PDA

View Full Version : Deployed To The Sandbox...Your Kids Grow Up!

SASless
26th Apr 2013, 23:06
This is an amateur video...shows a group of US Marines returning from deployment and a Father's reunion with his Children including his Six Year Old Son who has Cerebral Palsy.....and the Marine sees his Son walk for the first time.

Those of you who have been on a Combat Deployment can appreciate all the emotions that are at play.

What a Welcome Home!

6-Year-Old Boy with Cerebral Palsy Walks to His U.S. Marine Father for the First Time - YouTube

woptb
26th Apr 2013, 23:44
Lots of dust & grit in the air tonight.

cornish-stormrider
27th Apr 2013, 18:36
dust and grit???
are you serious - I'm man enough to admit I cried like - like I could only imagine how that must have felt.......

Welcome home bootnecks......what a present

Twon
27th Apr 2013, 22:02
I'm due to return home to my wife and daughter in days and even I'm struggling to imagine all the emotions the family must be dealing with. It's always hardest on the children; my daughter asked my wife after a few weeks away if "Daddy was ever coming back. He's not, is he?". Absolutely heartbreaking.

Without wishing to score cheap political points out of such a wonderful video, I'm not sure the Public or politicians truly understand the unquantifiable heartache families suffer every time the military are deployed. Maybe they should bear this in mind every time we get knocked for subsidised housing or high wages etc. This video should remind us all of what's really important.

Courtney Mil
27th Apr 2013, 22:17
I'm sorry. It's a lovely video and I completely understand all the points you are making. But, being deployed on operations is what we all signed up for. We have all been there. And don't think I'm belittling the tortuous emotional issues involved. I am part of four generations of military, from my grandfather who was sunk on the Manchester to my step son who is currently in Afghanistan. It's hard. It's bloody hard. But if you are not prepared to do it, don't join. If you do join, do what we do.

Gemini Twin
29th Apr 2013, 15:13
You're right CM it is a lovely video a bit like when my son came home from Kandahar on seeing his baby son after being away for a year. But me tears go to the family and friends of his fellow squadron mates who were lost on patrol last week.

We shall remember them.

sisemen
29th Apr 2013, 15:38
Well said CM. When you see videos like that it brings it back home to what we all signed up for initially.

Just one slightly jarring note - how come the little girl in purple was the only one not to get a hug or even an acknowledgement? Or did I miss it?

SASless
29th Apr 2013, 16:57
You missed it....she was the first one hugged after Dad picked up his Son. She was wearing a Purple Sweater.

Lonewolf_50
29th Apr 2013, 17:30
Courtney, I appreciate what you said there, but I also like the "feel good" aspect of the joyful return of Dad. My last homecoming from deployment was a very joyous occasion for my wife, my kids, and even the family dog.

Some dads don't come back. :uhoh:

Courtney Mil
29th Apr 2013, 18:18
Of course the feel good, the emotion, the overwhelming sense of helplessness when one is deployed and totally unable to protect and care for one's family. But to me, that's private. Shared with a carefully chosen group of friends, usually those that have been in the same pressure cooker. Not for the internet.

That said, I also acknowledge that videos like that serve a purpose in that they raise public awareness. Military people are human beings too and not the people that chose their fight.

It's a question of balance.

If we are military we are at the whim of those that have the power. I say not too much of the public showing of our own issues.

:ok:

SASless
29th Apr 2013, 18:36
Ah yes....the Lick Upper Stiff attitude!:rolleyes:

West Coast
29th Apr 2013, 21:15
My words exactly. Some of you are reading too much into a small victory for a kid with a serious medical issue who wanted to show his pops something really cool.

Just something to ponder, y'all don't always have to act like contrarians.

SASless
30th Apr 2013, 12:31
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/377260_518903874839935_922476866_n.jpg

Remember the US Army's 15 Month Deployments to Iraq?

Schnowzer
30th Apr 2013, 13:53
Most of the mates I joined up with had no thought of actually getting involved in conventional war! The good old Cold War was on and we joined to waz around low level, drink beer, chase girls and have a bloody good time. Yeah we got deployed on ops and did our duty but that sure as heck wasn't why most joined nor, having talked to some of the other posters above at the time, did they.

That said some of the welcome homes I saw post Storm were pretty scary particularly when what went on tour came home in a bluey from some loud mouth on the squadron that had to share everything with his missus irrespective of the consequences.

Nice video shows what the human spirit can really achieve.

SASless
17th May 2013, 13:13
Another nice gesture by a Baseball Team and the USO......

They made a Soldier's Day....and his Daughter's too!

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/deployed-dad-makes-surprise-return-rays-game-disguised-085858272.html)