PDA

View Full Version : Why athletes can't have proper jobs

Lightning Mate
24th Apr 2013, 15:45
1. Chicago Cubs outfielder AndreDawson on being a role model:
“I wan’ all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan’ all the kids tocopulate me.”

2. New Orleans Saint RBGeorge Rogers when asked about theupcoming season:
“I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first..”

3. And, upon hearing JoeJacobi of the ‘Skin’s say:
“I’d run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl,”
Matt Millen of the Raiders said: “To win, I’d run over Joe’s Mom, too.”

4. Torrin Polk,University of Houston receiver, onhis coach, John Jenkins:
“He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings..”

5. Football commentatorand former player Joe Theismann:
“Nobody in football should be calleda genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”

6. Senior basketballplayer at the University of Pittsburgh :
“I’m going to graduate on time, nomatter how long it takes..”

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:
“You guys line up alphabetically byheight..”
And, “You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle.”

8. Boxing promoter DanDuva on Mike Tyson going to prison:
“Why would anyone expect him to comeout smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton ..”

9. Stu Grimson, ChicagoBlackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above hislocker:

“That’sso when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes.”

10. Lou Duva, veteranboxing trainer, on the Spartan trainingregimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota:
“He’s a guy who gets up at six o’clock in the morning,regardless of what time it is.”

11. Chuck Nevitt , NorthCarolina State basketball player,explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice:
“My sister’s expecting a baby, and I don’t know if I’m going to be an uncle oran aunt. (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

12. Frank Layden , UtahJazz president, on a former player:
“I asked him, ‘Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?’
He said, ‘Coach, I don’t know and I don’t care.’”

13. Shelby Metcalf,basketball coach at Texas A&M,recounting what he told a player who received four F’s and one D:
“Son, looks to me like you’re spending too much time on one subject.”

14. In the words of NCState great Charles Shackelford:
“I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious.”

15. Former Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes hiswife on all the road trips,
Phillips responded: “Because she’s too ugly to kiss good-bye.”

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Apr 2013, 15:50
How many college athletes does it take to change a lightbulb?

All of them! and they all get a semester's credit for it!

Erwin Schroedinger
24th Apr 2013, 16:07
I wan’ all the kids tocopulate me.”
And we thought Jimmy Saville was wierd.

rgbrock1
24th Apr 2013, 16:19
The sad part of all of this is that all the players mentioned are college graduates. Because a mind is a terrible thing.

SpringHeeledJack
24th Apr 2013, 17:10
Whilst the examples are funny (from a distance), we all say daft things, it's just that we're not quote worthy. In my experience US college and then professional sportsmen aren't chosen for anything other than their incredible abilities such as strength, speed, coordination and so on. However, I'm sure there are enough erudite athletes in the pack.

SHJ

obgraham
25th Apr 2013, 04:27
Now hockey players are a different bunch. Watch their interviews. Most all (except the Russkies!) can speak clearly. They are willing to talk to the sportscasters at any time. They don't, however, actually say anything or offer any original insight into how they think.

Sounds like a great setup for a career in politics.

ExRAFRadar
25th Apr 2013, 05:47
You need to watch the average football post game interview here in the UK.

I watch it just to see if anyone ever says anything enlightening.

"Yeah we were unlucky in the 1st half, then scored in the last minute"

I know, I watched the game.

"You have to take your chances, and we just did not do that today"

I know, I watched the game.

No wonder the interviewers have a tendency to try and be controversial.

rgbrock1
25th Apr 2013, 12:17
I recall an media interview with some rookie National Football League (U.S.) player several years ago. The interviewer asked the player something along the lines of how he felt playing in the NFL. The answer? "If it wasn't for football I wouldn't be playing football today."

Thank you, Mr. Einstein. Next?

Alloa Akbar
25th Apr 2013, 12:35
ExRAF - You must have caught a rather eloquent footballer.. usually it's "errr well, y'know.. errr"

MagnusP
25th Apr 2013, 13:12
Some of them are pretty sharp.

Peter Crouch, a 6'7" gangly England player was asked "What would you be if you weren't a professional football player?". "Single", he answered.

muppetofthenorth
25th Apr 2013, 13:51
Some of them are pretty sharp.

Peter Crouch, a 6'7" gangly England player was asked "What would you be if you weren't a professional football player?". "Single", he answered.

The real answer was better than that, Magnus.

"What would you be if you weren't a footballer?"

'A virgin.'

Evanelpus
25th Apr 2013, 13:52
The sad part of all of this is that all the players mentioned are college graduates. Because a mind is a terrible thing.

How do you think they got to go to the college's that they did?

It certainly wasn't for any academic reasons that's for sure. I've followed a few American sports over the years and it's never ceased to amaze me at just how thick most of these guys sound if they get interviewed, Bless, some of them would do well to remember where they were in the world, let alone hold a meaningful conversation.

But hey, they all know they got to go to college for their ability to kick, strike, throw or dunk. Good luck to them:ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Apr 2013, 13:59
OTOH, many of the current generation's top women athletes were only able to continue playing sport by getting to Uni on academic merit. Cast your eyes down a national soccer/hockey/rugby teamsheet and many of them have degrees, some have PhDs.

Evanelpus
25th Apr 2013, 14:06
OTOH, many of the current generation's top women athletes were only able to continue playing sport by getting to Uni on academic merit. Cast your eyes down a national soccer/hockey/rugby teamsheet and many of them have degrees, some have PhDs.

I would really like this to be the case, maybe my bad luck to just see the dumb :mad:'s being interviewed.

MagnusP
25th Apr 2013, 14:24
Thanks, muppet, I stand corrected. :ok:

flash8
25th Apr 2013, 18:11
15. Former Houston Oilers coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips,
Phillips responded: “Because she’s too ugly to kiss good-bye.”

Heck, what is wrong with that! Great quote!