PDA

View Full Version : ATPL is it worth asking for a re-mark?

Tinytim
27th Apr 2002, 13:50
My lad who was hoping to follow me into this wonderful profession which beats working for a living (mostly!) has just tripped up on his last re-take missing Gen Nav by 2%.

Does anyone know if asking for a re-mark has ever resulted in any change.

It is critical in his case as he's got to resit the lot otherwise .

Any views , advice welcomed.

Congrats to all you Guys and Gals who have got the results you were looking for.

skylord757
27th Apr 2002, 18:26
Sorry to say it is highly unlikely that a re-mark will make any difference I have known people as well as myself when I was training a few years ago that when asked the CAA to re-mark the paper after not getting the results I wanted just made no difference at all just seemed like another money making way for the CAA.

It looks like your lad will have to re-sit them all again, it is a shame but just keep at it because it is worth the blood, sweat and tears. :)

AllyPally
27th Apr 2002, 18:37
I agree it is a waste of time. I failed Perf A yet I was convinced I had got all the questions right as I had a natural leaning towards graphs etc (BSc Eng!!). In the same batch of papers I got 100% in another paper (I think it was pressurisation etc) but I knew I hadn't answered all the questions correctly so I asked for a remark thinking they had mixed up some papers. Still failed and a few quid lighter so I resat Perf A and low and behold I got 100% having done nothing different in preparation for the exam. I wouldn't waste my money asking for a remark - the CAA is never wrong!!
AP
:confused:

El Desperado
27th Apr 2002, 19:19
There were one or two cases I recall where a remark was asked for and the results were changed. One mark went up to a pass, one went down.

Tricky really - I agree with the other posters; the chances of it being wrong are very very slim, but if you don't mind spending the money, you've got nothing to lose except some cash.

The remarks are done by humans, rather than the computers so it is given a better looking over... how much money do you have ??!!

Good luck.. you'll need it.

Tinytim
28th Apr 2002, 20:10
Thanks very much for your advice guys. Im going to gamble the price of a re-mark.

Bottle of champers each if a miracle happens!!

RVR800
29th Apr 2002, 11:22
It another revenue stream

They just run the multi-choice questionnare thru the m/c
again

Same result after extracting the (inevitable) fee

El Desperado
29th Apr 2002, 21:28
You sure about that RVR ? I have it on reasonably good authority that re-marks are done by (gulp) real CAA people (!) to ensure that the machine hasn't marked a smudge as an answer, for example.

At the end of the day, if money is not a factor, why not go for it ? I'd advise differently if it were eating into your only source of ATPL income, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Either way, I wouldn't bet a dime on the result changing.

STOP STOP
29th Apr 2002, 23:19
Hope your the lucky one and you get a result!

Not just more fees for the CAA.

Fingers crossed.

hushkit77
30th Apr 2002, 07:45
I too missed my last paper...(engines) by only 2-3%
I paid for a remark and it still came back a fail. This left me having to resit all 15 exams again because I only had one month validity left on the other passes!!!! Thankfully I have now a frozen ATPL but what a nightmare!! Now its a race against time to complete the 1500 hours before June 30 for a UK ATPL!
Not much luck my way... I got made redundant in Feb only 6 months after my first job! I keep trying. :mad: :mad: :(