PDA

View Full Version : [USMC] Harrier Flight (2013) VIDEO Utube

SpazSinbad
24th Apr 2013, 20:20
Harrier Flight (2013)

“Published on Apr 23, 2013 Video by Gunnery Sgt. Michael Kropiewnicki 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Capt. David Neely, an AV-8B Harrier Pilot assigned to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 266 (Re-inforced), 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), conducts flight operations off USS Kearsarge (LHD3), Mediterranean 28 Mar 2013.”

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/SpazSinbad/NewerAlbum/HarrierFlight2013screen.jpg:original (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SpazSinbad/media/NewerAlbum/HarrierFlight2013screen.jpg.html)

Harrier Flight (2013) - YouTube

Courtney Mil
24th Apr 2013, 20:27
Quite a mission. Er, what did he do? Nice video, though.

SASless
24th Apr 2013, 23:13
He turned quite a few Dinosaur's into Heat and Noise!:E

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
25th Apr 2013, 01:08
Not happy with the landing?

Pontius
25th Apr 2013, 08:58
Got to love that noise :)

Tea White Zero
25th Apr 2013, 09:57
I think that sortie profile code is "FACIT"

F*ck About, Call It Training
;)

India Four Two
25th Apr 2013, 15:38
What's the camo helmet cover for?

1. For E&E?
2. To avoid detection when his Harrier is hiding in the woods?
3. To remind every one he's a gung-ho Marine?

;)

GeorgeHutt
25th Apr 2013, 17:21
Pontius , that lovely noise didn't do my ears any favours....tinnitus is a pain in later years. It sounded good then!

CoffmanStarter
25th Apr 2013, 17:51
IFT ... to match his underwear of course :ok:

GreenKnight121
25th Apr 2013, 23:00
India Fuggin Twit...

The Cammo helmet cover is as per USMC regulations.
The camouflage helmet cover is indeed to show that he is a Marine Officer like any other... it is just that his fighting equipment is a Harrier rather than a LAV, tank, artillery piece, etc.

You see, Marine officers are expected to, if required, take command of ground forces in battle.

As an example, during Vietnam a USMC pilot who was shot down took command of the Marine ground forces which rescued him (as their officer had been killed) and led them in performance of their assigned mission until a relief officer could be flown out (and the pilot flown back in).

Another example is Lt. Col. Christopher K. Raible, Commanding officer of VMA-211... killed leading a counter-attack when Taliban fighters attacked the air base his squadron was on in Afghanistan.

Marine pilots wear that helmet cover because they ARE Marines first and pilots a definite second.

{edit: And oh, yes... if he is shot down he at least has it to help him hide from enemy forces (you know, what camouflage is designed for).}

West Coast
26th Apr 2013, 02:54
You had me right up till you said taking control of ground forces. For many aviators, OCS and TBS was quite a period of time in their past, which is to say they received a combat 101 level exposure to warfare. Unless they've done a ground tour (not many have) they are likely not up on the latest in tactics and equipment. To say they commanded ground forces is likely to say they were the ranking Marine present, that I'd buy. I'd rather take my chances tactically with a 3rd combat tour company Gunny fresh back from the sand box leading the way over a LtCol whose baseline of knowledge was learned when the M-16A1 was the latest and greatest. Hopefully that aviator would be smart enough to recognize that as well. If not, he better have eyes in the back of the noggin after the first boneheaded decision that got friendlies hurt or killed.

orca
26th Apr 2013, 04:38
Anyone notice hand moving to nozzle lever prior to aircraft moving? He must still have had an abort option - might do better to keep hand on the throttle.

It looks like he lands aft of the markings...but I have never landed on a USN amphib so am probably totally wrong.

India Four Two
26th Apr 2013, 05:16
GreenKnight121,

Oh dear, I seem to have hit a raw nerve. My apologies.

My post was light-hearted banter, in the best traditions of this forum. Coffman Starter recognized it as such and replied in kind - I'm sure he doesn't really think that Marine pilots wear camouflaged skivvies.

I'm fully aware of the concept "Marine first, pilot second" and I have read about Lt. Col. Raible's leadership of his men during the Camp Bastion attack.

I don't agree with your last point though. If I was hiding in the woods, I think I would ditch the flying helmet, as being too conspicuous, even with the camo cover. It wouldn't help much anyway, if I was wearing a pink flying suit.

Finally, if you find the level of banter here too much for you, don't even think about looking at www.arrse.co.uk (http://www.arrse.co.uk). :E

West Coast
26th Apr 2013, 05:58
Pink flight suit, with a little tailoring and you'd blend in nicely in San Francisco.

CoffmanStarter
26th Apr 2013, 07:05
GK121 ... Lighten up mate ... Just friendly banter/leg pulling :ok:

Tea White Zero
26th Apr 2013, 07:16
Ooooohhhh someone's tired!!!;)

first thing to remove on sere situation as it rmoves one of the key senses - hearing.... unless you are GeorgeHutt then it does matter...I SAID IT DOESN'T MATTER GEORGE!

:}:}:}

P6 Driver
26th Apr 2013, 08:34
I've been wrong before, but if a Marine pilot were to be shot down and then take command of the ground forces, would he/she continue to wear a flight helmet?

When I've worn them outside of an aircraft, I have spent much time saying "What???" to anyone trying to talk to me, as my Mk.3C & 4B's were fitted well enough to make the ear seals quite effective.

I would imagine that commanding ground forces in combat, hearing well is a bonus. I like the matching underwear idea though!
:ok:

alfred_the_great
26th Apr 2013, 09:09
It's to ensue the best PR machine since Joe Stalin makes sure everyone knows he's a US Marine.

West Coast
26th Apr 2013, 15:27
Most effective PR machine is what you meant to post.

Finnpog
26th Apr 2013, 15:38
Surely it is a noble tradition, and also a reminder from the Commandant and the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps that every marine is first and foremost a Rifleman.

Dimitris
26th Apr 2013, 20:20
Around 4:15 when the second Harrier is landing there are 2 dials that jump randomly in the cockpit. Is that AoA or the small flapped instrument that seems moving in the front of the canopy?

(whats the name of that small flapped instrument in the nose?)

(SLF/PAX)

SpazSinbad
26th Apr 2013, 20:44
For 'Dimitris': Click thumbnail for 'sideslipwindvane AV-8B' big pic: http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/SpazSinbad/NewerAlbum/th_AV-8BsideSlipWindVaneVMA-231.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SpazSinbad/media/NewerAlbum/AV-8BsideSlipWindVaneVMA-231.jpg.html)

Aerial Pursuits Patrick McMonigle USMC Harrier Pilot
Volume 10.11 Newsletter of EAA Chapter 1114 Apex/Cary, NC Nov., 2004

http://www.bairdsolutions.com/pages/newsletters/newsletters/ap_nov_04.pdf

“...I am very careful therefore during hover operations required for landing on our small LHA/LHD carrier decks. The death equation dictates this: (angle-of-attack) x (sideslip angle) x (airspeed) = 0. A small wind vane on the nose helps us avoid sideslip, and a rudder shaker reminds us which rudder peddle to stomp on if we get into trouble...."

Dimitris
26th Apr 2013, 20:49
Great, thanks. That's for hovering (only?). The dials moving when the second jet is landing is due to jet wash on that instrument? I read somewhere that it serves even as visual aid without need to look at instrument panel or I remember different thing?

(just curious)

D

SammySu
26th Apr 2013, 20:53
Very observant. The instruments are IAS and AOA beneath. Flap around lots when near other examples of the most enjoyable flying machine created running at high power. You should see them on an Op launch when 3 feet behind the jet ahead.
The bit in front of the windshield is the yaw vane. Tells you where to point into wind. Useful when transitioning between slow and high speed flight else you crash. Kinda.

orca
26th Apr 2013, 20:58
Dimitris,

You use the vane to stay balanced on the way into and out of the hover, plus into wind when you get there. If you keep the vane pointing noseward you will translate into the wind as you decel. The instruments you saw bouncing are basic flight instruments (from memory Standby ASI top and Standby AoA gauge bottom...but could be well off - time and wine have done their damage). They are being bounced around by the jet efflux from dash two confusing the hell out of the pitots and AoA sensors. They jump as his thrust starts bouncing off the deck.

Edited to add. Or what the chap with the faster keyboard just said!

Dimitris
26th Apr 2013, 21:24
Thanks guys. The yaw vane in the nose is just visual aid?!?! Are there some short of calibration lines in the canopy? Does it feed the HUD? It must feed something in the cockpit, no?

Now for the stupid question:}: Is there any chance the yaw vane to get damaged from jet wash of other plane? Like going off limits side-to side... I guess question extends to AoA indicator sensors..

D

Waddo Plumber
26th Apr 2013, 21:31
It's as complex as a weather vane! Short of being hit with a club hammer, it will tell the truth, even when EMP has taken out the digital systems.

SpazSinbad
26th Apr 2013, 22:00
'Dimitris' some of your questions may be answered in the AV-8B NATOPS PDF: (37Mb)

http://info.publicintelligence.net/AV-8B-000.pdf

Click thumb for instrument panelhttp://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/SpazSinbad/NewerAlbum/th_AV-8BinstrumentPanelNATOPS.gif (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SpazSinbad/media/NewerAlbum/AV-8BinstrumentPanelNATOPS.gif.html)

Stuff
26th Apr 2013, 22:01
Lots more on Intake Momentum Drag and the purpose of the weathervane in this other thread. http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/339323-purpose-operation-rudder-pedal-shakers-harrier.html

Does the weathervane repeat inside the aircraft? Sort of. There's a sideslip indicator at the bottom of the HUD in VSTOL mode but I'm buggered if I can remember what instrument feeds it.

GreenKnight121
26th Apr 2013, 23:13
TWC, P6 driver
You are aware that the helmet cover can be removed from said helmet... and then be used to provide some degree of protection for said pilot's head (reduce the likelihood of ticks and venomous spiders making a home in the hair - admittedly not much of that; lower the risk of sunstroke/sunburn to the skin under that short hair, provide visual camouflage for that part of the body, etc)?

orca
27th Apr 2013, 00:44
Dim,

The vane also had a luminous strip on the back and at the tip - so you could line it up in the dark. Stuff - I think it was inertia and fed the pedal shakers didn't it?

Pontius
27th Apr 2013, 02:37
GK121,

I think you're taking yourself far too seriously. The guys that wear the helmet covers outside of the war zones are basically just posers; the 'look, I've been somewhere hot and I'm going to let everybody know' types. On my VMA we had one but his posing didn't last too long and he ended up with the reflective taped hats, just like the rest of us. Having a camouflaged cover over your reflective hat is just stupid if you're operating from a ship and not going feet dry. The whole idea of the tape is to make you visible in the ocean if you end up banging out and blending into the sea is not high on the list of survival priorities. Removing it is easy should you be conscious, not having to ups your chances.

As for being a rifleman first; well that's good in theory but doesn't work so well in practise. Sure, everybody qualifies on the range and keep current with their personal weapons but the chances of leading a bunch of Devil Dogs, having ejected from your AV8 and landed in the middle of a leaderless platoon are pretty much zero and, as has already been alluded, the average squadron Joe has about as much idea of leading ground troops in a ground skirmish as I do on rocket science.....which is not a terribly large amount :(

Still, give me a II+ to play with again and I'd even wear the shirt-lifting scarf that goes with his helmet cover :}

Edited to add: Yep, Orca, the HUD ball was inertially driven and fed the yaw stab and shakers. Why do I remember such trivia and can't recall the stuff I'm meant to know?

SpazSinbad
27th Apr 2013, 21:14
'Dimitris' has reminded me about this 'Sharkey' story:

The Harrier Story – A Forsaken Legend by CMDR “Sharkey” Ward DSC AFC, 18 Sep 2011

www.sharkeysworld.com (http://www.sharkeysworld.com/2011/09/harrier-story.html)

“...11. My Air Warfare Instructor training had taught me that no matter how good you are at fighter combat or weapon delivery, if you don’t keep flight safety and survival in the forefront of your mind at all times, then you are asking for trouble. This served me well during Harrier training because there was one part of the flight envelope that could be extremely hazardous if you didn’t obey the rules.

12. This was when the aircraft was in transition from wing-borne flight to the hover. The transition commences during your approach to hover and land. The aircraft nozzles are placed in the vertical and as the aircraft slows down rapidly, power is increased to make up for the loss of lift from the wings – until eventually you are being supported entirely by the thrust of the four nozzles. During this transition period which lasts for just a few seconds, it is essential to keep the airflow over the aircraft directly in line with the fore and aft axis. A little wind vane sits on the nose of the aircraft in clear view of the pilot to allow the pilot to make sure that he is decelerating directly into the relative wind. If the air stream is allowed to drift away from the nose of the aircraft, a phenomenon known as Yaw Intake Momentum Drag can suddenly set in and without any other warning the aircraft will roll viciously upside down. This puts the pilot ‘between a rock and a hard place’: either ‘stick with the aircraft and burn as you crash’ or ‘use the rocket powered ejection seat to hammer you headfirst into the ground’. Normally there is no escape possible!

13. My superb Royal Navy Sea Harrier Squadron trials team pilots were so well tutored on the vices of the Harrier by the RAF HCU that during our first three years of trials and operations with this “difficult” aircraft, we had no accidents and achieved the best flight safety record of any jet aircraft entering service ever in the UK. And so I am eternally grateful to them....”

Rhino power
27th Apr 2013, 21:30
:eek:

My superb Royal Navy Sea Harrier Squadron trials team pilots were so well tutored on the vices of the Harrier by the RAF HCU that during our first three years of trials and operations with this “difficult” aircraft, we had no accidents and achieved the best flight safety record of any jet aircraft entering service ever in the UK. And so I am eternally grateful to them....”

Sharkey giving credit to the RAF!!!! Ye gods and little fishes, whatever next?!

-RP

Courtney Mil
27th Apr 2013, 22:45
Rhino, utter rubbish. You made that up. Ha!!!

As for the weather vane, it only goes to show how things moved on. In the F4, we had a piece of string. It was called the yaw string, but no one ever told me why. Disappointed that there was no such thing in the F-15 or the F-3. :*

Pontius
28th Apr 2013, 01:22
It was called the yaw string, but no one ever told me why.

That's why they gave you a n...n...n....navigator :)

DITYIWAHP
28th Apr 2013, 02:34
Orca / Stuff,

The pedal shakers activated when the slip ball in the HUD touched the outside vertical limit lines (at 0.06 lateral g, if memory serves, driven by the INS). Asymmetric stores/fuel could cause it to lie, so the vane was always the 'master'. It took me well over a year before I had the spare capacity to see the vane during vstol....

BEagle
28th Apr 2013, 06:49
In the F4, we had a piece of string. It was called the yaw string...

We did?

I don't recall such a thing - where was it fitted?

Rhino power
28th Apr 2013, 08:56
Bottom of the windscreen, dead centre, i have some pictures from the last public photocall at RAF Wattisham, its visible on some of the assembled F-4s

-RP

strake
28th Apr 2013, 09:20
India Fuggin Twit... Love it :D

You tell 'em, Gunny!

"Oo-ah" etc...

Just This Once...
28th Apr 2013, 10:16
I remember the F-4 yaw string was fitted further forward then the bottom of the screen. In the early days there was a reference line marked underneath it too, which was odd as you had to be a wingman to see it. I don't even remember it being a requirement before flight so perhaps it drifted out of use.

The F-14 yaw string was a no-go item if it was below a set length:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4025/4415851580_3a7b499df7.jpg

BEagle
28th Apr 2013, 10:25
Well, having hunted around the Web, I've found photos of a 56(F) Sqn F-4 fitted with a yaw string, but not as shown in the previous photo. It seems to have been fitted at the base of the windscreen support, as Rp stated.

But I don't recall ever having seen one, let alone used it. How it was supposed to remain attached at supersonic speeds and cope with English rain, I cannot imagine.

I remember the 'danglometer', a little yaw string with a dayglo cone on the end on some glider though!

Just This Once...
28th Apr 2013, 10:28
BEags, for clarity the pic above is an F-14 where the string was deemed essential. Not sure it was the same for the F-4 but my memory is rubbish!

Rhino power
28th Apr 2013, 11:04
Here are a couple of low-res scans of the pics I took at Wattisham, you can see the 'yaw string' and its attachment point just below the base of the windscreen...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/8688888152_6b7cf82a07_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/8688888132_f2dcef8829_b.jpg

-RP

Just This Once...
28th Apr 2013, 11:55
Confirms my rubbish memory - good pics!

:ok:

Courtney Mil
28th Apr 2013, 12:08
The F-4 yaw strings frayed, obviously, and generally fell off after time. We only used to renew them when we went off to APC to get the best out of the gun - especially as the gunsight was't really optimized for a 180 kt target. We'd use it to trim the yaw at the appropriate angle of bank proir to shooting and, thereafter ignored it.