PDA

View Full Version : BA CEP Weight Requirement

Patsy 001
21st Feb 2001, 13:33
I was reading my BA application form last night and was wondering about the weight requirement - "weight needs to be in proportion to height" - I am 4lbs over what the optimum weight is for my height - is this in proportion or should I hit the old Slim Fast for a few weeks?

Windy
21st Feb 2001, 14:15
I was concerned about this also. I did weigh 233lbs at 1.89m tall. But have got it down to 208 (94kgs).. How much further will I need to go ???? When I went to final board last time - I was at a similar weight (95kgs) and there was no metion of concern.

Bleater
21st Feb 2001, 14:31
The 'Ideal' hieght to wieght ratio has to be a joke, way too low and garbage. I am 5 foot 8 and 85 kg, says I should be 73. Last time that happaned was 21 and skinny as a rake. Dunno how this fits with BA, but suspect you would have to be very big indeed for it to be an issue.

Patsy 001
21st Feb 2001, 14:39
Thanks for that folks.

I'm 1.82m and 188lbs - I think the optimum is somewhere around 184lbs. As I am 23 now I don't want to 'waste' an application this year and lose out as a result of the weight issue. On the reapplication issue - if I apply this year and don't get in, when can I reapply? - I am consious of the 26 age limit.

Any advice?

Lau Che
21st Feb 2001, 14:53
Patsy,

I wouldn't worry too much about this issue... The candidates that the medical staff want to eliminate are those who are grossly overweight (and therefore possibly incapable of carrying out their duties without suffering fatigue). 4lbs here or there isn't going to prevent you from being a pilot.... jeez have you ever seen the circumference of a long-haul LHS occupant?!!

Get that app. in!

LAU.

Patsy 001
21st Feb 2001, 15:12
Cheers Lau - time to take a few days off sick from work!!

Good Luck

GJB
21st Feb 2001, 17:21
The height/weight ratio is only a guide. I have never been in 'proportion.'

I discussed this at my last class 3 medical, and the Dr said, considering my build/frame, that he would be more concerned if I WAS 'in proportion.'

Don't get too hung up about it.

finals40
22nd Feb 2001, 15:09
guys chill out im sure alot of you are going to be fine ....what they mean by the weight and height stuff i think is refering to your body mass index.....you can all work this out at home. firstly take your weight in kg and divide it by your height in metres squared....so eg...if my weight is 75 kg and my height is 1.8m : 75 / (1.8*1.8) which gives me a BMI of 23. The ideal BMi range is between 20 and 25...if your BMI falls between this range you have nothing to worry about asd far as medically speaking and im sure the health staff at BA also go about this in the same way. By chance if you are over the 25 then you are clinically overweight for your height and you may want to lose a few pounds...on the other hand if ur below 20 get those hamburgers down ya!!!!!! Hope this helps guys.

Jimmy Mack
22nd Feb 2001, 15:49
At my last Class 1 medical renewal, the Dr said to me..."Anything wrong with your stomach...apart from the size of it".

I took that as a hint to lose a bit..but at 92 kgs and 1.80 m I didn't think I was that bad.

The ideal BMI (your weight / height squared) is supposed to be 25...so that makes mine 28.
Very few people are below 25.

I think obese is classed as BMI > 35.

Any thoughts...

flying doc
22nd Feb 2001, 17:40
Ahem cough cough splutter...

Okay then my friends.

Let's go with BMI (not that airline...) but Body Mass Index. It is rough indication of how over or underweight you are. It is not ideal because people can genuinely be bigboned etc etc.. but it's not bad.

Yo calculate your BMI do the following sum:

Body weight in KG / height in metres squared

ie: 75 kg / (1.75 x 1.75)

A normal person with no problem will crop up at a value of 25. Under 20 suggests malnourishment and over 30 is where the term obesity begins... but do not worry. 'Obese' in this phraseology means overweight, not that you are a Mr Stay Puft. So 20 to 30 is okay!

If you get to BMI 50 though... I'd cut down on cream cakes.

Any more help required drop me a line,

Flying Doc