PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe and Ghostery

One Outsider
30th Apr 2013, 17:24
I suddenly had PPRuNe load with just text on a white background. I tried the usual stuff with clearing the cache and cookies but still the same. I then disabled Ghostery and PPRuNe then loaded as normal. I tracked it down to the InternetBrands tracker being the cause.

Are anybody else experiencing the same? I am using FF 20.0.1 and the latest version of Ghostery.

axefurabz
30th Apr 2013, 18:48
Ditto. This happened yesterday and today with my desktop. May try your "workaround" later.

No problem with my laptop, which has the same versions of FF & Ghostery as the desktop and you.

Edit: On a new all-singing all-dancing machine (which has never been to PPRuNe before) with the same versions of FF & Ghostery - the same all-white imagery!

BOAC
30th Apr 2013, 20:16
I see iot occasionally. I think it is just server load slowing the loading of the images.

One Outsider
30th Apr 2013, 21:00
It is definitely linked to the InternetBrands tracker. If it is blocked only text is loading. If the tracker is allowed the page loads as normal. I tried some other sites where the same tracker is used and the results are the same. Graphics are not loading, either partially or totally, if the tracker is blocked.

axefurabz
30th Apr 2013, 21:52
Yep, I've found the same as One Outsider. Let the tracker through and there's no problem.

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2013, 00:29
no probs here and the IB tracker is very definitely blocked

capewrath
1st May 2013, 09:42
Been troubled with that problem for a couple of weeks or so.
Just tried unchecking INternet Brands from the Tracker list - problem solved.

Ancient Observer
1st May 2013, 11:06
Same issue as OP. I had to come here to find out what to do.

I wanted to reply to a thread in the pax section.

However, it would have been a long reply so thanks to Ghostery I did not type it.

Milo Minderbinder
1st May 2013, 12:05
so why am I not getting the problem?
Firefox v20.0.1
Ghostery v2.9.4

Saab Dastard
1st May 2013, 12:07
I find the same - if IB tracker is blocked with Ghostery, the page reverts to white & text only.

Milo, I've got exactly the same versions as you. Possibly other add-ons affect things.

I've given up using Ghostery, just re-enabling it for this test - sadly it's become an increasingly uphill battle, with so many sites failing to load and / or operate correctly if their myriad trackers / ad feeds etc. are blocked.

I do use "Do Not Track Me", however - it's difficult to prove it's efficacy in blocking trackers, although it does at least agree fairly closely with Ghostery in terms of what trackers it detects.

SD

One Outsider
1st May 2013, 14:22
It's peculiar that some are affected, some are not and some only partially. Perhaps someone from IB could confirm whether this is an intentional effect of blocking the tracker or not. Or whether there has been some changes made to the tracker recently. It could help those of us affected to possibly find other solutions to the problem than allowing the tracker.

cattletruck
1st May 2013, 14:38
I also occasionally get the page reverting to white & text only. Seems to only occur when I've cleared the cache and the link is slow, or the client is slow, or the web server is slow, therefore I suspect there is a timeout occurring during the loading or generation of the style sheet. Running it through Fiddler should confirm this theory, but I can't be bothered because once I get the style sheet cached I no longer have this problem.

MiguelIB
1st May 2013, 17:05
We do serve the site's CSS file (the style sheet file) though ibsrv.net so if for some reason you are blocking ibsrv.net you will end up getting a page without any styling.

I don't believe this has changed in the last couple of years actually so I'm not sure why the issue would have just started. However I'm not familiar with how Ghostery works and whether or not they have changed.

We do include other cookies running through ibsrv but they are analytics in nature (Google Analytics) and not ad network related.

Your best bet, as others have noted, is to not block ibsrv.net or as it appears to be called in Ghostery, IB Tracker.

I'll reach out to the tech team to see if there are any further instructions to give you.

Cymro
2nd May 2013, 19:23
Just to add my comments to the above.

I am now also seeing PPrune as text on a plain white background, without any formatting or buttons.

I can see that Ghostery is blocking something called Internet Brands (in addition to six other third-party trackers on this page), and if I drill down I can see that it is blocking a lot of content from ui.ibserve.net.

This problem isn't currently happening on any other web page I visit.

I've had to temporarily disable Ghostery just to post this message.

Saab Dastard
2nd May 2013, 19:34
Cymro, you don't have to disable Ghostery globally to get over the problem.

You can either whitelist PPRUNE or specifically allow the IB tracker - the Ghostery config makes doing that very easy.

SD

One Outsider
2nd May 2013, 19:59
Yesterday I had access to a laptop which had the last Ghostery tracker list update on April 26. It loaded PPRuNe normally. After updating the list the text only thing occured. That is likely why some, like Milo, is seeing PPRuNe load normally despite apparently blocking the IB tracker.

Milo Minderbinder
3rd May 2013, 06:59
After a reboot my machine is now also showing the problem

Nervous SLF
7th Jul 2013, 01:46
A few minutes ago I tried blocking internet brands on Ghostery and got the black and white page. I have now un-blocked it and page
is now normal again.

Ancient Observer
7th Jul 2013, 13:51
I just "pause blocking" on the tab in which I am looking at Pprune. (FF22.0) 2 clicks is no punishment to gain access. As soon as I leave pprune, it becomes black and white for the next log in. That is fine by me.

This is only an issue for me with pprune. No other sites.