PDA

View Full Version : 2013 British & Irish Lions

Dak Man
30th Apr 2013, 12:04
Backs: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland), Tommy Bowe (Ireland), Alex Cuthbert (Wales), Sean Maitland (Scotland), George North (Wales), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Manu Tuilagi (England), Owen Farrell (England), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland), Mike Phillips (Wales), Ben Youngs (England).

Forwards: Dan Cole (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Adam Jones (Wales), Matt Stevens (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Dylan Hartley (England), Richard Hibbard (Wales), Tom Youngs (England), Ian Evans (Wales), Richie Gray (Scotland), Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O'Connell (Ireland), Geoff Parling (England), Tom Croft (England), Toby Faletau (Wales), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), Dan Lydiate (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Sam Warburton (Wales).
A few surprises for me.

Sam as Capn.

No Dan Biggar
No Robshaw
No Launchbury
No Mike Brown
No O'Mahoney

Rob Kearney - Poor 6N
Tommy Bowe - Injured - little rugby
Sean Maitland - Scotland were crap 6N
Vunipola - Inexperienced
Hartley - Yellow card magnet
P'OC - lack of rugby
Croft - poor 6N
Heaslip - poor 6N
Stevens - Past his sell by date

On the positive side - NO ASHTON YAY

If anyone wants to talk rugby **************************** mods, apologies if this is considered bad netiquette, feel free to edit.

mini
30th Apr 2013, 13:48
I see what's happening here... Gatland is using the tour as a training session for the Taffies, he's picked a game plan and padded the squad to suit.

He certainly hasn't picked the best squad available, or Captain for that matter.

It'll be interesting to see who actually ends up traveling when the dust settles.

charliegolf
30th Apr 2013, 19:03
He certainly hasn't picked the best squad available, or Captain for that matter.

Not a Taffie then Mini?

CG

Standard Noise
30th Apr 2013, 20:08
As an Ulsterman I'm happy to see Tommy Bowe picked. I know he had five months out with injury but he was having a good season up til then and has been just as good since he came back.
I am very disappointed that Hartley was chosen over Rory Best, particularly when you consider that Best showed Hartley what hooking was all about during the two HEC pool games and Rory has had a great season other than that. Still, no doubt Hartley's true colours will show through in the early games and Gatland will need to replace him with a 'clean' player.

As for Ashton, well, let's just say if his skill level were to match his ego, he'd have been first name on Gatland's team sheet.

Mr Chips
30th Apr 2013, 21:09
Very strange selections

Stevens - not good enough for England
Gethin Jenkins - not good enough for Toulon
Warburton - not good enough to captain Wales
Hartley - not good enough to lace my boots!

No Harlequins at all.... (from a one eyed Quins fan!)

LHRops
30th Apr 2013, 22:20
Warren Gatland to be the new Leicester Boss when he comes back after picking 6 of their players for the lions tour

mini
30th Apr 2013, 22:41
I was in the middle of a very detailed explanation as to how this selection was wrong when my internet connection went puff!

Sad day for the Lions.

haughtney1
1st May 2013, 06:23
He's picked a squad to beat the Wallabies in Oz conditions....not English conditions, there is a big difference.

Mr Chips
1st May 2013, 20:35
And how many of the Welsh players in the squad have the experience of beating the Aussies Haughtney? What experience does the Captain even have of winning as a Captain?

mini
1st May 2013, 23:41
Coaches have inside info and background knowledge that us bar stool pundits do not. This is a fact that I keep in mind when they do strange things.

Notwithstanding this, I still can’t understand why Warburton was picked as Captain.

Sam is a really good player, deserves to travel and has the potential to make a difference. But, he’s had a disjointed season, this is his first Lions tour – a learning experience in itself – why pile on the extra pressure and distraction of being Captain?

Asking him to lead others who have toured previously, and some who have Captained, as a greenhorn has to be distracting.

Logic would have suggested O’Driscoll, peerless in terms of stature, a seasoned media player and an experienced tourer.

Hartley vs Best? The Aussies will have Hartley in the bin in no time. Best has had lineout issues lately, a major problem.

Not sure where Gatland is going with Stevens?

Very surprised to see Robshaw left out, the back row seems to be ultra competitive in the NH at the moment.

Rob Kearney? WTF is that about?

I’d have though Visser would have been a good bolter, but bolters are not a feature of this squad it seems.

It all goes back to my first sentence that the coach knows more than we do… you better pull it off Gattie…

Cacophonix
1st May 2013, 23:45
My money is on Gatland's choices. He is by far the best coach in the UK at the moment.

And I am proudly South African.

Caco

haughtney1
2nd May 2013, 03:01
And how many of the Welsh players in the squad have the experience of beating the Aussies Haughtney? What experience does the Captain even have of winning as a Captain?

Because Warren is presently peerless amongst the international coaches in the home nations for his rugby brain and his man management skills. He has gathered around him a management team who will be unencumbered with the weight of history and tradition that surrounds the Lions.
Regarding his selections, I stand by my statements, and I can see the areas where is is going to try to expose the Oz defense, along with blunting their attack (getting into Coopers head and making Genia run laterally will be a big part of it)
It's going to be a great series and a massive challenge for the Lions to win as plenty of the players in Wallaby contention are in some very good form.

reynoldsno1
3rd May 2013, 04:28
The Oz Super 15 teams have surprised everyone this year - showing some formidable form. Reckon the Wallabies will be nicely match fit. And no, I'm not an Ocker ....

Mr Chips
3rd May 2013, 18:38
Umm Haughtney, should I repeat the questions that you ignored?

Warburton has a rubbish win ratio as captain, has never beaten Australia
wales won the 6N by winning the same number of games as England and had an 8 game losing streak
Gatland has gathered around him the England coaching team!

con-pilot
3rd May 2013, 20:38
Question, if you all don't mind, showing my ignorance here, but...

How big or important is the Heineken Cup? As we are arriving in Dublin during the middle of it. I know that there was a bit of bother securing accommodations in Dublin because of the Cup.

Thanks.

Oh, we arrive in Dublin on the 16th.

Mr Chips
3rd May 2013, 20:40
Con Pilot its massive. Its the biggest trophy in European wide club rugby contested by the best of England, best of France and pretty much all the clubs from the Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Italian combined "no relegation not much of a struggle for Heineken Cup qualification" league. :E

And my club went out in the quarter finals :ugh:

Captivep
3rd May 2013, 21:10
Mr Chips...

We can all cherry pick "facts". Sure, Wales had an eight game losing streak but they also won nine out their ten last six nations games. They scored more tries than England in the tournament and absolutely battered them at Cardiff.

And before you spout on how England beat Australia more than Wales have (which is true) look at how often they have done so; it's really no such an impressive ratio....

Mr Chips
3rd May 2013, 21:20
woah, CaptiveP, calm down! Its only a game!

Pretty much everyone in the Rugby World is questioning one or more elements of Gatland's selections. Surely you ,must admit that there are some dubious decisions (unless they win the tour in which case I will of course re-write it as genius)

However, to accuse me of cherry picking facts... Wales had a terrible streak under whose captaincy? Won against England with the same captain? Have won against Australia in Australia how many times (no comparisons with any other nation required)

Personally i'd like to see the Lions....against the Baa Baas in HK, at least there will be a Harlequin representative in that game!!! :ok:

con-pilot
3rd May 2013, 21:29
Thank you Mr. Chips. :ok:

We'll be ready for the crowds then.

Mr Chips
3rd May 2013, 21:46
There will be crowds Con, but good natured fun people. passionate people French rugby fans (both finalists are French) and the Irish are, well, the Irish! You have picked a great weekend to be there!

Now you just gotta learn about rugby...:E

con-pilot
3rd May 2013, 22:15
Now you just gotta learn about rugby.

Actually played rugby when I lived in England as a kid, so it is not complete a mystery to me. I just don't keep up with it as probably I should.

mini
3rd May 2013, 23:42
and pretty much all the clubs from the Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Italian combined

The Irish clubs are no1 ranked in Europe, despite the fact that they have one sixt of the funding the French clubs have...

Cacophonix
3rd May 2013, 23:51
There is a thriving and talented rugby thing going on in the USA.

Give it time and we will have hell to pay with them and the Russians! ;)

Caco

Mr Chips
4th May 2013, 17:30
Mini - Irish clubs don't have to worry about relegation or HC qualification

Con playing it doesn't mean you understand it - most pro players don't know the rules :P (and my team won today so I am in happy rugby mood!)

haughtney1
4th May 2013, 18:41
Umm Haughtney, should I repeat the questions that you ignored?

Warburton has a rubbish win ratio as captain, has never beaten Australia
wales won the 6N by winning the same number of games as England and had an 8 game losing streak
Gatland has gathered around him the England coaching team!

I thought I did answer your questions Chippie, I just answered them in a non partisan way.
Warburton will be a fine Captain....
Wales won, and they won the game they needed too in a comprehensive manor..
He's gathered the best people for the job, because he's an awesome organiser and real student of the modern game...but he's also got very very good instincts about players and support staff.

bluecode
4th May 2013, 22:13
As you can see con-pilot the rugby is a big deal in these islands. ATC have long since learned to keep track of the scores so they can relay it to anxious airline pilots eager to know the results. Sometimes they simply announce it without request, at least in Ireland.

Mushroom_2
27th May 2013, 09:50
mini
Hartley vs Best? The Aussies will have Hartley in the bin in no time..
A prescient comment. However it seems they wont have that option now.

racedo
27th May 2013, 10:08
A prescient comment. However it seems they wont have that option now.

He prematurely evacuated (yeah there was another word) himself from the team.
Rugbys Muppet of the Year award decided early.

Dak Man
30th May 2013, 12:22
Loving the back row, will be a stiff test against a pretty good Baa Baas team.

2 More sleeps

Lions
S Hogg (Scotland); A Cuthbert (Wales), J Davies (Wales), J Roberts (Wales), S Maitland (Scotland); O Farrell (England), M Phillips (Wales); M Vunipola (England), R Hibbard (Wales), A Jones (Wales), R Gray (Scotland), P O’Connell (Ireland, capt), D Lydiate (Wales), J Tipuric (Wales), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: T Youngs (England), C Healy (Ireland), M Stevens (England), A W Jones (Wales), J Heaslip (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland), J Sexton (Ireland), G North (Wales

Barbarians
15-Jared Payne (Ulster), 14-Joe Rokocoko (Bayonne and New Zealand), 13-Elliot Daly (London Wasps), 12-Casey Laulala (Munster and New Zealand), 11-Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz and U.S.), 10-Nick Evans (Harlequins and New Zealand), 9-Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz and France), *8-Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais and Italy), 7-Sam Jones (London Wasps), 6-Samu Manoa (Northampton and U.S.), 5-Dean Mumm (Exeter Chiefs and Australia), 4-Marco Wentzel (London Wasps and South Africa), 3-Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester and Italy), 2-Schalk Brits (Saracens and South Africa), 1-Paul James (Bath and Wales).

Replacements: Duncan Jones (Ospreys and Wales), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Treviso and Italy), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester and Scotland), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz and France), Andrea Lo Cicero (Racing Metro and Italy), Kahn Fotuali'i (Ospreys and Samoa), James Hook (Perpignan and Wales), Mike Tindall (Gloucester and England)

skua
30th May 2013, 12:29
I'ld like to go to that match as much to see the Ba Baas as the Lions....

Wingswinger
30th May 2013, 18:27
Does anyone one know if any of the Lions' matches will be on terrestrial TV - even if it is only highlights?

Dak Man
30th May 2013, 18:29
Sometimes the Welsh channel S4C also broadcast matches live and highlights, not sur eif it's the case for this tour though. Of course, there's always the likes of lshunter dot com for free streaming - allegedly.

Dak Man
1st Jun 2013, 11:58
Farrell's petulence already on show :(

There's a good stream on lshunter dot com

sisemen
4th Jun 2013, 03:23
Woo Hoo!!!

Managed to score a ticket to a corporate box for Wednesday's Lions vs Western Force match.

(I think that the result is a foregone conclusion given the record of the Force :E)

Dak Man
5th Jun 2013, 11:58
Job done, Lions manage to outscore the Aussie cricket team.

Coupled_To_Me
12th Jun 2013, 19:02
Having watched the four games to date, my squad for first test:

1.Vanipola
2.Youngs
3.Jones
4.Gray
5.O'Connell
6.O'Brien
7.Tipuric
8.Heaslip

9.Phillips
10.Sexton

11.Maitland
12.Roberts
13.O'Driscoll
14.North

15.Halfpenny

16.Corbisiero
17.Hibbard
18.cole
19.Wyn Jones
20.Warburton
21.Youngs
22.Tuilagi
23.Hogg

Dak Man
3rd Jul 2013, 20:40
Made me LOL....

Deg1bQt1rzQ

500N
3rd Jul 2013, 20:45
Who is going to win the last test ?

Unless we pull something really good out for the whole time,
I think the Lions will win.

Dak Man
3rd Jul 2013, 21:04
Too close to call, it shouldn't be but Gatland got selection and tactics completely wrong last Saturday, momentum has shifted.

Heart says Lions head says Shackle Draggers.

Can't wait.

Cacophonix
6th Jul 2013, 05:40
Well summer has finally arrived here in the UK and what better way to celebrate than with a Lions win.

It it going to happen today?

Caco

500N
6th Jul 2013, 05:46
"Shackle Draggers."

I haven't heard that one before :ok:

Just over 3 hours to go, getting the food and booze ready
for a good evening on the couch.

I'll make another call when they come out on the pitch.

Can't believe they have dropped O'Driscoll. What a kick
in the guts for the team ?

Cacophonix
6th Jul 2013, 05:55
Can't believe they have dropped O'Driscoll. What a kick
in the guts for the team ?

If the Lions lose Gatland better have some excuses ready for that decision and also prepare to face the complaints from the denizens south of the Severn bridge for the rest of his life.

Go Wales (er I mean the Lions)... ;)

Caco

TWT
6th Jul 2013, 11:44
Well done Lions.There's no coming back for the Wallabies from 41-16

500N
6th Jul 2013, 11:52
I said the Lions would step up a gear and that is what they have done.
Well done to them.

It was a good match and another high scoring one which is
good to see and will only get more people following the game.

charliegolf
6th Jul 2013, 11:57
Yeah, that Gatland bloke.. what a tosser!

CG

Dak Man
6th Jul 2013, 12:06
Fantastic, Taffs leading the way...... Brian who?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1012991_10151434026091503_511652471_n.jpg

charliegolf
6th Jul 2013, 12:09
Very sporting congrats from the Aussie skipper- nice one.

CG

Dak Man
6th Jul 2013, 12:31
What an advert for our wonderful game, skill, passion, bravery, strength, aggression, emotion, fitness teamwork, magnanimity and perhaps above all - respect. Rugby Union - take a bow. :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jul 2013, 13:07
Well done, the Lions! Great reflection on the game too, as DM has mentioned.:ok:

rab-k
6th Jul 2013, 13:13
Well done the B&I L. :ok:

Nice to see our token Jock be allowed to dirty his boots in the last ten minutes. :O

Sort yourselves out SRU... Scottish rugby, deary me :*

Cacophonix
6th Jul 2013, 13:52
Great game and a very gracious concession speech by Warburton...

Gatland as tight lipped as ever but I suspect he felt for O'Driscoll who was also very magnanimous.

There will be much singing in Sydney and in the Valleys tonight...

Caco

Andu
6th Jul 2013, 23:13
Well done the Lions. In Sydney yesterday, it was bloody sea of red jumpers, but more importantly, everyone was good-humoured, with strangers giving cheek to each other and (very insincerely - at least on my part :) ) wishing the other side good luck. It was a bit like the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

What made it even better was the weather Sydney put on for the visitors yesterday and today. I can imagine more than a few Poms saying, in tones of disbelief: "This is a Sydney winter???"

dat581
7th Jul 2013, 04:27
Does anyone else think it ironic that the reff was sponsored by Specsavers?!!!:}

Lon More
7th Jul 2013, 06:29
slight thread drift; hope all is well with Mr. Johnfairr. Nothing posted by him since April

Dak Man
8th Jul 2013, 15:00
So Deans has gone and The Gatfather is being touted for a Knighthood. :ok:

No surprised ref Deans, although hampered by the injury list he picked players out of position and left his best playmaker out of the squad.

Very pleased for Gatland, he shut up the voices of dissent good and proper, some of the so called rugby pundits and "stars" from the past should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for their personal attacks on Gatland's selections.

Megaton
8th Jul 2013, 15:31
he shut up the voices of dissent good and proper, some of the so called rugby pundits and "stars" from the past should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for their personal attacks on Gatland's selections.

Why? The Lions beat a poor Australian team who insisted on turning down kick at goal after kick. I'm pleased the Lions won but I don't think anyone in their right mind can claim this was memorable victory. No creativity, few breaks, few carries, mind-numbingly slow passing from the scrum halves. I was looking forward to the tour for months but I feel like I've just had a Chinese takeaway. Lots to eat but hungry again five minutes later.

Dak Man
8th Jul 2013, 15:46
Why?

I was referring to the personal attacks after the selection for the 3rd test. Gatland (and the coaching team) were proved absolutely correct.

The tour was devalued by the Aussies fielding under strength teams in the pre test games.

Any Lions series win is momorable, IMO.

16 - 41 does not reflect you assertions about lack of creativity, breaks etc......you can't always have champagne rugby an attritional approach being the normal mantra of the Northern Hemisphere but for the pureist both have their place and beauty.

Lon More
8th Jul 2013, 16:19
Shackle Draggers."

I haven't heard that one before
Probably comes from the habit back in the 1960s of making members of the scrum run up an down the field with a few links of chain tied to their feet

Cacophonix
8th Jul 2013, 16:28
Probably comes from the habit back in the 1960s of making members of the scrum run up an down the field with a few links of chain tied to their feet

Pretty apt exercise for the Aussies given their history but nowhere near as bad as the sadistic training bull that used to go on in South Africa...

Kamp Staaldraad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamp_Staaldraad)

Caco

Mr Chips
8th Jul 2013, 18:12
I'm pretty sure they are Shackle draggers because they were all convicts.....

haughtney1
9th Jul 2013, 12:59
Say what you like about the quality of the Oz team and Dean's selections, but YET again Gats has proved to be a student of the game. The O'Driscoll omission was IMHO a masterstroke in terms of tactics and combinations.
The real area the Lions struggled with was at halfback, they lacked the ability to clear the ball quickly.
The result for me was no surprise.

Dak Man
9th Jul 2013, 14:13
He's in good company, as a fellow student of the game I picked all but one the same team (Cuthbert for Bowe). ;)

Agree regards outside half, to have selected Biggar would have been too much a bitter pill to swallow, i.e. yet another Taff. Sexton did OK, nothing spectacular and his defence was solid, Farrell Jnr performed as expected - petulant and lacking in game management experience, I'm sure Snr. will sort him out and he'll be ready come 2017.