PDA

View Full Version : Google Image Search

lomapaseo
1st May 2013, 16:06
I haven't played wityh this before so hence my question.

I found the little camera icon finally on Google search, that allowed me to upload an image for a search against similarities. However it didn't display back anything even close. What am I doing wrong?

OK here's the picture of my find on the steet corner. Obviously it came off a car wreck ... but what car?

What key words to use that even comes close ? I even edited out the chrome plate it was attached.

http://fromtheflightdeck.com/MEL/PPRune/Emblem-2.jpg

Milo Minderbinder
2nd May 2013, 00:20
not really the kind of test that the reverse image lookups are much good at.
Those programs are optimised to look for variants of a specfic image, not other similar looking images.
In this case you may have done better by NOT editing out the chrome background, as doing so breaks up any coherent image structure. However I still think the chances of finding it that way are slim

My guess is its off a Cadillac - the wreath and V suggest that, though I can't find an exact match

onetrack
2nd May 2013, 01:02
Just type "car badge" into Google search and click on images and then search through the results.
It will produce a large number of results - but you'll have to do the filtering, nothing electronic beats the human brain and eye combined, yet. :)

lomapaseo
2nd May 2013, 03:02
Thanks

My first attempt did leave the chrome intact. My search on emblems, medallions and such by itself reveals hundreds not even close,

It looks to me like two lions or horses, one on each side of the "V" but no Peugeots match lions with one leg lifted.

whoops I forgot to add, your answers were to my how-to question and as such thank you all for your help and solace :ok:

subyroo
2nd May 2013, 10:48
I'd be looking for a Puegot of some description, the 2 x Lions are like the ones used on Puegot's (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1587&bih=738&q=puegot+car+badges&oq=puegot+car+badges&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.2213.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac..1 1.img.kadIU8meCfQ#imgrc=_).

mixture
2nd May 2013, 11:19
I found the little camera icon finally on Google search, that allowed me to upload an image for a search against similarities. However it didn't display back anything even close. What am I doing wrong?

Those services are a waste of time.

If you think about it, you've got different resolution images, different sized images, different backgrounds, different foregrounds, different lighting conditions, different angles.

That would be one monster of an algorithm to make that work even at a more modest level of false positives than the high level they present currently.

I don't know much about how they work, but my guess is they are based on a fairly crude system of cryptographic hashes and that there is very little image analysis actually going on.

Capetonian
2nd May 2013, 11:32
I searched through the results of 'car badges' under Google images and found nothing like this, but Peugeot seemed likely as others have said.

Not having found anything similar, I wonder if it's a car club badge, or a motoring association, rather than a manufacturer's badge.

onetrack
2nd May 2013, 15:46
The laurel wreath is in common use on sizeable number of badges. The Cadillac badge uses a laurel wreath surrounding a fabricated crest, to give the impression of a long line of aristocracy.

Two lions each side of a symbol are also rather common. Probably the biggest giveaway is the "V" letter in the centre. However, despite racking my brain, and going though a sizeable number of car names and badges, I'm stumped, too.

I'm hazarding a WAG (along with Capetonian) that it's not a car badge at all, but possibly a medallion, or a commemorative item of some type?