PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Management degree for pilots and airline/airport managersmanagers

Laurie Benn
27th Apr 2002, 11:26
London Guildhall University has developed a new Aviation Management & Operations degree designed for both existing and prospective pilots and aviation managers (and both!). Subject to validation, which happens in about 3 weeks time, it will be available for full-time and part-time undergraduates in September and by distance learning early 2003.

Full credit can be given for existing skills and knowledge.

For more info check out our web-site at: http://www.lgu.ac.uk/ca
and follow the links to "Foundation degree".

Boss Raptor
27th Apr 2002, 12:12
One could be critical and say 'yet another money spinning degree opportunity by yet another University'...City University, Concordia - Montreal etc. and all the other MSc MBA grabbers - unfortunately these qualifications appear to have become seen as no more than revenue enhancers for many establishments...

Still will look at the syllabus and COST with interest...16 years in the industry and I seem to have managed without!

basil fawlty
27th Apr 2002, 14:32
Attn moderator.

I thought there was a ban on such advertising on these forums?

Fast Jet Wannabe
27th Apr 2002, 14:50
I am sorry to see a couple of negative replies to this thread.

As far as I can see, this information is potentially very useful to wannabe aviators who are currently at the stage of deciding where and if they are going to university. Laurie Benn , please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the course is aimed particularly at school leavers who have just completed A-levels.

In any case, that’s my situation. I'm currently nearing the end of my gap year, and I'm delighted to say that myself, and a good friend of mine are two of the lucky ones who have been accepted onto the course starting this September.

I have twice visited the aviation department at the London Guildhall, and met the course organiser. I was very impressed with the facilities on offer, and clear dedication and determination of the staff. I think both September’s pupils, and LGU staff alike, are quite rightly very excited about the potential for this course.

I intend to take the management option, and complete my ATPL after graduating. It is my belief, and I'm pleased to say the belief of some quite high profile airline personnel I have spoken to, that having this aviation management degree on your CV - as well as the standard F ATPL will make any candidate stand head and shoulders above their competition.

Boss Raptor
27th Apr 2002, 17:09
Bottom line - experience counts!

A first degree tagged on to your Frozen ATPL dont...in my opinion...decide where you are going, pilot or management (as I have decided)...they are two totally different but complimentary fields...

'existing' = people already in the biz in addition to school leavers...

Mind you wish such a course was available when I gave up education to be a pilot all those years ago...so as far as the 'wannabes' are concerned not all bad...like to see the syllabus and fee structure for us 'existing' candidates...?