PDA

View Full Version : VFR Minima vs PPL(A) priviliges

likair
25th Apr 2013, 18:05
Hello there,

Can someone please shed some light about the title mentioned above.
I seem to be confusing the VFR flight Minima with the privileges of the PPL, which the latter may be more restrictive.

What are the differences between the two?

Does it differ from each member state?

A basic PPL can fly in a minimum flight visibility of 3km, remaining in sight of surface at all times and minimum visibility 10km and in sight of surface on a SFVR clearance in a CTR.

Whopity
26th Apr 2013, 07:14
A basic PPL can fly in a minimum flight visibility of 3km,This is a licence privilege in a UK National licence and was a restriction placed upon JAA licences issued by the UK CAA however; in August 2012 the ANO was amended removing JAA licences from the ANO. There is no such restriction on EASA licences so their is no longer a 3 km limit for JAA, now EASA licence holders. It remains in force for existing UK National licences (non NPPL). As this licence privilege has changed, the only restriction for those affected will now be the VFR minima which can vary from State to State. The SVFR minima will also change with the introduction of SERA.

riverrock83
26th Apr 2013, 10:16
Same with the "in sight of the surface" requirement.

PA28181
26th Apr 2013, 11:33
So for someone like me with two license's, UK Lifetime PPL & now nice Blue EASA PPL,

can I pick and choose which minima I like? ie: 1.5k or 3k vis etc.

I know where to look for my original licence VFR minima, but cannot find the definitive list/table for EASA, anyone know?

Whopity
26th Apr 2013, 11:44
Regulation 1178/2011FCL.205.A PPL(A) — Privileges
(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.
(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) with instructor or examiner privileges may receive remuneration for:
(1) the provision of flight instruction for the LAPL(A) or PPL(A);
(2) the conduct of skill tests and proficiency checks for these licences;
(3) the ratings and certificates attached to these licences. Plain and simple!

Use the licence with the most advantageous privileges.

PA28181
26th Apr 2013, 12:02
Thanks Whopity, but I am not after the Rules & Regs regarding my privileges as a pilot, as I know my limitations there.

As said, I want to know the differences for VFR/weather related minima for an EASA licence from a UK Lifetime PPL.

Whopity
26th Apr 2013, 13:52
As said, I want to know the differences for VFR/weather related minima for an EASA licence from a UK Lifetime PPL.
3km Vis and in sight of the surface, there is no other difference.

PA28181
26th Apr 2013, 14:12
Quotes:

3km Vis and in sight of the surface, there is no other difference.

There is no such restriction on EASA licences so their is no longer a 3 km limit for JAA, now EASA licence holders.

I'm confused....

flybymike
26th Apr 2013, 14:22
It has been my (possibly incorrect) understanding that standard ICAO vis minima of 1.5k apply to EASA licences, and that the original 3k restriction still applies to UK lifetime PPL licences.

dont overfil
26th Apr 2013, 15:14
vis minima of 1.5k apply to EASA licences,

Loopy! No wonder EASA don't understand the IMC rating when their VFR rules allow you to take off and land in poorer vis than an IMC rated pilot is allowed on an instrument proceedure. I can only assume life has a lower value in EASA la la land.:ugh:

At least it will go some way towards standardising the death rate throughout Europe.:rolleyes:

D.O.

Maoraigh1
26th Apr 2013, 19:18
If I inadvertantly found myself in 3km viz, I'd be looking for any space to put down on. (Unless it was a rainshower, which I knew I'd soon be out of.)
PS See what at 3km - a cloud/fogbank?

mm_flynn
26th Apr 2013, 21:31
Loopy! No wonder EASA don't understand the IMC rating when their VFR rules allow you to take off and land in poorer vis than an IMC rated pilot is allowed on an instrument proceedure. I can only assume life has a lower value in EASA la la land.:ugh:

It is worth remembering the VFR minima in Europe are now consistent with ICAO recommendations, with which the UK was historically out of step. This is not to suggest it is necessarily a good idea for any given pilot to operate at the limit of allowed visibility.