PDA

View Full Version : UAVs

OFSO
27th Apr 2013, 06:57
"Armed drones launched from RAF bases in the UK claims BBC".

That must have been a long flight to Afghanistan.

UniFoxOs
27th Apr 2013, 08:40
The report I read says that they are controlled from UK, but prepared by ground crew on the base over there. We see this sort of thing in films, and I never really believed it.

I still find it hard to think that a remote pilot, needing comms via a satellite hop with its attendant time delay, can control an aircraft effectively - I find it hard enough sometimes with the controls in my hands.

Are the drones fairly autonomous, with autopilot doing most of the work and the remote "pilots" just feeding in course, speed and height commands? Be easy enough to shoot them down if that was the case, I would think.

UFO

SpringHeeledJack
27th Apr 2013, 08:45
Apart from the increased safety of the operators being based in the UK, I wonder why they aren't in situ operating from Kandahar. Perhaps there is some international law that affects the use of said drones ?

SHJ

tony draper
27th Apr 2013, 08:47
Hmmm,I wonder if a drugged fat bloke with a beard would fit inside one of them,could be a way of returning a certain person to his homeland without any official involvement,cept some nerd working a joystick on a ship at sea or summat.
:rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
27th Apr 2013, 08:55
Why do the operators wear flying suits :confused:

charliegolf
27th Apr 2013, 09:00
Why do the operators wear flying suits

Here we go:D

CG

Windy Militant
27th Apr 2013, 10:34
Why do the operators wear flying suits
Because their Number threes are in the wash!
It's a bit chilly in Waddington at the moment so they have to wear something, or it's in case they spill their coffee in their lap! :}

Actually when the press isnt there they wear these!;)

http://www.bambinogoodies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Kigu.jpg

Mallan
27th Apr 2013, 10:49
Do those fly sort not drink Tea?

Vercingetorix
27th Apr 2013, 11:00
The ones I am familiar with were worked from a base in xxx xxxxx and neither communications nor flight control were ever a problem. Why, with modern technology would you want to place the operators in the field.
They wear the uniform 'cos they are actually accredited as Pilots.:eek:

OFSO
27th Apr 2013, 12:36
...a drugged fat bloke with a beard.....

Hmm, sounds like Father Christmas passed you by yet again, Mr. D. But one hears he is already back at the North Pole asembling his toys with help of the elves 'n safety.

mixture
27th Apr 2013, 15:44
from a base in xxx xxxxx

I love the PPRune censorship given that the base locations are plastered all over the media at the moment anyway. :cool:

Ozzy
27th Apr 2013, 17:13
Excellent, use more.

Ozzy

N707ZS
27th Apr 2013, 18:57
I wonder what the chance is of one of the wizz kids hacking into a drone.

None of the above
27th Apr 2013, 18:59
UniFoxOs...

I still find it hard to think that a remote pilot, needing comms via a satellite hop with its attendant time delay, can control an aircraft effectively - I find it hard enough sometimes with the controls in my handsI understand that take-off and landing are controlled at the operating base itself because of the time delay which you mention. The delay being of manageable proportions in less critical phases of flight.

Vercingetorix
27th Apr 2013, 20:33
Mixture
That was not PPRuNe censorship, it was mine, i.e. self censored.

Cheers