PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Captain

hammerhead70
2nd May 2013, 18:03
I'm curious how the major offshore companies like CHC, Bristow etc upgrade Co-Pilots to Commander. Do they have a mentoring / PICUS program? What's involved in that? Is there a final check ride, before you get the blessing? What does that check ride consist of?

griffothefog
2nd May 2013, 18:13
Don't know what happens these days, but back in the mid eighties they just said "Griffo your a legend, here's 4 bars" :E

Happy days.......... No bull**** :ok:

hammerhead70
2nd May 2013, 19:45
lol ... clearly they couldn't let the opportunity pass to have a true legend flying for them as a captain! i bet you were on the front page of every aviation magazine and company brochure at the time!?!? :cool:
unfortunately, not everybody is a born legend and those good ol' days are gone!

Anthony Supplebottom
2nd May 2013, 19:48
I'm curious how the mayor offshore

I think you are right and that captaincy (including its coveted four bars) is now awarded by an Offshore Mayor as part of the offshore industry's new ceremonial protocol. ;)

hueyracer
2nd May 2013, 20:30
i bet you were on the front page of every aviation magazine and company brochure at the time!?

Yep-he was on both of them....
;)

SASless
2nd May 2013, 20:52
I don't know about the "Legend" but he was certainly "notorious"...related concepts in a left handed way!

HeliComparator
3rd May 2013, 08:06
Bristow has a fairly comprehensive command progression scheme that starts shortly after a newby gets his copilot line check. A programme of flight reports, 6 monthly interviews to review, refresher line training. Progression to RHS and SFO, then the command course which comprises evaluation of technical knowledge, some simulator sessions with a real copilot, some refresher / P1 line training and finally a P1 line check.