PDA

View Full Version : FAR 91 Checks

Keepitup
25th Apr 2013, 14:00
Hi All,

Need assistance due to new legislation between FAA & EASA. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I have a couple of 'N' Registered helicopters that need the FAR 91 checks carried out.

Does anyone know who can carry this out (ie the aircraft types need to be on the companies EASA Form 3 capability list) & be an FAA Repair Station.

So far my only options are, re register the aircraft, take the aircraft to the States or ground the aircraft, Help !!!!!!!!

Oh, I am based in the UK

rick1128
25th Apr 2013, 15:24
It sounds like you are talking about maintenance checks. Usually here in the states they are referred to as inspections. As far as the FAA is concerned, a holder of a Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) certificate can perform any and all maintenance and inspections, except for the annual inspection. The person that signs off an annual inspection must not only hold an A&P certificate but also have an Inspection Authorization (IA). That is all that is required. The FAA does not put type authorizations on A&P or IA certificates. It however would be a good move to ensure that the person doing the inspections is knowledgeable of the type aircraft.

Keepitup
25th Apr 2013, 15:47
Hi Rick,

To carry out the FAR 91 checks, the requirements are, Part 43 Appendix E, has to be carried out by an FAA Approved Repair Facility, not just an A&P.

Apparently, the FAA has basically washed its hands of carrying out audits of the foreign approved FAA Stations and left it with the State Authority to oversee, which is for us is EASA:ugh:, therefore the EASA Approved 145 facility needs to have the aircraft on their scope and also be an FAA Approved Repair Station to certify the Avionic inspections on our US machines. Stupid thing is, if this is being covered by EASA, the FAR91 checks aren't applicable, as this is an FAA requirement not EASA.

Before, all it was, was, Approved FAA Repair Facility on a US registered Machine, So easy, but no, they have to change things around:confused:

Keepitup
(I will stand corrected on any of the above, and I hope I am !!!!)

wigglyamp
25th Apr 2013, 19:16
Gama Engineering at Fairoaks have EASA and FAA Part 145 and can do the FAR checks. Aircraft types for FAA work (the Ops Spec) is now limited to the same capability as the EASA approval under the Bi-lateral, so you'd need to check if they have your type covered. They do have coverage on many turbine helicopters.

rick1128
26th Apr 2013, 15:39
Keepitup

It sounds more like Subpart E of Part 91. That includes the Transponder check and the Altimeter check. Here in the states they are referred to as the 91.411 check for the altimeter and the 91.413 check for the transponder.
Unless the helicopters are being operated under IFR, there is no requirement for the altimeter check.

§ 91.413 ATC transponder tests and inspections.

(a) No persons may use an ATC transponder that is specified in 91.215(a), 121.345(c), or § 135.143(c) of this chapter unless, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the ATC transponder has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix F of part 43 of this chapter; and

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

(c) The tests and inspections specified in this section must be conducted by—

(1) A certificated repair station properly equipped to perform those functions and holding—

(i) A radio rating, Class III;

(ii) A limited radio rating appropriate to the make and model transponder to be tested;

(iii) A limited rating appropriate to the test to be performed;

At least here in the US, you only need to find a radio shop, as they do have the equipment required.

Part 43 Appendix E refers to altimeter checks that are required every 24 calendar months for aircraft operated under IFR.

Appendix E to Part 43—Altimeter System Test and Inspection

Each person performing the altimeter system tests and inspections required by § 91.411 shall comply with the following:

(a) Static pressure system:

(1) Ensure freedom from entrapped moisture and restrictions.

(2) Determine that leakage is within the tolerances established in § 23.1325 or § 25.1325, whichever is applicable.

(3) Determine that the static port heater, if installed, is operative.

(4) Ensure that no alterations or deformations of the airframe surface have been made that would affect the relationship between air pressure in the static pressure system and true ambient static air pressure for any flight condition.

It goes further to lay out standards.

Rotorgoat8
16th May 2013, 06:19
As stated before, all you need for a 100 hour inspection is a FAA licensed A&P and for an Annual he must have an IA (Inspection Authorization). There are no requirements by the FAA to use an approved repair facility for an Annual Inspection. For the Transponder cert. (every 2 years) you need an approved FCC Certified sign off.