PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Group Security?

FullOppositeRudder
27th Apr 2013, 00:03
Please don't laugh, I am trying to be serious here ..... :O

I would appreciate informed advice as to whether it is possible for posts in a closed (members only) Yahoo! mailing list to be read by:

1) A rank outsider (non member)

2) A former member who has left the group and whose email a/d is no longer on the list.

If the answers to either of these questions is 'yes' then is there any other group mailing option which would allow the same general facilities as Yahoo Groups which offers more in the security area - excluding for the moment something like Mailman which looks good but which appears to requires dedicated server facilities ...?

No national security concerns need be held - it's for a religious group with specific needs for confidentiality and support in counseling and teaching.

Thanks
FOR

green granite
27th Apr 2013, 07:28
Very easy, it only needs a member to be lax with the security of his password, either by leaving it in an obvious place at work for example, or with his computer security allowing it to be hacked and all his passwords read or by the use of a key logger.

FullOppositeRudder
29th Apr 2013, 00:28
Thank you GG; I guess that pretty well answers my question. The lack of any other input suggests that without a password and user name it could be assumed to be "reasonably safe."

FOR

PS I'm still a bit worried about those back helicopters, and that somewhat ominous vehicle parked down down the street with all the dish antennas pointed at my house :bored:

:)

Milo Minderbinder
29th Apr 2013, 01:48
read this and then decide if Yahoo is secure
Yahoo! webmail! hijacks! are! back!... ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/08/yahoo_webmail_hijack_flare_on/)

its still a problem - I was dealing with one today
NO web service is secure unless you have the site encryption, user list, access passwords totally locked down. Yahoo groups is certainly not that.
If you are handling the kind of personal information you state, then GGroups almost certainly does not have the kind of security required by the Data Protection Act. Nor will any other similar service.
You need to look at your own dedicated server, with secure connections.