PDA

View Full Version : RAF Air Defence pilots and Navs

Steve Davies
27th Apr 2002, 08:56
I am currently writing a UK Air Defence article for an international military aviation magazine. As part of my research, I am hoping to make contact with aircrew involved in AD.

If you would be willing to allow me to ask you questions over e-mail, or telephone if you prefer, then would you drop me an e-mail?

Thanks in advance

Steve Davies

[email protected]

APOLLO
27th Apr 2002, 13:27
RAF Air Defence? Suggest you search out the old lightning and Phantom Pilots because the F3 mates can't really talk about AD can they! ;)

Steve Davies
27th Apr 2002, 14:20
Apollo,

Is the F.3 not part of the UK ASACS? Has their AD role been binned? Or, are you being sarcastic?

Cheers

Steve

APOLLO
27th Apr 2002, 15:28
Sorry Steve but it was just a bit of banter aimed at the F3 mates. You could always try and speak to some Fighter Controllers if you 'Dig Deep Enough!' Did i mention F3 and Fighter in the same paragraph, i am getting careless in my writing.

-------------------------------

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar; Galactica....."

Chris Kebab
27th Apr 2002, 19:18
They make damn good BBMF pilots......

Avoiding Action
28th Apr 2002, 14:26
..and you don't have to dig that deep to find a Fighter Controller - I even know what the sun looks like...:D :D :D

RotaDish
1st May 2002, 00:41
Apollo

"RAF Air Defence? Suggest you search out the old lightning and Phantom Pilots because the F3 mates can't really talk about AD can they!"

OLD being the operative word. Perhaps in reality, the poster should search out some Spitfire or Hurricane Mates, since they are the last people to actually defend UK. Lightnings over Flambrough, and F4s lost in Scotland......Oh yes, Now That's Air Defence.....Yawn!

Rota

Seven of Nine
1st May 2002, 14:00
I know I shouldn't bite but here goes:

Rota - I think those F3 mates who were sitting CAP on the Kuwait border in Aug 90 (facing the fifth largest Air Force in the world at that time), might take issue with some of your comments. Also, as you were probably not around at the time, I'll remind you that the first aircraft to man the CAPs on Op Deny Flight were F3s - not 15s, 16s, 18s or any of the other wonder jets.
The F3 mates do a difficult job despite the low-average equipment provided by the government . They do, however, know more about AD than any F15 driver that I've ever met.

Steve - why not try calling the squadrons directly? Try 56 Sqn at Coningsby (01526 347671) for starters.

Mister B
1st May 2002, 14:17
SON

I remember those F3 mates during Desert Storm - they were usually to be found on CAP somewhere south of Bahrain. They sure didn't go anywhere near as far north as the GR1 and 1A boys - except when the dust had settled when they produced some spectacular low-level piccies over the burning oil wells in Kuwait (which really isn't that far north from where they were based).

I also recall a mass bllkng at the end of hostilities when Baldy Bill gave the assembled squadrons a morale boosting kick in the nuts - I can not recall seeing two fighter squadrons-worth of aircrew so meek and humble.:eek:

Seven of Nine
1st May 2002, 17:02
Mr B,
I'm well aware of where the F3 CAPs were in Desert Storm. You cannot deny, however, that at the start of the conflict, the F3s were on the front-line. In Aug 90, the world expected Iraq to continue its push south into Saudi and the F3 crews had their necks on the line - that the push never happened is neither here nor there (and the F3 presence undoubtedly contributed to the Iraqi decision to halt where they did). Incidentally, I recall USAF F15s cancelling missions due to weather and the F3s covering for them on several occasions.
My issue is with people like Rota stating that F3 mates "can't talk about AD". Those F3 mates didn't bring the jet into service and did not decide on how to utilise the ac in Desert Storm - people like your mate Baldy Bill did that.

Mister B
1st May 2002, 21:42
SoN

Granted.

BB's no mate of mine though - come to that no other right minded service aviator either.;)

Busta
1st May 2002, 22:25
Given up on snooker, Steve?

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

Steve Davies
2nd May 2002, 07:59
Busta,

Plane spotting is so much more exciting than snooker :p

So... are there any F3 guys who would be willing to talk to me? I need educating, and would rather it come from the guys doing the job instead of the rumour mill.

Cheers

Steve

NoseGunner
6th May 2002, 09:17
Steve

The problem is that we're not supposed to talk to journalists etc - so it has to be anonymous and then you don't know who you are talking to. As is obvious, 95% of people on this website have no idea about F3 capabilities or roles - I refer you to previous posts on this thread.

Try posting a question on the thread and you'll probably get quite a few answers - unfortunately you then have to sort the wheat (5%)from the chaff (95%)!

Otherwise do what has been suggested and go direct to squadrons or even through the MOD Media people. They should be able to sort out a visit (to 56, they're never that busy!) where you could get loads of good info. Especially if you bought beer!

Cheers

Nosegunner:cool:

Ghostflyer
6th May 2002, 10:03
7 of 9,

The two things I can most remember about Aug 90 were:

1. The intelligence brief:

'Ok men, we have 18 F-3s and 32 F-15s; There are 3 million Iraqis and an attack is expected within the next 3 hours so if you chaps could stop them until everyone else arrives we'd appreciate it!'

I started doing fuel calculations for Dubai and India!

2. Then there was the capabilities brief, the F-15 mate went first, 'Uh we've got APG 63, 10 missiles, NCTR, Chaff, Flare an ALQ... jamming pod and an RWR etc.' 'Our QWI jumps up and says we've got a radar, some rockets and a gun but no Chaff and Flare because we believe in dying like men'

Crazy thing was I thought I'd be able to shoot down 5 jets, become a war hero and be back in time for tea and medals. Who says RAF training doesn't brainwash you. The closest I came to shooting anything was a renegade A-10 whilst doing a bit of tail sliding but that is another story.

Well, must retreat back to my bath chair, I can't wait for the reunion in 2025. The mates flying the newly operational Eurofighter will keeep asking who is that WIWOF3 wan*er. Halcyon days.

Ghost:cool: