PDA

View Full Version : Airport Capacity in London Report

LTNman
2nd May 2013, 04:38
Airport Capacity in London | Greater London Authority (http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/publications/transport/airport-capacity-in-london)

The Transport Committee’s report, Airport Capacity in London, was a result of an in-depth investigation involving airlines, environmentalists, business leaders and other aviation experts. The report suggests existing airport capacity in London, including at Heathrow and Gatwick airports, could be used more effectively.

Research commissioned for the London Assembly showed:

Stansted Airport: 47 per cent of runway slots are available
Luton Airport: 51 per cent of runway slots are available
Gatwick Airport: 12 per cent of runway slots are currently available
Heathrow Airport: at 99 per cent capacity, Heathrow’s runway capacity is nearly full, but some evidence submitted suggests increasing aircraft size would allow it to increase capacity

The report also shows improving transport access from central London to Gatwick, Luton and Stansted could encourage them to move to another airport. Stansted Airport Ltd suggested that it could attract 1.5 million more passengers per year if the rail journey time from London was reduced from 45 to 30 minutes.

The report also feeds into the debate on need for a hub airport. 127 million people used London’s airports in 2010 and most, including those using Heathrow, flew direct – point to point – to their destinations (78 per cent) rather than use the airports to transfer, which may question arguments for the need for an additional hub airport to boost London’s economy. Seventy-five per cent of flights from Heathrow, the UK's only major international hub airport, are short haul and London remains the best connected European city across the 23 fastest growing economies.

In addition, runway constraints at Heathrow and other airports might not be the reason for fewer flights to emerging economies, but – as new evidence commissioned for the report shows – postcode preferences by local passengers

The Transport Committee's findings will be submitted to the Government’s independent Airports Commission, chaired by Sir Howard Davies.

The Committee identifies the following specific issues for the Commission to address:

In its interim report on future aviation needs, the Airports Commission should set out how it has taken into account the importance of local demand in determining how airlines use airport capacity.
In its interim report, the Airports Commission should show how existing airport capacity in London should be used more effectively including at Heathrow.
If the Airports Commission finds that there is a need to increase airport capacity, it should rule out the expansion of Heathrow airport as an option.

DaveReidUK
2nd May 2013, 08:07
most, including those using Heathrow, flew direct – point to point – to their destinations (78 per cent) rather than use the airports to transfer, which may question arguments for the need for an additional hub airport to boost London’s economyI didn't think anybody was still arguing that London needs two hub airports ?

Skipness One Echo
2nd May 2013, 09:19
The London Assembly started with the conclusion that it doesn't want more runways (vote loser) and "improved public transport to existing airports" is a vote winner. D'oooh!

LGW, STN and LTN all have fast rail links, LGW the best. The idea that postcode preference is preventing peeps using their local airport to access emerging economies is something only a politician working on a cushy public sector salary would believe.

OntimeexceptACARS
2nd May 2013, 10:35
Though rail travel around London is stupidly expensive. I guess that's not an issue for those of us connecting to other parts of the world, and from Scotland, LHR or LGW would be well down the list unless prices were significantly cheaper.

PAXboy
2nd May 2013, 10:52
Thanks LTNman. (and I mean it as it saves me reading the junk :p)

It's good to know that "The Transport Committee's specific issues for the Commission to address" include all of the bleedin' obvious factors that have been known for 25 years. Whew, we might have missed them. :hmm: :ugh:

Phileas Fogg
2nd May 2013, 11:35
The trouble with LGW is that to the immediate east and west the roads are cr@p and from the north, aswell as the east and west, driving to and from entails the nightmare associated with a drive around the M25.

PAXboy
2nd May 2013, 18:07
May I ask a favour Skipness? To save me reading the pile of dung, what the eff is: ... postcode preference is preventing peeps using their local airport to access emerging economies ... I've not heard of postcode preference in regard to airfares before - but I have heard of cheaper prices and connections in regard to airfares! :E

c52
2nd May 2013, 20:11
What does it mean when they say LHR is at 99% capacity? There seem to be hours in the afternoons and evenings when little is moving.

DaveReidUK
2nd May 2013, 23:08
There seem to be hours in the afternoons and evenings when little is moving. From 6am till 9pm you would be hard pressed to find an hour at Heathrow that didn't feature around 80 movements. The only period with significant slack is Saturday evenings.

johnnychips
2nd May 2013, 23:27
In addition, runway constraints at Heathrow and other airports might not be the reason for fewer flights to emerging economies, but – as new evidence commissioned for the report shows – postcode preferences by local passengers

This is gobbledygook, but does it translate as, 'I am thinking of setting up business links with a firm in China, but as I live in Saffron Walden, can't get a flight there from Stansted, I will not pursue this?'

Or could someone provide an alternative explanation. Not being flippant, just puzzled.

harriewillem
3rd May 2013, 09:04
There are lies damned lies and then there's statistics......

washingtondave
3rd May 2013, 09:29
I think the London Assembly Transport Committee are well wide of the mark in their report. London Heathrow IS a hub airport. As someone who lives well removed from London, using my local airport, Newcastle, I have to use a hub airport for most worldwide trips. I do have the choice of Amsterdam and Charles de Gaulle as well as London, but I am more than happy to fly the flag through Heathrow whenever I can. More thinking like the London Assembly and the Dutch and French flag carriers will benefit even further.

DaveReidUK
3rd May 2013, 11:51
I think the London Assembly Transport Committee are well wide of the mark in their report. London Heathrow IS a hub airport.Is there somewhere in the report that suggests or implies that Heathrow isn't a hub ? If so, I'm struggling to find it.

Heathrow Harry
3rd May 2013, 12:58
I thought the point of the report was that they want the other airports to be hubs as well rather than just keep expanding LHR as a MONSTER hub...........

Skipness One Echo
3rd May 2013, 13:29
Source : Caroline Pidgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Pidgeon)

Caroline Pidgeon MBE (born on 29 September 1972) is a Liberal Democrat politician in the United Kingdom and the leader of the Liberal Democrats in the London Assembly.

Pidgeon was previously a councillor in Southwark from 1998 until 2010 where she became Cabinet Member for children and young people and was deputy leader of the council. As the third person on the Liberal Democrat's party list, she was elected as a London-wide member of the London Assembly in 2008. She also stood in the Lambeth and Southwark constituency, where she came second to Valerie Shawcross (Labour).

Pidgeon served as Chair of the London Assembly's Transport Committee in 2009-10, having previously served as vice-chair during 2008-09. She is also a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority and the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority. In April 2009 she launched the One hour bus ticket campaign, a scheme which would allow Londoners to travel for up to an hour on a single bus ticket.

She was the Liberal Democrat candidate for the Vauxhall parliamentary constituency in the 2010 General Election.

Pidgeon was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2013 New Year Honours for public and political service.[1
THIS is the person responsible. Never worked in industry, no commercial experience, professional politician and a Lib Dem. She thinks excess capacity could be used if people can be persuaded to change their behaviour.

She's right, except nobody has been able to change the behaviour of the market, "buck the market" if you will. What she's saying is that in her ideal world, there's space to grow. In the real world which is market driven with winners and losers, LHR lacks the space to drive the business London needs. Except as a professional Liberal Democrat she's never going to accept that. Ever.

Dannyboy39
3rd May 2013, 15:21
Before reading the report, am I right in thinking the GLA require votes from Londoners to retain their jobs? The GLA wouldn't want to alienate their voters would they and therefore risk their livelihoods?

Fairdealfrank
3rd May 2013, 15:52
Quote: "Before reading the report, am I right in thinking the GLA require votes from Londoners to retain their jobs? The GLA wouldn't want to alienate their voters would they and therefore risk their livelihoods?"

It's not even that simple: elections are not won or lost on airport policy, otherwise you'd see the likes of HACAN fielding slates of tiresome candidates.

No, skipness is right on the money describing her as someone who has "...Never worked in industry, no commercial experience, professional politician and a Lib Dem.." Absolutely spot on! and being a Limdem, will be opposed to aviation on principle, no matter what evidence is presented. It's known as having a closed mind.