PDA

View Full Version : Warning!!!! something worth watching...

haughtney1
29th Apr 2013, 07:32
Why I Hate School But Love Education||Spoken Word - YouTube

Erwin Schroedinger
29th Apr 2013, 08:27
More than a few highly dubious measures of 'success' amongst that lot.

BabyBear
29th Apr 2013, 08:36
There is a lot of value in the basic point, however to take it literally would be a mistake. Seems to me he is so far off the mark he actually demonstrates a lack of education and understanding.

BB

Sunnyjohn
29th Apr 2013, 08:36
Brilliant - thanks for posting this. I worked for 35 years in a Further Education college with students with learning disabilities. Some had cognitive problems but others were simply those who could not fit into the school system. One student was an elective mute - that means that she had chosen not to speak. We never knew why but suspected it was to do with some past trauma at home. School didn't know how to cope with her and she came to us on a two-year full-time course. I discovered that she was a keen cyclist and managed to persuade our local cycle shop to take her on as a trial work placement. They told me that she was a natural at cycle maintenance and agreed to keep her on. Gradually she would respond with speech when she was receiving or handing back bikes for repair. The bike shop had her work on a cycle maintenance course and she duly received a certificate. When I retired from the college, I called into the shop to see her. She spoke to me quietly but normally and was pleased with her success. She continues to cycle and is now in a racing team.

Capetonian
29th Apr 2013, 08:41
I watched and can't say it did much for me. Nothing that he couldn't have said in 30 seconds. The message is that if you have drive, initiative and common sense, you don't need a formal academic education to succeed. On the other hand, windbags who state the obvious at extreme length are often successful in life. Politician?

And as Erwin says, there are some dubious measures of success there, and a lot of people I'd never heard of.

I also find that affected accent that a lot of black 'Londoners' adopt to be incredibly annoying.

Sunnyjohn
29th Apr 2013, 08:48
I also find that affected accent that a lot of black 'Londoners' adopt to be incredibly annoying.
I stand corrected, but I believe that that is his normal mode of speech. Anyone who can produce a six minute video with the competence and research that he displayed has got my vote, regardless of his 'accent'.

Capetonian
29th Apr 2013, 08:53
I agree that his delivery was excellent, am not disputing that. It may be his normal mode of speech, but it's very different from that of most of the black Londoners I've worked with, but you hear it a lot in the street and I find it irritating. Just a personal thing perhaps. A friend of mine had a black girlfriend who spoke normal correct English most of the time, but when she got round her mates she'd change her accent completely. Apparently it's a sort of 'street cred' thing, as she tried to explain to me. It irritated the hell out of him too and was one of the reasons they split.

Slasher
29th Apr 2013, 09:27
I'm with Mr Bear and Cape. The kid's theory doesn't hold up.

I did hate learning Shakespeare as a kid - but in later years
I realised old Bill knew more about what makes the human
animal tick than anyone else.

And though I didn't realise at the time - without a solid basis
in School Science I would never have used it to work out how
Nature operates - nor be able to separate fact from fraud in
everyday life when Natural occurrences happen.

...Same with mathematics - the universal constant of Nature.
"Show me the hard math" means cut the speculative bullshit
and show me the hard proof - if the equations do hold up I'll
take what you say to be true. If they don't - then all you are
doing is pulling my chain as well as your own. Again...all of
this wasn't realised in the middle of vector calculus class till
years later.

Education (esp Maths and Science) makes one THINK - endows
some intelligence to a degree - and keeps you from the grasps
of mystics, sharmen, O'Bummer (and politicians in general), the
so-called IPCC "science" and religious nutcase institutions.

lasernigel
29th Apr 2013, 09:28
I thought he was and is a very bright young man. Stating the obvious sometimes brings things to the front, things that we take for granted.

I enjoyed it, he could probably outwit most of our politicians AND do a better job.:ok:

Same with mathematics - the universal constant of Nature.
"Show me the hard math" means cut the speculative bullshit
and show me the hard proof - if the equations do hold up I'll
take what you say to be true. If they don't - then all you are
doing is pulling my chain as well as your own. Again...all of
this wasn't realised in the middle of vector calculus class till
years later.

But isn't this the point. I learnt all that for electronics years ago. It was hard work and a lot of studying. Do I use any of it now to repair the systems I work on now..NO! Not saying that trained monkey's can do a lot of technical jobs, but now in the day of chuck away boards, is there a need to that depth of electronics training??

Sunnyjohn
29th Apr 2013, 09:42
Education (esp Maths and Science) makes one THINK - endows
some intelligence to a degree - and keeps you from the grasps
of mystics, sharmen, O'Bummer (and politicians in general), the
so-called IPCC "science" and religious nutcase institutions.

I doubt that few people would dispute this. One of the points being made in the video is that some people find conventional education, and its outcome and expectations, difficult and unexciting. Many people discover, as you say Slash, that education is useful and necessary, but they discover this by learning in their own way and not within the straitjacket of a conventional school or university education. The Open University in the UK and its sister in Australia have enabled people, who found conventional education difficult, to study in their own way, at their own pace, and with the choice of the subjects within their own interest.

Slasher
29th Apr 2013, 09:57
But that's my point Sunnyjohn - if you had've asked (instead of told)
me to study Science, Maths, Shakespeare, and Clear Thinking at the
age of 15, Id've opted for something piss easier like "open education"
(non-existent in the mid 70s thank christ) and none of those difficult
brain-empowering subjects - all the while listening to Pink Floyd and
taking the lyrics at their word.

Let's see what the kid thinks at 40...

skydiver69
29th Apr 2013, 10:06
Let's see what the kid thinks at 40...

He'll either be a multi millionaire or a low life waster living in social housing and drinking special brew.

Slasher
29th Apr 2013, 10:09
Exactly.

I tend towards the latter.

BabyBear
29th Apr 2013, 10:13
I'm not sure he believes all he says, I think the motivation is as likely to be the making of the video and whatever street cred attaches. As I said previously; if he takes it literally he is demonstrating the lack his own maturity.

In fact I think I would go as far as to say he is somewhat deluded. That's not to say there is zero value in certain points he makes.

As far as it being worth watching, then yes as it's p!ssing down here and I had the time, as for its content, then I'm afraid there is little value in it.

BB

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Apr 2013, 10:27
So how do we get education back into the schooling system?

I won't work in the UK system any more, because it has largely become schooling to feed a university system that outputs graduates without the needed qualities to a self-satisfied HR system that insists on a 2:1 in Business Admin to be the tea-boy.

I want the Government to stop telling me how to teach when I clearly know better how to do it than they do.

Capetonian
29th Apr 2013, 10:32
He'll either be a multi millionaire 10% chance

or a low life waster living in social housing and drinking special brew and by simple mathematics ......

Choxolate
29th Apr 2013, 10:34
To me 'tis a load of rubbish. "Lets' look at the statisitcs" and then proceeds to list a handful of succesful people who did not attend higher education.

If he wants to look at statsitics then show the average income of those with degrees and those without - the difference is about 12k per year.

MagnusP
29th Apr 2013, 10:40
Not saying that trained monkey's can do a lot of technical jobs, but now in the day of chuck away boards, is there a need to that depth of electronics training??

Well, somebody has to design the circuits, and it's difficult to achieve that without adequate training.

haughtney1
29th Apr 2013, 13:49
I posted this vid, and to be honest I expected the variance of opinions expressed.
I think this guy makes some telling points..perhaps some of you need to get past his accent and digest a little more:ok:
From where I sit, I think he gives a positive message as he's suggesting that you engage your brain and examine why you do certain things, within the context of learning.
Now many of you scoff at his measures of success...but then, it's merely an opinion right?
I'll use the words of another academic misfit to illustrate my point...these words from a chap who didn't like school either...

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school"

Albert Einstein