PDA

View Full Version : Appendicitis

airbus_driver319
25th Apr 2013, 21:45
Hi guys,

Just had to have my appendix removed after suddenly developing acute appendicitis. The operation was performed by means of key hole surgery.

I'm just approaching 30, A32X Captain.

Anyone know the definitive answer on informing the CAA?

Also, any advice or tips on things to eat and do to get fully fit again?

Many thanks!

gingernut
25th Apr 2013, 22:24
Anyone know the definitive answer on informing the CAA?

I expect that you'll be flying within 6 weeks, you do need to inform your AME. :-)

airbus_driver319
26th Apr 2013, 00:29
I dropped him an email. Just trying to pass the time in the hospital bed!

Do the CAA suspend the medical? Or is it all just managed via the AME?

Cheers

Bearcat
26th Apr 2013, 16:45
Does it matter if they do/don't suspend your medical as you won't be going near a plane for circa 6 weeks. You go back to your consultation / surgeon 6 weeks...he/she gives you the all clear.....they in turn fax/email report into CAA. This is where I am unclear, CAA may want you in for a medical or they may give you the all clear based on surgeons report.

Enjoy your time off as you'll be back in 320 world before you know it.:ok:

Dufo
28th Apr 2013, 18:04
MED.A.020 Decrease in medical fitness

(a) Licence holders shall not exercise the privileges of their licence and related ratings or certificates at any time when they:

(1) are aware of any decrease in their medical fitness which might render them unable to safely exercise those privileges;

(2) take or use any prescribed or non-prescribed medication which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the licence;

(3) receive any medical, surgical or other treatment that is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the licence.

(b) In addition, licence holders shall, without undue delay, seek aero-medical advice when they:

(1) have undergone a surgical operation or invasive procedure;

(2) have commenced the regular use of any medication;

(3) have suffered any significant personal injury involving any incapacity to exercise the privileges of the licence;

(4) have been suffering from any significant illness involving any incapacity to exercise the privileges of the licence;

(5) are pregnant;

(6) have been admitted to hospital or medical clinic;

(7) first require correcting lenses.

In these cases the AeMC or AME shall assess the medical fitness of the licence holder and decide whether he/she is fit to resume the exercise of his/her privileges.

mr ripley
14th May 2013, 20:28
Happened to me a few years ago but not keyhole. Declared to CAA as per rules. In my case the CAA stated that they did not require any reports and were content for me to return to flying after a period of recovery (6 weeks) determined by the surgeon.