PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Part Found at WTC Eleven Years Later

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 22:19
They are calling it a "possible" part from that infamous day, but one doesn't normally find landing gear debris in the midst of an urban centre.

More wreckage to resurrect a painful memory.....

Debris could be part of 9/11 jetliner, police say - U.S. News (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/26/17933432-debris-could-be-part-of-911-jetliner-police-say?lite)

Captain Sand Dune
26th Apr 2013, 22:21
Stand by for the conspiracy theorist's answer to that one.

Airborne Aircrew
26th Apr 2013, 22:24

I planted it a few weeks ago for a giggle... Can't believe they found it already... :}

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 22:30

I believe in an open discussion, but if this thread deteriorates into that kind of nonsense, consider this thread gone.

What I see is sad symbolism. Landing gear which never touched another runway. People who will never again touch the face of a loved one.

con-pilot
26th Apr 2013, 22:38
Anyone who has attended an aircraft accident investigator's school, as I have, should not be surprised.

I'm not.

TOWTEAMBASE
26th Apr 2013, 22:40
Well said V2. How could it have been hidden away for so long, only to be found now. Amazing

Andu
26th Apr 2013, 22:52
Just a tiny bit 'suss' that it's been found embedded alongside a mosque?

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2013, 23:02
A proposed Mosque
Not an existing Mosque
And you really are being a sh1t-stirrer with that comment

CityofFlight
26th Apr 2013, 23:05
When one thinks of the velocity that those two buildings came crashing down, it's not a surprise that is was imbedded between the two foundations in such a way.

I suspect the occasional item will be found for years to come, as ghosts of a horrid day in our history.

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 23:10
Anyone who has attended an aircraft accident investigator's school, as I have, should not be surprised.

I'm not.

con-pilot, I recently dropped a glass on a hard surface. I found a glass shard 25 feet from the point of impact.

That exponential debris spread is not surprising!

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 23:14
Well said V2. How could it have been hidden away for so long, only to be found now. Amazing

TOWTEAMBASE, thank-you.

How can one find rationale in the nonsensical?

DX Wombat
26th Apr 2013, 23:14
Debris from Lockerbie was found as far away as Kielder so it should not be a surprise that debris from the twin towers and related constructions should be found nearer to the site. That alley looks very narrow, doesn't appear to be a thoroughfare and probably isn't cleared out too often. There are still some bits from Lockerbie which have never been found but there is a lot of open countryside involved there. :(

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 23:16
When one thinks of the velocity that those two buildings came crashing down, it's not a surprise that is was imbedded between the two foundations in such a way.

I suspect the occasional item will be found for years to come, as ghosts of a horrid day in our history.

Hi Cof, very well said. Thank-you.

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 23:24
Debris from Lockerbie was found as far away as Kielder so it should not be a surprise that debris from the twin towers and related constructions should be found nearer to the site. That alley looks very narrow, doesn't appear to be a thoroughfare and probably isn't cleared out too often. There are still some bits from Lockerbie which have never been found but there is a lot of open countryside involved there.

DX Wombat, your beautiful countryside -
peppered with the ugliness of another heinous act.

I suspect no one realized the import of this find unti it was examined closely.

Am watching the TV news as I type. The medical examiner has cordoned off the site. They are looking for traces of human remains.

V2-OMG!
26th Apr 2013, 23:28
BTW con-pilot, that glass did not contain any single-malt scotch.

Thought I better make that clear. Didn't want to ruin your day. :p

my oleo is extended
26th Apr 2013, 23:28
Con-pilot, I agree. It comes as no surprise at all. The forces at play that day were immense. I would say the piece landed in that narrow alley not during the building collapse but during the actual impact of plane and building and subsequent explosion. Most of the aircraft parts and most of the humans on those planes were vaporised, such were the impact forces.
Because so little was ever recovered from the aircraft I believe that this part should be recovered no matter what the cost and placed within one of the 9/11 memorials.
For someone from an investigative background I can assure you that this lone piece of debris holds great significance. It will also hold great emotional value to many who were involved in search, recovery, clean up, investigation, evidence gathering so forth.
I also agree that there may be small items found from time to time for years to come, the magnitude of what occurred that day was phenomenal. As a side point and I don't believe you will find this documented anywhere (but I may be wrong) , a close friend of mine worked as a NYPD cop on Staten Island at the time of the attack, and for several months afterwards. After the towers collapsed the immense debris plume drifted over Staten Island. In the weeks following there were human remain fragments found in cloth and light debris particles found on Staten, that had been taken by the wind. This is a true account, and again it gives insight to the magnitude of this attack.

R.I.P

V2-OMG!
27th Apr 2013, 00:11
my oleo, thank-you for that sensitive, analytical observation.

I wouldn't be surprised if this piece becomes part of the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
A look at the 9/11 Museum's first exhibit, which will showcase recorded memories | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4208338/9-11-memorial-museum-first-exhibit-will-showcase-recorded-memories)

lomapaseo
27th Apr 2013, 03:09
The Boeing spokesperson has no comment

The police reportedly taped it off as part of a crime scene?

I can't figure out what the big deal is.... crime scene???

Will justice now be served up again? Will new perps be identified. The only interest I can see in all this is a memento of history involving neither Boeing nor the police.

I've had lots of opportunities to hold onto similar mementos but could never see any historical relevance so off to the scrap heap.

West Coast
27th Apr 2013, 03:14
Having last summer laid hands on a portion of the WTC girders at the Museum of the Marine Corps I can tell you that for some debris like this has deep, almost visceral meaning. Hopefully it ends up in a museum, prominently displayed.

sitigeltfel
27th Apr 2013, 05:38
The piece was found in a narrow, rubbish-filled space 18in (0.45m) wide.
Mr Kelly told reporters after inspecting it that a length of rope was looped around the piece of steel and that no marks were visible on the walls overhead, suggesting it could have been lowered from the rooftop.

Very strange!

mickjoebill
27th Apr 2013, 05:39
Landing gear which never touched another runway.

Your comment inspires the thought that this piece of wreckage should be put in a museum, having never been allowed to touch the ground in its journey.

BBC reports that a rope was found around the wreckage. There is a rope in this image, by comparison to the dust and dirt on the wreckage the rope is clean.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67274000/jpg/_67274656_67274608.jpg

mickjoebill

Andu
27th Apr 2013, 06:18
A proposed Mosque
Not an existing Mosque
And you really are being a sh1t-stirrer with that commentHmmm... that rope makes my original comment even more pertinent, milo. I think a few people here are allowing emotions to cloud their judgement.

I share the outrage of those who think that the proposed mosque is a deliberate 'up yours, USA' on the part of those members of that religion of peace who are attempting to build it so close to the WTC site. Having said that, I have a very strong suspicion that someone who shares my view might have lowered that piece of Boeing junk down into that narrow space in the hope that it will put paid to any move to erect that mosque where many 'true believers' will undoubtedly come to gloat and to pay homage to 'the martyrs'.

If I'm right, I wish that unknown (to borrow your phrase, milo) sh1t-stirrer great success.

B Fraser
27th Apr 2013, 07:17
Whether the wreckage fell into the narrow gap, was put there or the rope was tied on by whoever found it, there is an opportunity. Placing the parts in a case by the security checks at JFK would be a sobering reminder. Doing the screening job properly rather than picking out people at randon to fulfill a search quota will improve effectiveness. Learn from the Israelis, profile the pax and pay attention to those that fit the pattern.

In a similar vein, NASA astronauts called for pieces of the Challenger shuttle to be put on display in every NASA office as a reminder that bad things happen when good people accept deviations from operational excellence. Sadly it didn't happen and a second shuttle was lost thanks to engineers accepting that losing chunks of insulation material was normal.

Lon More
27th Apr 2013, 07:41
and he then immediately gives a possible reason, "It would have had to fall down at a certain angle," said Kelly.

Come on, you know the trolls read these threads. Let's not give them ammunition for their half-baked ideas.

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Apr 2013, 07:48
I doubt that anyone would deliberately plant such debris in an effort to deceive or manuipulate without removing any giveaway evidence such as a rope.

Cacophonix
27th Apr 2013, 07:49
On the subject of aircraft debris and wreckage the earth constantly seems to be yielding up poignant reminders of a heinous, violent or accidental past. The area around my abode (mostly cultivated land) provides a major find (e.g. complete engines, landing gear etc.) from allied and enemy aircraft dating back to the WWII every couple of years.

The recurrent theme from the farmers who usually find these artefacts is that "I have ploughed this field for years and could never have missed such a large object".

I remember, on the day of Dianna Princess of Wales funeral, flying down to Shoreham where I viewed an almost complete hurricane that had been disinterred from the soft soil near a housing estate with the remains of one man Flight Sergeant Noble still in it. The poignant exhibit (the pilot having been given a military burial) made a very strong impression on me as I wondered about that brave man's final power dive into the mud and oblivion, lost but not gone for so many years.

Caco

TOWTEAMBASE
27th Apr 2013, 08:57
But surely the difference between the area covered in Lockerbie, and that of 9/11 is due to the fact the PAN AM was at 30,000ft or more and broke apart at altitude, maybe I'm wrong in that assumption !

TEEEJ
27th Apr 2013, 09:03
I would expect that this is remnants of the landing gear from Boeing 767 UAL Flight 175 (WTC 2)? Pieces of landing gear and engine from UAL 175 have been recovered from the same area (Park Place). See link to graphic.

File:World Trade Center, NY - 2001-09-11 - Debris Impact Areas.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Trade_Center,_NY_-_2001-09-11_-_Debris_Impact_Areas.svg)

After the plane penetrated through the tower, part of the plane's landing gear and fuselage came out the north side of the tower and crashed through the roof and two of the floors of 45–47 Park Place, between West Broadway and Church Street, (600 feet (180 meters)) north of the former World Trade Center. The plane parts destroyed three floor beams, and severely compromised the building's internal structure...........

Some debris from the aircraft were recovered nearby, including landing gear found on top of a building on the corner of West Broadway and Park Place, an engine found at Church & Murray Street, and a section of the fuselage landed on top of 5 World Trade Center.

United Airlines Flight 175 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_175)

Investigators are looking into how a part of what appears to be landing gear became wedged between 51 Park Place -- the site of a controversial community center -- and another building, just a few blocks from ground zero.

NY police: Landing gear part found, is tied to 9/11 - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/26/us/new-york-9-11-plane-part/index.html)

DX Wombat
27th Apr 2013, 11:02
There is one important piece of information which seems to have been forgotten in this is-it-isn't-it debate - the statement that the piece of landing gear bears a numbered Boeing stamp. That stamp, if genuine, will be traceable to the aircraft from which it came. Let's just wait and see.

B Fraser
27th Apr 2013, 11:17
I doubt that anyone would deliberately plant such debris in an effort to deceive or manuipulate without removing any giveaway evidence such as a rope.

According to the report on the BBC who quote the NY Police Commissioner......

Mr Kelly told reporters after inspecting it that a length of rope was looped around the piece of steel and that no marks were visible on the walls overhead.
What appears to be the remains of a broken pulley can be seen with the wreckage and the New York Times reports that Mr Kelly did not completely exclude the idea that the aircraft debris may have been lowered into the gap.

It's mathematically possible for the (tumbling ?) debris to have fallen from the tower to the very narrow gap without impacting the top or side of the wall, It is also mathematically possible for a blind dart player to hit a bullseye at the first attempt while standing 50 feet from the board with no idea where the board is. What is the most likely explanation ? Now consider the dart is found to have a piece of string around it ?

It will be interesting to see if the serial numbers match the aircraft. If they do then the question will be how did someone get hold of it ? The forensic boys will be busy with that rope.

Load Toad
27th Apr 2013, 11:23
Strewth there is some BS on JB...

Given the energy of the impacts it isn't surprising some pieces flew off a distance and fell into hard to access areas & remained undiscovered.

The reason it is taped off as a crime scene expect is that if there is one piece there they may be others and specifically the Americans have been admirably thorough in trying to find any human remains, identifying them and thus allowing the families to be able to to bury & honour their loved ones in some small way if possible.

I expect there will be other pieces found in the future.

603DX
27th Apr 2013, 11:46
What appears to be the remains of a broken pulley can be seen with the wreckage and the New York Times reports that Mr Kelly did not completely exclude the idea that the aircraft debris may have been lowered into the gap.

The presence of both the rope and part of a pulley could be indicative of the wreckage becoming entangled with existing rooftop window cleaning cradle equipment during its post-impact trajectory. Many city buildings have such installations around the perimeter of their roof. I would imagine that the forensic examinations will consider this possibility, amongst other potential sources of these items.

Torque Tonight
27th Apr 2013, 12:07
From that one picture it looks more like flight control linkages from the main wheel well rather than a landing gear component but it's not very clear.

As usual the theories put forward be the conspiracy theorists are far less plausible or likely than the reality.

stuckgear
27th Apr 2013, 13:00

I'm not.

neither am i.

and aircraft parts from WWII are still being found..

'Whispering Death' WWII Plane Found: Remains Of Bristol Beaufighter Aircraft Uncovered In Italy (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/10/whispering-death-wwii-plane-remains-bristol-beaufighter-_n_3053392.html)

stuckgear
27th Apr 2013, 13:10
Your comment inspires the thought that this piece of wreckage should be put in a museum, having never been allowed to touch the ground in its journey.

Seconded !

your comment on i think V2's comment is salient.

perhaps this part should be suspended in a glass case an on memorial display..

the significance being the sudden termination of the lives of all on the ground and in the air that day. we remember them all, each and every one, who's journey was cut short by destruction.

As a testament to each and every single life lost on that day their journey remains ever in perpetuity, never to be completed and this piece of landing gear will never again cycle to allow that journey to be completed.

if a petition exists to lobby for such a memorial i will sign. if not, i will have no issue in raising the suggestion to a senior senator, if anyone else feels the same way PM me and i will draw up the documents for the lobby question to be raised.

Davaar
27th Apr 2013, 13:48
I found a glass shard 25 feet from the point of impact.

As but a lad, I was with the law firm that acted for the automobile insurers of a celebrity who had been badly injured in a collision.

I prepared a package of "precognitions" (witnesses' statements) for counsel. They ran thus:

#1. I am Mrs Mary X, aged xx. I reside at xxxxxxxx in the County of VVVV. I am a housewife. I was at home in the kitchen on [material date at ? o'clock] and I heard a terrible crash just outside. It was just awful. I ran out to see, and the car was all crushed. Blood everywhere. Glass and mud had fallen from the front mudguards of one car in a parabolic curve and ....."

Davaar: "Huh? Mrs Mary? A parabolic curve?"

#2. I am Constable Z of the VVVV County Police at the MMMM office. I am aged nnn and have been a member of the Force for bbb years. On [material date at ? o'clock] I was on my beat at the corner of MMMM Street and QQQQ Road and heard the crash of two or more cars. I proceeded rapidly on foot to the locus and there saw that a crash had taken place between two cars. I took notes of the registration plates in my book. I have these notes here. Glass and mud had fallen from the front mud-guards of one car in a parabolic curve and ....."

Davaar: "Oh Yeah?, Officer? A parabolic curve?".

#3. I am Robert OOOO. I reside at pppp in the County of VVVV. I am a teacher at VVVVV High School where I am Head of Classics. I am ooo years of age and teach Latin and Greek. I was going to work on [material date at ? o'clock] when I heard a crash. I rushed to help if I could. Two cars were badly damaged. Glass and mud had fallen from the front mudguards of one car in a parabolic curve and ..........."

Davaar: "Sure! A parabolic curve, you say!"

#4. I am Professor Snooks, aged ttt, residing at uuuuu in the County of VVVV. I am aged hh years, and Head of the Department of Engineering at the Snodgrass Institute of Technology in wwww. Apart from my administrative duties I teach a class in engineering physics. I was walking on MMMM Street ongoing to work on [material date at ? o'clock] when I hear a collision take place. I turned and saw that Glass and mud had fallen from the front mudguards of one car in a parabolic curve and ..........."

Davaar: "Ah! So that's where THAT came from!"

TEEEJ
27th Apr 2013, 14:53
Part number appears to be 65B84045. The last part after 5 is unreadable to me.

Boeing part 65B84045-1 is a clamp.

Image of serial number at following link.

Plane landing gear belonging to 9/11 Boeing jet found at 'Ground Zero mosque'* - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/landing-gear-9-11-boeing-jet-found-ground-zero-mosque-article-1.1328547)

pigboat
27th Apr 2013, 15:00
First off is that a rope or is it a length of cable, as in steel control cable?

Second off, if there is a part number - or even better - a serial number on the part, the authorities will be able to determine precisely which aircraft it was last installed on.

Third off, this whole subject is going to need a load of this product.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/beach-shallow-water/639624d1338062366-do-you-work-tesoro-troll_spray.jpg

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Apr 2013, 16:03
This thread is starting to feel like a typical 'Rumours and News' effort.

I'll nip back for a quick peek when page 250 comes around. :}

V2-OMG!
27th Apr 2013, 19:37
This thread has developed another set of legs (or landing gear as the case may be?) Reminds me of the old riddle about the farmer walking down the road with a rope around his neck; did he find a rope or lose a cow?

I posted this in the spirit of "feeling" vs. methodical study. I am not condemning the latter. The reply is interesting, and most are constructed with benevolence.

Thank-you....and carry on.

TEEEJ
28th Apr 2013, 20:57
Rusted metal part found near World Trade Center came from type of Boeing jet hijacked on 9/11

NEW YORK — A rusted piece of airplane landing gear discovered wedged between two New York City buildings has been confirmed as coming from the type of Boeing jet used to destroy the nearby World Trade Center on Sept. 11.

The American Airlines and United Airlines planes hijacked by Islamic extremists in 2001 were Boeing 767s.

Police said Saturday detectives have been in contact with officials at Chicago-based Boeing Co. who confirm the wreckage is from that kind of plane.

Rusted metal part found near World Trade Center came from type of Boeing jet hijacked on 9/11 - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/part-of-landing-gear-believed-to-be-from-911-plane-found-between-nyc-mosque-site-high-rise/2013/04/26/a1d37dee-aedb-11e2-b59e-adb43da03a8a_story.html)

parabellum
28th Apr 2013, 22:13
How about 65B64045 --- for the serial number TEEJ?

G-CPTN
28th Apr 2013, 22:31
Rusted? :ugh:

Lonewolf_50
28th Apr 2013, 23:14
After 11 years of sitting about, why would it not be corroded? :confused:

TEEEJ
28th Apr 2013, 23:24
The following is a better image, Parabellum

http://yostatus.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/04/enhanced-buzz-29179-1367013417-20.jpg

Boeing part 65B84045-1 is a clamp.

All-in-One Report for National Stock Number: N/A, Part Number: 65B840451 - PartsLogistics (http://www.partslogistics.com/demo/search-part_num-65B840451.html)

The aircraft mechanism found behind the Ground Zero “mosque” site belongs to a Boeing 767 — the same model as the airliners used on 9/11 at the World Trade Center, police confirmed yesterday.

But aviation experts say a number stamped on the wreckage will likely not help determine which of the two 767s it came from.

That number — BOEING CSTG 65B84045 — is a “casting number” not unique to the part or to the plane, said Alan Lery of Turbo Resources International, an Arizona aircraft-parts seller.

It’s possible a number of parts on the mechanism have the same designation, he explained.

Number found on part at Ground Zero likely can?t be traced to specific plane - NYPOST.com (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/serial_is_no_tell_tale_evidence_R8XHAhy7NSl2FxhQg3mhDM)

A poster on Airliners forum has looked up the part in the 767 Parts Cat.

767 Illustrated Parts Catalog

Boeing Casting

Searching for "65B84045-1"

65B84045-1 .CLAMP
ACTUATOR INSTL-TE FLAP DRIVE POSITION NO.4 AND NO.5 27 - 51 - 05 001 50 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

65B84045-1 .CLAMP
ACTUATOR INSTL-POSITION NO.3 AND 6 TE FLAP DRIVE 27 - 51 - 11 001 30 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

65B84045-1 .CLAMP
ACTUATOR INSTL-POSITION NO.2 AND 7 TE FLAP DRIVE 27 - 51 - 22 001 45 3

65B84045-1 .CLAMP
ACTUATOR INSTL-POSITION NO. 1 AND 8 TE FLAP DRIVE 27 - 51 - 22 002 35 3

The chaps over there do a nice tie up with the following graphic.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/Jet-Mech/767_zps41f562fc.jpg

Landing Gear Believed To Be From 9/11 Plane Found — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5748603/)

Lonewolf_50
28th Apr 2013, 23:35
From those pics, I gather that the line is 'part of the flap assembly' rather than part of the landing gear.

lomapaseo
29th Apr 2013, 00:05
I wonder if it ever made it through the building, or was just part of the splash back?

Course we don't know yet what building and possible trajectories to the resting place.

500N
29th Apr 2013, 00:09
Lom

"Course we don't know yet what building and possible trajectories to the resting place."

I am sure their is a link on this page or a few pages back that
showed both the impacts and where parts were found, including
other parts at the same location this was found.

It also gave an explanation as to what was through and through
and what was, as you say, splash back.

If you find the link I think you will find the answer.

TEEEJ
29th Apr 2013, 00:55
Could the rope be from a recovery operation by a private company during 2001? Was the aircraft part simply too difficult to retrieve from the narrow space?

The owner of a store in Park Place hired a private company to remove wreckage of Flight 175. Small parts of the wreckage recovered during that operation were never handed over to the authorities. A retired US Marine held onto the parts for personal reasons. See link.

When the building was struck on 9/11, Burlington (Burlington Coat Factory) hired Forthright (Forthright Development Company) to go back into the building where they had just completed work and remove the wreckage of Flight 175 from the badly damaged building.

The crew of 15 men made their way into the building with great care, cautiously edging their way up the idle escalators to reach the third floor of the severely damaged structure. There was water everywhere recalled Parente. The sprinkler system had been activated when the building was struck and most of the store merchandise had been ruined.

"It was a mess. The landing gear must have weighed about half a ton and when it hit that building it was like one of those "bunker busters", slicing through the roof and straight down into the heart of the structure. It was sticking out of the ceiling on the third floor. All of us on the work detail got real quiet thinking about the people on that plane."

After securing the large chunk of landing gear with ropes, Parente and the rest of the crew pulled and yanked on the strut, rocking it back and forth, until the ceiling gave way. The landing gear came crashing down into the men's clothing section of the never-opened store......

New Rochelle Marine Disputes Defenders of 'Ground Zero' Mosque in New York City | Talk of the Sound (http://www.newrochelletalk.com/content/new-rochelle-marine-disputes-defenders-ground-zero-mosque-new-york-city)

rottenray
29th Apr 2013, 01:10
wombat writes:
the statement that the piece of landing gearActually, as someone pointed out before, it appears to be a flap actuator.

As far as the rope, NYC is home to thousands of scrappers (folks who collect recyclables for cash) and that rope may well represent someone's attempt to either get it off a rooftop or drag it out of that breezeway.

We'll never know, but I doubt seriously that it was planted.

TEEEJ
29th Apr 2013, 01:16
Lom,

The following might help?

File:World Trade Center, NY - 2001-09-11 - Debris Impact Areas.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_Trade_Center,_NY_-_2001-09-11_-_Debris_Impact_Areas.svg)

A poster on photobucket has the following graphic.

Yellow arrow is the newly found part.

Orange arrow is a landing gear strut.

Green arrow is an engine after it clipped the roof on the Murray Street side.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af74/waypastvne/Wtc-photo.jpg

Taildragger67
29th Apr 2013, 05:57
Yep

Despite over 90 years of tilling the soil, bits of ordnance are dug up daily in the farmland that was the Western Front, to the extent that the local constabulary regular disposal blow-ups.

Likewise human remains occasionally make their way to the surface and are recovered and treated with due respect.

Lest we forget.

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2013, 16:03
Here in NYC the local media is reporting that Boeing has identified the part as not belonging to a landing gear but a "trailing edge flap actuation support structure". Having no idea what this means (I used to jump out of aircraft, not study them!) I'll leave it to those in the know for comment.

500N
29th Apr 2013, 16:06
rgb

See the post #46 above.

Show a picture of where it fits on the wing.

rgbrock1
29th Apr 2013, 16:14
Ah yes, 500N, now I see. As usual, the talking heads of the media had it wrong by calling it a "piece of landing gear."

On a similar note:

From my 10th floor office window here in Da Bronx I have a clear view to Manhattan. (Which is only about 10 miles away anyway.) I have been watching the building of 1 World Trade Center for 2 years now. It was slow, but steady, progress.

Today the last part of the skyscraper (the spire) was supposed to be hoisted atop the building but due to nasty weather conditions here in the area, it has been postponed until the middle of the week.

When the spire is finally crowned on top the building the entire structure will be 1,776' high.

See that Al Qaeda? You took both of 'em down. But another went up in its place. Stick it.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn-latino/lifestyle/660/371/AP130311113638.jpg?ve=1

DX Wombat
29th Apr 2013, 18:29
After 11 years of sitting about, why would it not be corroded? Why would it necessarily corrode? Surely that depends on the nature of the materials from which it was constructed?
In 2003 I was privileged to take part in the RFDS Outback Air Safari during which we visited Truscott the site of a Liberator crash in 1945. The wreckage is still there as a memorial to those who died and I can assure you that many of the parts have no corrosion at all. The stainless steel is as pristine as the day it was fitted in spite of being subjected to tropical storms and bushfires. Article here. (http://www.ozatwar.com/ozcrashes/nt31.htm)

Actually, as someone pointed out before, it appears to be a flap actuator.
Actually, rottenray at the time of writing that post the part was stated to be a part of the landing gear and that remained so until thirty eight hours (approx.) later which, if you had bothered to read the times of the posts, is something you could have worked out for yourself - possibly. :rolleyes: :ugh:

500N
29th Apr 2013, 18:46
DX

Re corrosion, agree. Plenty of aircraft part spread across Australia
from WWII that are not corroded. Everything iron rusts, everything
else seems to survive quite well.

lomapaseo
29th Apr 2013, 18:50
Re corrosion, agree. Plenty of aircraft part spread across Australia
from WWII that are not corroded. Everything iron rusts, everything
else seems to survive quite well..

even the aluminium?

500N
29th Apr 2013, 20:01
Maybe I was a bit strong with the "not corroded".

Just look for Pacific Aircraft wrecks from WWII,
where they haven't been pilfered, some still exist
in tact.

Lonewolf_50
29th Apr 2013, 21:04
DX, are you sure you know what that part is made of?

Are you sure you know what environment the part was in?

In some materials, like in "brown bess" muskets, surface corrosion may act as a bit of a barrier to subsequent corrosion.

Depends on the environment, and the material.

Take it from me: aluminum corrodes. A neat word for you: exfoliation.

Some of the alloys once called "stainless steel" are now called "CRS" for corrosion resistant steel. Even stainless will corrode, albeit slowly, depending on environment.

I have spent time in aircraft maintenance as part of my professoin. How about you? :confused:

West Coast
29th Apr 2013, 21:27
Spoken like the squadron maintenance officer...

And the squadron plaque officer...

Coffee mess officer...

Special projects officer..

And whatever else the XO needs done

West Coast
29th Apr 2013, 22:12
Do tell, what new word word would that be?

Dushan
29th Apr 2013, 22:13
One of the first things you learn when you start messing with boats is that stainless steel is just that: stainless. Nobody ever calls it stainfree steel.

DX Wombat
29th Apr 2013, 22:37
Sorry West Coast, I didn't mean you, and the word I was talking about was "exfoliation". ;)

TEEEJ
11th May 2013, 18:03
Contrary to an initial theory that the piece could have been lowered by a rope found still wrapped to it, the police department clarified Monday that a police officer had attached the rope last week to maneuver the part to better see a serial number and other indicators.

New York officials to seek human remains at 9/11 plane part site - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/29/us/new-york-9-11-plane-part/index.html?hpt=hp_t3)

Short video of recovery at following link.

Update: No human remains found with 9/11 plane part (http://news.msn.com/us/update-no-human-remains-found-with-9-11-plane-part)

B Fraser
11th May 2013, 19:12
So cock-up beats conspiracy yet again.