PDA

View Full Version : atpl examinations and study

nepoleon
21st Feb 2001, 20:53
i need to apply soon to start the atpl exams .What I want to know is what school do I go for, everywhere seems much of a muchness to me.I hear these horror stories that people hate the attitude of some places,I just want to go where they appreciate you as a student.

I know this request seems like I havn't done my homework on this,I have,but you guys seem to be impartial on these sort of subjects.

I would also appreciate any advice on study tips etc.

RVR800
22nd Feb 2001, 17:04
Try PPSC Bournemouth

Hot&Heavy
22nd Feb 2001, 17:33
An appeal to PPRuNe Towers & the powers that be:

It seems that threads such as this are generated ad infinitum. No offence to the proprietor of the thread, but this subject in particular (and others including which flying school should I choose, what's happening with FAA/JAA licence conversion etc) are discussed at length, relegated to the scrapheap, forgotten, and then it all starts up afresh.

I propose that the navigation bar to the left has an index of both ground & flight training organisations, contact details, course dates and prices etc so they can be compared by Wannabees. Or alternatively, a simple links page to those organisations' web sites (with their permission of course).

I know, the information is out there already and is relatively easy to find on the respective websites such as the CAA and various web-savvy flying schools, but it doesn't seem to deter the same old questions being asked over again. A central source of information for the industry could be very useful.

Often PPRuNe'rs leave amazing tips on these threads for websites that contain great information, educational and otherwise. Maybe these links could be compiled and put in their own directory for use by others.

Happy surfing,

H&H

nepoleon
22nd Feb 2001, 19:07
dear hh

Just after peoples opinions in this matter.I don't think negative feedback like yours helps one bit.

Remember when you needed advice or just someone to talk to on the subject.

n

Blindside
22nd Feb 2001, 19:21
nepoleon

I'm not sure that hh is having a go at you. The point that he makes is a valid one. Since I've been visiting PPrune the same topics are discussed over and over again by different individuals, if you used the search function you would see this ( I'm not having a go either).

I have been tempted to ask the odd question but after browsing the wannabee archives, other postings etc I have found the answer to a query.

It appears that everybody asks similar questions at the various stages of their development. There must be a better/more efficient way for accessing the wisdom gained by those that have gone before us.

Best regards

Rote 8
23rd Feb 2001, 14:19
Nepoleon

It may just be me, but I cant find any negative feedback within hh's response just a sensible comment which would benefit future wannabees.

Step out of bed the wrong side this morning?

Hot&Heavy
23rd Feb 2001, 15:28
Nepoleon,

sorry if you viewed my comment as negative. They weren't meant to be at all. Like you, I have asked similar questions and always appreciated the feedback.

The point that I was making is that the same questions seem to be asked repetitively. If you go back through the archives you can find the same threads with the same info in them all over the place.

I was suggesting that FAQ's such as this could be made into a reference library, taking PPRuNer's comments from the past that Wannabees can refer to in the future.

I'm certainly not discouraging your quest for knowledge.

Cheers, H&H

nepoleon
23rd Feb 2001, 16:11
Dear h&h

Sorry for sounding a bit hot headed.I can see your point now.

regards n

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Feb 2001, 16:30
nepolean,

No one is having a go at you. It just appears so wasteful to the regulars to see exactly the same questions asked every 10 days.

The question is very important to you but the rest have seen it a hundred times before. There is a vast amount of superb information but people get sick of having to repeat it every 10 days or so - that means the real gems are lost.

We simply don't have the time here at the Towers to do what Hot&Heavy so logically suggests, so how about this:

There are quite few of you out there fully qualified and waiting for jobs. I suspect all of you got useful information from this site so how about 'putting something back?'

You know your way around this midden so why don't you use the search facilities to pull out the best threads on ground schools, IR training, brush up courses, hour building Etc. Pop the url's into a text file and have it ready to cut and paste into each of the favourite recurrent queries we get here. A great timesaver for all concerned and we will buy the beers at the next bash.

Finally nepoleon, don't let this site be a sustitute for common sense. Everyone who creates and runs PPRuNe did it the hard way simply because PPRuNe didn't exist. The vast majority of professional pilots didn't have this resource to turn to either but they did qualify and get jobs.

Anyone shelling out the sums of money involved in training for professional licences is putting themselves at potentially serious disadvantage by not sussing out the various schools for themselves.

I spent a week of leave touring all the schools when I'd decided to go flying for real. Every school and training organisation is different - take the time to find the ones that feel right after getting a shortlist through the recommendations here on PPRuNe.

I was lucky, did everything in 8 months but I did make one serious mistake along the way. I lost time and money with a (very brief) stay at Auxiliair, an IR school which suited many but not me.

Caveat Emptor

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 23 February 2001).]

Hot&Heavy
23rd Feb 2001, 17:09
PPRuNe Towers,

I will more than happily contribute to this task once my exams are over (April) and provided I pass them of course.

Perhaps PPRuNers could pick a favourite subject or one they feel they have some knowledge on, and submit them over time.

Free beer is enough of an incentive for me.

Cheers, H&H

nepoleon
23rd Feb 2001, 18:54
To PPRuNe towers

I understand that I have been a pain in the rear for all the regulars.The only reason why I posted this is for help,I've only used this forum for about a month and as you will appreciate with any site it takes a while before you become familiar with it.

Regards N

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Feb 2001, 19:23
Thanks HH,

Look forward to lining up the pints for anyone who can help out. Don't forget that if any of you are able to help out with some research you can e-mail your collections of links or whatever to myself, Scroggs and WWW. That way we can help out if even you're not around. We promise to always credit you for having done the legwork.

Nepoleon, I promise no one is having a go at you personally. This is something that's needed doing for a long time but got put on the back burner while the Weasly Welshman was so active here. Sadly, he's become an airline pilot and doesn't have a life anymore so it's the perfect impetus for us to get this sorted with the assistance of the folks on wannabees.

I look forward to having to buy a mega round.

------------------
Regards from the Towers
[email protected]

Hot&Heavy
23rd Feb 2001, 20:34
Doesn't have a life anymore?

Bl**dy hell - that's why I'm becoming a pilot! I thought that's when you got one. Is he flying mail between Glasgow & Aberdeen or something?

Kidding!

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Feb 2001, 20:59
WWW is going through the joy that is 737 ground school and sim. He's thriving just as you'd expect but it is very time consuming.

------------------
Regards from the Towers
[email protected]