PDA

View Full Version : Churchill portait for a fiver

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2013, 18:25
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat... and a fiver: Sir Winston Churchill will be the next face of the five pound note - Home News - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/i-have-nothing-to-offer-but-blood-toil-tears-and-sweat-and-a-fiver-sir-winston-churchill-will-be-the-next-face-of-the-five-pound-note-8589944.html)

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8589914.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/churchill-ap.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
26th Apr 2013, 18:34
He will become the first politician of the modern era to feature on a banknote, and in replacing Elizabeth Fry, he will leave the Queen the only woman on a UK note.

Well... This needs fixing... I nominate Maggie.. :E

PS: Congrats to Winnie... :D:D:D

Capetonian
26th Apr 2013, 18:35
I nominate Maggie. +1

Lon More
26th Apr 2013, 18:58
Here we go again.....
Thatcher already has the one pound coin,

I was going to suggest her face would be better on a roll of toilet paper, but that's already been done.

sitigeltfel
26th Apr 2013, 19:04
If they ever printed a fiver with Broons face, it would become the worlds most expensive toilet paper.

tony draper
26th Apr 2013, 19:07
First we had Gods on our coinage,then Emperors then kings,now fecking politicians,bottom of the barrel folks.
:rolleyes:

Capetonian
26th Apr 2013, 19:08
If they printed currency with Bliar's face on it ..... I wouldn't even wipe my backside with him.

And if they printed stamps with his gloating smug face on them, they wouldn't work because people would be spitting on the wrong side.

Lon More
26th Apr 2013, 19:16
Unfortunately nobody bought the Thatcher paper because it already had the sh*t on it.
They were going to put her face on postage stamps but nobody wanted to lick the backside, except for the usual suspects.

Sunnyjohn
26th Apr 2013, 19:33
Well, I can't see what's wrong with ole Winston but, OK, let's have a nomination.

I nominate Isambard Kingdom Brunel, even though he was half-French:

http://www.building.co.uk/Pictures/web/k/h/b/14brunel1.jpg

tony draper
26th Apr 2013, 19:45
Well we did have a French King once,in 1216 very briefly,King Louise Ist,just for a few months,King John up and died so we didn't need Louise anymore so we gave him 10,000 crowns and told him to buggah off back to France
We dont like to speak about it though.

ZOOKER
26th Apr 2013, 20:04
I'm with Sunnyjohn on that.
That picture does look like Van Morrison in the early 1970s, in a stovepipe hat. Stovepipe hats off to both Isambard and George Ivan.
Love to see both of them on the notes.
Spent just over a year working in Scotland, where bank-notes are far more interesting.

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2013, 20:29
King Louise?
cross-dresser was he?

pigboat
26th Apr 2013, 20:38
First we had Gods on our coinage,then Emperors then kings,now fecking politicians,bottom of the barrel folks.

Drapes over here they've taken to naming airports for politicians. Jesus wept. :yuk:

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2013, 20:43
they've taken to naming airports for politiciansWhereas in England we have Robin Hood and John Lennon (and George Best in Noriron).

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2013, 20:44
Well here we name them after drunks and wife-beaters :*

Sorry G-CPTN - you beat me to it!

Sunnyjohn
26th Apr 2013, 20:49
Come on, you lot - get back on thread. Nominations for the banknote please . .

Loose rivets
26th Apr 2013, 20:56
Me?

Edit to say, do I have to be dead?

Sunnyjohn
26th Apr 2013, 20:58
Well - at least as old as Brunel.

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2013, 21:08
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/Banknotes_zps2c373df3.jpg

tony draper
26th Apr 2013, 21:24
Who the hell was John Houblon? :confused:

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2013, 21:32
John Houblon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Houblon)

tony draper
26th Apr 2013, 21:37
Yer one googled him Mr Mindbender thank you
Well I did know who the rest of them were :=

Milo Minderbinder
26th Apr 2013, 22:18
The Wiki article doesn't really say a lot about him. Houblon is obviously not an English name. Presumably he was Hugenot (his wife was). If so, interesting to see how quickly someone of immigrant blood became accepted into the English heirarchy
Or maybe he was Dutch / Flemish origin????

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2013, 23:41
We haven't had an artist yet, so maybe Turner with HMS Temeraire, which has been voted Britain's favourite painting, in the background?

brickhistory
26th Apr 2013, 23:52
I nominate Isambard Kingdom Brunel, even though he was half-French

Well, Winston was half-American so perhaps he'll set a precedent for future such 'diluted' nominations.

onetrack
27th Apr 2013, 01:01
I would hazard a guess, that with the re-appearance of Winston Churchill on a new fiver, Britain is trying to revive some national glory of the days when Britain had an Empire, and a Navy that ruled the seas.

The problem might be, that very few of the great unwashed (and poorly educated) members of the current British population, would even know who Churchill was, or would even care.

I'd nominate someone who really made a difference to British everyday lives - Bryan Donkin for example, or Robert Mushet. Both of these men contributed greatly to Britains ability to build her Empire in the early to middle years of the 19th century.

Capetonian
27th Apr 2013, 07:05
.......... very few of the great unwashed (and poorly educated) members of the current British population, would even know who Churchill was, or would even care.

Teacher : "Why was Winston Churchill famous?"
Student : "He was the last white man to be called Winston."

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Apr 2013, 07:25
Without Winston Churchill there would be no five pound note.

T'would be deutschmarks or rubles.

Lon More
27th Apr 2013, 07:33
Interesting, considering that the official line is against the break-up of the Union, how few names on the approved list are not English.

Maybe famous landmarks would be less contentious; Stonehenge, the BoB Memorial at Capel, Edinburgh Castle, The Giants' Causeway.

ExSp33db1rd
27th Apr 2013, 08:36
The Spitfire

and maybe the Lancaster, tho' that might need the 50 quid note to get it all on?

tony draper
27th Apr 2013, 08:51
A Printing firm in Nigeria wants them to hurry and make up their minds about this,they have printing presses to set up.
:uhoh:

Lon More
27th Apr 2013, 08:55
A Printing firm in Nigeria wants them to hurry and make up their minds about this,they have printing presses to set up.

Priceless Mr. D :ok:

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2013, 09:57
Churchill (http://mimagency.co.uk/cms/_images/churchill_dog-oh_yes.jpg).

tony draper
27th Apr 2013, 10:10
His great great great great Grandpappy John Churchill saved Europe from being French,no John Churchill? well it just dont bare thinking about.

603DX
27th Apr 2013, 10:59
Despite his being a politician (amongst his many and varied attributes), and his being only half English, I support the choice of Churchill 100%. In my lifetime there have been very few public figures for whom I would have stood for hours in a bitterly cold city street to see their funeral procession pass by. He was such a man, a very special case. I very much doubt if I will ever see his like again. When a great man makes mistakes, as he did on more than one occasion, then they are commensurately grave errors, but the far greater good that his inspired leadership achieved in time of dire need, far transcended these. May his dogged image remain long on our banknotes.

cattletruck
27th Apr 2013, 15:20
David Attenborough would be good on the folding collateral as most natives already know him.

RTN11
27th Apr 2013, 15:57
Why not make the notes more interesting generally, like the coins all come together to make one large image of a shield, the notes could all form part of a picture.

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Apr 2013, 16:05
David Attenborough would be good...

...on a new guinea coin.

crewmeal
27th Apr 2013, 19:42
I'm in favour of Simon Cowell on the back of a tenner. After all he's provided so much to bitch about he deserves reognition. Well suited in your back pocket:ugh:

Milo Minderbinder
27th Apr 2013, 20:21
thats a bit too queer to have in my back pocket

onetrack
28th Apr 2013, 01:33
Why not make the notes more interesting generally, like the coins all come together to make one large image of a shield, the notes could all form part of a picture
What an excellent idea! You could assemble the entire contents of your pockets in a flash, the instant the natives got restless and advanced on you with threatening spears upraised! Capt Cook should have thought of this! :)

vulcanised
28th Apr 2013, 12:01
I wonder why the UK has not adopted the plasticised notes used elsewhere (Oz?).

Must be harder to forge, and last a lot longer.

rjtjrt
28th Apr 2013, 12:37
"I wonder why the UK has not adopted the plasticised notes used elsewhere (Oz?)."
Because they are bloody awful!
Hopefully the Brits have more sense.

onetrack
28th Apr 2013, 13:18
The "plasticised" (polymer, actually) notes might be "bloody awful" to those who have never moved past 18th century note-printing - but we invented them - we've been using them for the last 25 yrs - they're extremely durable - they're cheaper and more environmentally-friendly - they're nearly impossible to forge - and they have superior security features to any other style of note.
No less than 7 countries use them today, and more are looking at using them; the Brits had better get with the times.
With the cost-cutting going on in the U.K. today, I thought the cost of producing their outdated paper currency would be one area where the Govt would be looking to save a few quid.

Polymer banknote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_banknote)

Dushan
28th Apr 2013, 13:43
Drapes over here they've taken to naming airports for politicians. Jesus wept. :yuk:

Dorval was a politician?

pigboat
28th Apr 2013, 13:47
Thankfully I retired before the airport was renamed, so I never had to spit his name into a mic. They should have named Mirabel after him, it was his baby from the git-go. :yuk:

Milo Minderbinder
28th Apr 2013, 15:29
Actually.....the first plastic notes were made in Britain and used in the Isle of Man between 1983-88. They were made of Tyvek
I still have a couple of pound notes around somewhere. There was one issue and then the Manx went back to paper: the apochryphal story was that the notes were too resilient, so the company who made them never got a repeat order and ended up insolvent

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Isle-of-man-plastic-pound-note-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/~xIAAOxy9eVRN57X/$%28KGrHqNHJFIFEyEpCkOQBRN57WvGHQ~~60_35.JPG

Isle of Man (http://www.polymernotes.org/country_pages/iom.htm)

reynoldsno1
28th Apr 2013, 22:58
the Brits had better get with the times.
.. well, when living in good 'ol MI I had several US$1 coins - they were turned down a number of times, and I was asked for paper ones instead....

unclenelli
1st May 2013, 23:30
I can't see the point of using a picture of Winston Churchill on the back of a Fiver

We could only spend them on the beaches!

brickhistory
2nd May 2013, 00:32
:ok::ok::ok:

Or put a few of them together and enjoy your "finest hour."

Dushan
2nd May 2013, 01:34
Thankfully I retired before the airport was renamed, so I never had to spit his name into a mic. They should have named Mirabel after him, it was his baby from the git-go. :yuk:

There is still hope. They can rename Mirabel - Justin.

Dushan
2nd May 2013, 01:36
.. well, when living in good 'ol MI I had several US$1 coins - they were turned down a number of times, and I was asked for paper ones instead....

Damn right raynold. Dollar coins don't hold we'll in a G-string.

Capetonian
2nd May 2013, 13:58
How well do you know your banknotes? - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10025611/How-well-do-you-know-your-banknotes.html)

I got 7/10 - much to my surprise!

Fantome
14th May 2013, 02:36
http://australia.gov.au/AGOSP/agencies/culture/library/images/site_images/20dollarnote_web.jpg
Sir Charles Kingsford Smith featured on an Australian $20 dollar note. Image courtesy of the Reserve Bank of Australia (http://www.rba.gov.au/).

http://www.polymernotes.com/australia20f.jpg

The founder of what became the ROYAL FLYING DOCTOR SERVICE was
the Reverend John Flynn. The DH50 was built in Longreach by QANTAS.
The first aero medical flights were made out of Cloncurry in 1928 flown by Arthur Affleck (who later in life wrote an amusing book called 'The Wandering Years')

The aeroplane was to be christened VICTOR in honour of one of the service's benefactors, Hugh Victor McKay, of Sunshine Harvester fame. He did not like that idea at all. But died before he could tell Hudson Fysh of QANTAS his objection. The Rev John Flynn knew, though, so just before the opening ceremony he found a paint pot and brush so he could add the letter Y to Victor, making VICTORY.
(This is one of those little footnotes to history that has been overlooked by the various writers of the Qantas and RFDS histories.)

Apologies, men of Harlech , hijacking your thread.

A musical friend of Milligan once asked him if he could hold a note, to which Spike of course said sure ting. open your wallet and say after me 'help yourself'.

and again on TV in Sydney one time, Peter Luck the interviewer of Spike said to his guest 'well thank you Spike for coming in. What note would you like to end on?'

Spike sticks his head up right close to the camera, adopting his idiot visage, and says .. 'A twenty dollar, and send it to Spike Milligan at 393 Orange Grove Road, Woy Woy'

You lot over there might think about printing some really funny money.

That was a nice stamp you had, by the way, the one with Pooh on it, by Ernest H Shepherd.