PDA

View Full Version : RAF Linton

hippocrates
30th Apr 2013, 18:45
I am staying in the mess at Linton for a few nights in the not too distant future.
Is it still as vibrant as i remember? (Last imbibed there in1996/7). I realise that BFT has been decimated but has anyone else moved in to the mess?
Should i bring Bermuda shorts, flip flops and a hat for happy hour or do i need my suit and tie?

Hippo:E

tmmorris
30th Apr 2013, 19:46
I was there on CCF summer camp in Jul 12 and m'colleague and I were literally the only people in the bar on some nights.

However at the time BJFT was almost completely run down. I have to say the people we met (and the lady in the bar, whose name completely escapes me) were highly friendly.

There was one particular steward who like to recommend 'the supremmm'. This has become a standard insult round here ever since.

Tim

Courtney Mil
30th Apr 2013, 21:08
Just how friendly was she?

VinRouge
30th Apr 2013, 21:09
Not as friendly as the gobbling teasmaid.:E

Courtney Mil
30th Apr 2013, 21:35
Ah. You were there?

high spirits
30th Apr 2013, 21:47
Is the receptionist still there? The one with the 'little black book' full of some senior names. Around on the 90s when I went through on the Tuc. Used to listen in to your phone calls aswell....

Steve the Pirate
1st May 2013, 00:06
Not as friendly as the gobbling teasmaid.

Good grief, that takes me back! Happy days at a great station.

STP

ShyTorque
1st May 2013, 07:58
The Goblin Teasmaid was there during my time but I lived in the West wing and she served the other end, so to speak....:(

4Greens
1st May 2013, 08:17
Dont forget the bowling alley in the roof above the mess.

hippocrates
1st May 2013, 08:39
Yep, that is how i remember it, but i suspect i am about to have another 'Jesus i am old moment'!
The last one of those was visiting Akrotiri in winter 2012, much more desolate and wet than i remember from my alcohol fueled tour in 95/96 as a singly!
:sad:

Madbob
1st May 2013, 09:12
VR and ST

The "Goblin Teasmade" was there when I was at Linton a long time ago (43 Course) and if we are speaking of the same batty then her name was E**** and sadly for me she "favoured" the other P/O in the room next door to mine and not me! Lot's of stories to tell there.....:=:=:=

Her mum I think was also a batty.

Oh what happy times, one of the best years of my life.

MB

ShyTorque
1st May 2013, 09:19
43 course? If it was the same lady, she deserved a long service and good conduct medal. ;)

VinRouge
1st May 2013, 09:41
To confess, it was well before my time... Doesn't mean the legend wasn't still discussed!

The old bowling alley is a true WW2 monument. Amazing base and definately the best years of my Air Force career were spent there.

Stuff
1st May 2013, 10:37
Stayed there as I was attending a conference in York not too long ago. Be prepared for a pleasant shock as you enter the bar. It's a little bit more upmarket than I remember it.

Sadly this wasn't on a Friday so can't comment on Happy Hour but the studes we spoke to were a very welcoming bunch.

hippocrates
1st May 2013, 11:36
Fantastic news, looking forward to it!

Motleycallsign
1st May 2013, 13:21
ShyTorque, from what's been said maybe that should be a Good Service and Long Conduct medal.

I know coat/hat time...................

sisemen
1st May 2013, 13:38
Ahhh......the batty with the tea in the morning and......extras :ok:

30mRad
1st May 2013, 17:20
Had a very pleasant Fri night there last May with YUAS, and HH before the DIN seemed to be as lively as I remember from BFTS days.

The receptionist mentioned was no longer there, but it reminded me of an incident I heard whilst going though training concerning her reputation as a batty. On the way into York one night some studes were talking about her history, only for the driver to turn round and say "that's my wife you're talking about"! No idea if it's true or not!

4Greens
1st May 2013, 21:37
The skittles alley was built by a Canadian Bomber squadron during their time there during the war. After the war the ceiling etc was filled in and in my time during the early sixties we didnt know about it. There was a reunion of the squadron on VE? memory day and it was mentioned to the astonishment of all and sundry and opened up and can now be visited.

Great story.

Wensleydale
2nd May 2013, 07:40
I remember when it was known as "Linton-no-Booze" and bar books had been abolished to make it a cash only bar! Nice and close to the River Ure though!

W.

ColinB
2nd May 2013, 07:55
Was that at Linton on Ure?

Wensleydale
2nd May 2013, 11:06
Was that at Linton on Ure?

Get a grip! All people of taste know that the Ure and the Swale join not far north of Linton to form the Ouse! Therefore Linton is still near the River Ure which has the good fortune to travel through the paradise known as Wensleydale!:ok:

Pontius
2nd May 2013, 11:49
Batty plus daughter AND (rude) Franky in the bar; a winning '80s combination with standing room only every night :)

AdrianShaftsworthy
2nd May 2013, 17:47
Went through Linton in the very early '80's. Remember Franky the barman and the rest of the gang very well! Our course were the proud possesers of the 'Death Mobile'. A very tasteful Ford Zephyr 6 with delightful air horns, 6ft whiplash aerial and adorned with Russian red stars and, ahem, some acquired bangseat stickers. Harry the Staish banned said motor from base for being unofficer like. So we paid local farmer to have it parked up as a substitute gate guard right at the entrance to the camp. Car was allowed back on base within the week!

I remember 'Goblin' turning up at Valley as the brand new wife of one of the junior course at their meet & greet. She had a great time catching up with old friends!

As has been said above, happy days! :}

ShyTorque
2nd May 2013, 18:44
My "batting lady" also married one of the chaps on a flying training course, he lived in the next room to mine. It took her 10 seconds maximum from knocking on my door and slapping down a cuppa to leaving again. His "visit" took considerably longer.... ;)

Can't be the same lady though, I left Linton in 1978.

He went to Jaguars, btw so it's not true what they say about all Jag pilots...... :p

idle stop
3rd May 2013, 09:42
My graduation (Parade, 'Wings'....that puts it in a short period, AKA the Velcro Wings period, as so many had them taken away again....and Ball) coincided with a Canadian reunion shindig, but although I suppose I chatted to many Canadians that night I was certainly too p*ssed to remember anything afterwards!
Was it then, or at another Grad, that the CFI's Mini ended up by (but not in!) the pond patio behind the dining room?
Happy memories....though not of the Teas Maid (was she there then...she may even have still been a Maid if so...?) as I lived in OMQ at Dishforth.
Summer evenings with a beer on the said patio with honesty chits before the bar opened.....social times with our QFIs in the bar IN FLYING SUITS until 1900....unheard of by the poor guys that did BFTS at Cranwell...they didn't even share a Mess with their QFIs!
There was, however, a rumour that buried somewhere on the airfield there were a few boxes of aircraft clocks!
Last there in early 90s, flew up in a T67 for a go in the Tucano....
Of the survivors of my course to progress to squadron flying, 2 were rotary, and 2 ended up on heavies. One rotary guy ended up a 1*, and one of the heavies retired as a Gp Capt; the other went to BA and I met him by chance what must be a few years before he retired. So where did I go wrong? Still flying and loving it!
Any of you guys from No 8 (Interim) Basic Flying Training Course (or others of that period) out there? If so, do PM me.

Courtney Mil
3rd May 2013, 09:56
He did indeed go to Jaguars, ST. Awarded the DFC and later commanded a secret Hawk squadron.

Strictly Jungly
4th May 2013, 17:56
Happy Memories indeed - some of the best Summer Balls I ever attended.

SJ

Canadian Break
4th May 2013, 21:50
My abiding memory of the Linton Summer Ball in the very early eighties was in the early hours of the morning with the Padre walking about "laying out" those poor souls who had become "tried and emotional" and simply collapsed where they stood whilst a certain QFI (whose Father may, or may not have been a well known cartoonist) was hootin' and roarin' and playing Honky Tonk on the piano. Happy (ish) days. CB

hippocrates
5th May 2013, 08:23
Absolutely cracking stay.
The new bar is excellent!

My best experience of a mess in recent years and an example to others.

Hippo