PDA

View Full Version : Phishers at it again...

Keef
1st May 2013, 15:28
I just had a phishing e-mail pretending to be from O2 with this month's bill.

It was in fact from unlock2gsm.com which is registered to an individual in Pakistan. If you get one that looks genuine, point to the bit that says "look at your bill here" and look to see what address pops up. If it says O2, it's genuine. If it says unlock2gsm, it's an attempted fraud.

I think Muhammad the Phisher has used the genuine O2 e-mail, just changing the hidden links.

Newforest2
1st May 2013, 15:43
Thanks for the tip. The spammers are working overtime today, had fifteen so far which is fifteen times my usual quota. :ugh:

Capetonian
1st May 2013, 15:46
I think Muhammad the Phisher has used the genuine O2 e-mail, just changing the hidden links.

They are getting clever. I have had about 10 in the last month containing 'etickets' and mostly on carriers with whom I have forthcoming flight bookings. The links are not genuine and neither are the airline record locators where I've been able to check them.

jimtherev
1st May 2013, 23:09
Another one is a Paypal receipt, sent yesterday. My first reaction was to click on the link to see who'd been buying $300+ worth of stuff on my Ebay account... and then, whoooah Jim. Sure enough, 'twas a link to some scrote in the Philipines.
Dodged that one, then.

TWT
2nd May 2013, 01:47
I received an obvious phishing email 4 days ago.I forwarded it to the 'report phishing emails' email address listed on the website of the bank concerned.It bounced back.Invalid email address.Don't think the banks really care that much anymore.

Won't bother next time.

Worrals in the wilds
2nd May 2013, 01:55
TWT, I reported one to Commonwealth (who I don't bank with) and found them pretty keen. I don't know whether they actually did anything, but they were good to deal with on the phone. Maybe it depends on the bank...

About a month or so ago I had a really high quality one, allegedly from my phone company. :uhoh:

TWT
2nd May 2013, 02:28
Worrals,it was the ANZ,who I do bank with.Don't think they care that much with the amount of profit they just announced ($ billions)

Hydromet
2nd May 2013, 03:50
Received one from my phone & ISP which I assumed was a scam, telling me they were about to start billing me by email, and 'click here' to activate. I didn't, and a couple of weeks later, received a letter to tell me that since I hadn't replied to their email, they would continue to bill by mail.

Worrals in the wilds
2nd May 2013, 04:36
Tee hee.
Similar thing happened to me when I got a call out of the blue from a very foreign sounding man on a bad line (it sounded like he was calling from the middle of the Istanbul Spice Market) to tell me my credit card had been compromised. His story kept wandering, he kept messing up his lines and it all sounded completely dodgy. :suspect:

After telling him to stick it where the sun doth not shine I rang the bank to report what had happened. They told me it was a legitimate call from one of their employees and they'd had to cancel my card due to a suspicious transaction. :O

Sorry, foreign sounding bank guy.

Hydromet
2nd May 2013, 07:41
Sri Lankan lady I worked with was having trouble with one of her credit card transactions, and both the retailer & card company were pretty hopeless. When it clicked that everyone she spoke to was in the subcontinent, she switched to Hindu? Urdu? some local language. Suddenly, this calm, softly spoken woman sounded like a tree full of starlings, and I could feel the pain of the man in the call centre from here.
The problem was quickly sorted.

angels
2nd May 2013, 07:48
Probably Tamil if she is Sri Lankan.

You should hear the Filipinas in Hong Kong on a Sunday!

Flap 5
2nd May 2013, 07:51
Tee hee.
Similar thing happened to me when I got a call out of the blue from a very foreign sounding man on a bad line (it sounded like he was calling from the middle of the Istanbul Spice Market) to tell me my credit card had been compromised. His story kept wandering, he kept messing up his lines and it all sounded completely dodgy. :suspect:

After telling him to stick it where the sun doth not shine I rang the bank to report what had happened. They told me it was a legitimate call from one of their employees and they'd had to cancel my card due to a suspicious transaction. :O

Sorry, foreign sounding bank guy.

It sounds to me that the company is very unprofessional. It is they who should be sorry, not you.

When genuine callers from companies are so unprofessional they can expect no less. It's called poor customer service.

Hydromet
2nd May 2013, 08:01
Angels, I believe you're correct.

Worrals in the wilds
2nd May 2013, 09:15
It sounds to me that the company is very unprofessional. It is they who should be sorry, not you.
Absolutely, just what I thought. That's why I now use a different institution that incidentally has much lower interest rates, fees and a better call centre. :ok:

Newforest2
2nd May 2013, 13:00
Really on a roll today, 37 spams so far, a record for me but glad they are not phishing.

G-CPTN
10th May 2013, 06:44
Dear Esteemed Customer,

This is an important Barclays bank security Message .

We Recently reveiwed your account, and suspected that your Barclays Ibanking Account,
may have been violated from another IP.
Protecting the security of your account and that of barclays bank network is our primary concern therefore,
as a preventive measure,we have temporarily limited your access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access,please take the following step to ensure that your account has not been compromised.

1,Login to your barclays bank internet banking acconut.
and you will have to fill in all required information.

2 Reveiw your recent account history for any unautorized withdrawers or deposits,
and check your account profile to make sure no changes was made.
If any unauthorized activities has been made ,report to any barclays bank close to you. (http://www.lugardotrabalho.com/___images/barclays.html)
. . . . . .

Capetonian
10th May 2013, 07:14
G-CPTN

That's about the most pathetic phishing effort I've ever seen! It looks as if it was written by the scammer who I played around with on the phone and then when I told him I knew he was a scammer, sent me this long badly written diatribe of foul abuse amongst which he told me that I was a 'basted pig'. (yum yum)
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5i21HrZmNrRgZaWxzddjicAX-pl9xMCdMLK6wyQ6v901At1Gc7w

All I can say is how lucky we are that Indians don't do these scams, because they'd be a lot harder to spot.

Nervous SLF
10th May 2013, 08:02
Last few days I have had about 10 or so e-mails from supposedly different people giving me tips about what shares to buy.
I delete them without getting to the end so am not sure if they are "Phishing"

Nopax,thanx
10th May 2013, 11:57
I had this one from 'MasterCard' ([email protected]) yesterday;

Bonjour clients de visa carte,

Votre carte bancaire est suspendue, parce que nous avons rencontre un probleme sur votre diagramme..
Nous avons determine qu'une personne doit peut-être utiliser votre diagramme sans votre autorisation.
Pour votre protection, nous avons suspendu votre compte bancaire a travers votre carte de credit. Pour soulever cette suspension, cliquer ici et suivre le procede indique pour mettre a jour votre compte par la carte de credit.

Note : Si ce n'est pas accomplit,nous serons contraints de suspendre votre diagramme indefiniment, parce qu'elle peut etre utilise pour frauduleux.

Nous vous remercions de votre cooperation dans le cadre de ce dossier.
Merci,
Service la clientele de soutien.

Needless to say I don't have a MasterCard so didn't proceed

Hovering over the "cliquer ici" the link is to a VISA login, which is presumably where the phisher would scoop up your details. These bu99ers are getting crafty.

hellsbrink
10th May 2013, 15:17
Got one trying to tell me my Lloyds bank account has been compromised, which is nice since I didn't know I had one.

Account Status Notification

We are contacting you to Inform you that our Account security department identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with Lloyds Bank Plc User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been accessed from fraudulent locations, access to your account has been limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved please Click My Account Activity to continue.

My Account Activity

We take your online safety seriously, which is why we use state of the art notification systems to identify unusual activity and a challenge process to validate your details.

Thanks for banking with Lloyds.
Customer Finance Department
Lloyds & Co, 2013.

Disclaimer: Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Scotland plc are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA authorisation can be checked on the FSA�s Register at: www.fsa.gov.uk/register . Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Scotland plc are members of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and the Financial Ombudsman Service.
This email was sent by Lloyds Bank plc Registered Office: London Strand, 51/55 Strand, WC2N 5LS . Registered in England and Wales no. 2065.

Lloyds & Co? Lloyds Bank and not LloydsTSB? LloydsTSB have their "registered office" at 51/55 Strand and it's not actually a Halifax branch? I'll leave it to everyone else to spot the other glaring errors, but I can't understand why some people do actually get sucked into these scams as the IQ necessary to fall for the above would mean you would struggle to sleep and fart at the same time, never mind use a PC........

PS. "My Account Activity" button goes to a "tinyurl" link which leads to "http://www. crymtur. org. ua/images /stories/llsystemuda/login_index.htm" (minus obvious spaces) where you are expected to enter your login details. A bit of a giveaway....

Capetonian
13th May 2013, 09:56
I received this the other day, not sure if it's genuine or silly, (the latter I think) but I thought it possibly worth passing on :

PLEASE ADVISE AS MANY STAFF/ PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE

BANKING SCAM

You will receive a SMS from a number similar as the one
that you get bank notifications from.
The SMS will indicate a problem on your
account and a "consultant" will contact you.*
When the"consultant" contacts you he/she will
start confirming all your
details: account number and then ask you what
kind of a phone you are using.*
The fraudsters will then contact your cell phone
provider and perform a SIM Swap.
The fraudsters will then beable to receive OTP's
(One Time Pins) and/or RVN's
(Random Verification Numbers) from your bank
and have access to your bank
accounts.*
By the time you realize that your cell number
is not working your money will be out of your
account.
pls broadcast!

Dushan
13th May 2013, 11:09
Any "consultant" calling from my bank will be politely told to hang up and expect my call at the number printed on the back of my bank card.