PDA

View Full Version : Passwords revealed

Tone
27th Apr 2013, 17:40
I have just been playing with the SIW software on me W7 machine, as you do, and I noticed that under the 'Software' heading there is a reference to 'Passwords' Clicked on that out of curiosity and there under an 'Auto complete password' heading is my PayPal user name and password. Ouch! Each time I log on to PayPal it asks me for the password, there's no 'autocomplete' involved. How did SIW find it and, more importantly. does anyone know how I can get rid of it? Given how easy it is to load and run SIW it seems to be quite a serious security risk. If I can't kill it I could create a new password - but will SIW get hold of that too?

green granite
27th Apr 2013, 18:00
Interestingly it only seems to know Internet explorer passwords, not those used by Firefox etc

Presumably I.E stores it's passwords in the registry, whereas FF stores them in it's user profile. As it happens I've got SIW locked down in Zone Alarm so that it cannot go on line.

mixture
27th Apr 2013, 18:07
Are you really sure "remember passwords" is off in i.e ? (irrespective of what the paypal form may or may not be doing )

Tone
27th Apr 2013, 18:40
Mixture. Non of the boxes under AutoComplete Settings are ticked. I think I will delete SIW and then install it again to see what it picks up.

Milo Minderbinder
27th Apr 2013, 18:40
if you think thats bad, you should see how much fun you can have with these

Password Recovery Tools for Windows (http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html)

and the way to cure your problem is to set Internet Explorer to clear its cache at every log off
control panel > internet options > delete browsing history on exit
you also have to click on the "delete" button and make sure "passwords" is among those selected.
The IE cache retains passwords unless you specifically delete them even if the remember box is unticked. Ticking the box just flags a cookie, but the IE cache can still retain the password elsewhere

M.Mouse
27th Apr 2013, 21:25
I am just trying this program (https://lastpass.com/) which is free and during the installation routine finds all the existing 'remembered' passwords in your various browsers, asks if you want to import them and once imported asks if you want to delete them from where they were imported in order to make your machine secure.