 gps
Standard instrument 6 pack.

What would be the minimum equipment I would need to purchase to be IFR legal? I was looking at the Aspen Avionics evolution 1000 pro to replace the AI and DG with an electronic AI and HSI.

Do i have to faff around installing ADF steam gauges etc?. what about DME? can i keep my existing VFR gps ( obviously for VFR use only) and just have Aspen type glass HSI/VOR units fitted into the empty 31/2 panel holes for ILS approaches?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Evolution 1000 | Products | Aspen Avionics (http://www.aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/evolution-1000)

bookworm
3rd May 2013, 15:20
There's a jurisdictional difference between requirements for "equipment" (which is determined by the state of registry) and "radios" (which is determined by the state you're flying through).

For the UK, for IFR in controlled airspace you need:

* COM radio, must be 8.33 capable from 1 Jan 2014
* Mode S transponder
* Radio communication and radio navigation equipment capable of enabling the aircraft to be navigated along the intended route including: (a) ADF (b) DME and (c) VOR.
* RNAV5 system (effectively an IFR approved GPS) is required for enroute controlled airspace (airways).

There is now an exemption that allows you to fly enroute without the ADF, but it is still required for many approaches.

Under EAS OPS rules, the specific requirement for ADF/DME/VOR will disappear. The rest is the same. If you (the operator) are resident in the EU, you will also need to adhere to EASA OPS rules in their entirety, though the equipment requirements are not onerous (the six-pack).

piperboy84
3rd May 2013, 17:00
thanks bookworm,

So it looks like, forget the Aspen, ditch the garmin 496, replace it with a Garmin GTN 650 which would also become a 8.33 equipped com 1, keep the old sl40 for a non 8.33 com 2 and just wait for easa to drop the vor/adl/dme requirements

englishal
3rd May 2013, 17:15
Not forgetting that you need to have the FAA pitot static and transponder checks every 24 months. These can only be done at an FAA repair station in the UK (of which there are quite a few, but your IA / A&P can't do them).

Won't a GTN650 (which I presume in an IFR certified GPS) give you Nav as well, so you'd have VOR. If you are not going to fly an NDB approach then you could forget ADF (as you would be navigating enroute with your 650). Many +DME approaches specify that they can be flown by getting radar ranges from the controller.

Personally I think that an IFR certified GPS should easily be able to do away with the requirement for DME, I dunno why it takes so long in the UK though, it went donkeys years ago in the USA.

custardpsc
3rd May 2013, 20:58
Not also forgetting that it all needs to be fm-immune as well

piperboy84
3rd May 2013, 21:14
fm-immune never heard of that but i assume if the kit is TSO'd it would meet all currents regs

piperboy84
4th May 2013, 10:46
so you'd have VOR

Yes the GTN is also a VOR receiver, so i assume i would need to buy a vor head.

englishal
4th May 2013, 13:12
Whats a VOR head? We just bought a 430W and Garmin CDI and that was it....