PDA

View Full Version : Lord Stirrup made a Knight of the Garter

FATTER GATOR
23rd Apr 2013, 13:27
BBC News - Lord Stirrup made Knight of the Garter by the Queen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22257870)

Just seen this on the BBC website. I had no idea he was so well regarded by The Queen!

Courtney Mil
23rd Apr 2013, 13:49
I guess he must be. The Order is very much her club. I went to the Garter Day Parade at Windsor Castle last year, as an aside. Wonderful occassion.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Apr 2013, 14:27
Didn't he do well?

for a Harrier pilot oh well, I tried. Who was the Harrier CO not involved with the incident in northern Norway, or was it Jaguar sqn?

Biggus
23rd Apr 2013, 14:34
PN,

....thought he was Jags, then Staish of a Tonka base!!

Alber Ratman
23rd Apr 2013, 14:44
Jag mates rule... Got a commendation from Lord Stirrup when he was AOC 1 Group. Station Commander at the time was Sir Stephen. My part in their rise!:E

Megaton
23rd Apr 2013, 16:07
He was indeed Stn Cdr of Marham during the first Gulf War. And a more uncharismatic leader you couldn't hope to find especially after taking over from David Henderson.

langleybaston
23rd Apr 2013, 16:21
Garter?

What about a

Jock St r p ?

[nothing against the noble Lord, just that a quip came along]

teeteringhead
23rd Apr 2013, 16:34
And his first operational tour was on Strikemasters! ;) No Harrier mate he.

Assuming you don't count Flt Lt Wales or his Great Grandfather (Colin Firth!), I make that only the third airman ever to become a Garter Knight, after Lord Portal (WW2 CAS) and Sam Elworthy (CAS/CDS in the 1960s).

Well done Sir! :ok:

langleybaston
23rd Apr 2013, 17:05
Air Commodore Winston Churchill

SNAP

newt
23rd Apr 2013, 17:37
Well done Jock! I suppose I will not be able to tell any stories about the time I did the winter survival course with him!!:ok:

cuefaye
23rd Apr 2013, 18:41
newt,

I agree - well done Jock, and his lovely wife.

cuefaye
23rd Apr 2013, 18:45
And a more uncharismatic leader you couldn't hope to find especially after
taking over from David Henderson.

Different characters Ham. Both good at the job.

BEagle
23rd Apr 2013, 19:03
Senior Flight Cadet Stirrup has obviously come a long way since I knew him at RAFC in 1969....

Well done - a thoroughly nice bloke :ok:

Hendo was a bit affected though....:rolleyes:

skua
23rd Apr 2013, 20:29
Langley

Bit of a reach to call Winston an airman: almost 140 lessons without going solo!

Union Jack
23rd Apr 2013, 21:53
I make that only the third airman ever to become a Garter Knight, after Lord Portal (WW2 CAS) and Sam Elworthy - Teeters

Depending on your definition of an airman, or indeed aviator, that's perhaps a little hard on HRH The Duke of York.:)

Jack

langleybaston
24th Apr 2013, 08:42
Winston had wings on his tunic, good enough for me as a mere MetMan!

teeteringhead
24th Apr 2013, 09:32
langley WSC's "Wings" were sort of Honorary - a special meeting of the Air Force Board allowed them to be worn - the only other individual so honoured was Geo V.

UJ I wasn't consciously being unfair to Prince Andrew - by "airman" I meant proper member of the RAF - which the previous D of Y was and the D of C is. If you include random Hon Air Cdres then there are of course more Royals which one could include.

And I would of course include P Andrew as an "aviator" - but I used "airman" generically, as opposed to "sailor" or "soldier".

SOSL
24th Apr 2013, 11:43
Good for him.

He gave me a lift back to Cranditz, one Saturday night, from Bishop Big Balls.

(I had stayed too late in the first year block and the 98 entry matey who had a car got fed up and went back without me.)

He didn't say much on the way back which was fine because I was re-running the evenings activities in my mind.

Rgds SOS

wilnot
24th Apr 2013, 13:18
Would have thought he'd have been made a Knight of the Thistle - isn't he Scottish? Or does 'Jock' imply something else?

There was one Air Force KT - Neil Cameron, he was definitely a Scot

teeteringhead
25th Apr 2013, 07:36
Think he was a "Home Counties" man - as to "Jock" might post No 7 hold a clue.

Any idea BEags - you knew him before most of us.

MrBernoulli
25th Apr 2013, 08:40
Having been at RAF Marham when Jock was Staish, and having even flown with him in a Victor K2, I always thought the 'Jock' part of his name came about because of his surname. Stirrup was likely corrupted, by his mates, to 'Strap', hence him being given the first name 'Jock'? The kind of nickname some folk seem to inherit from their buddies in training or on the squadrons? Merely a guess ....

Union Jack
25th Apr 2013, 14:28
I wasn't consciously being unfair to Prince Andrew - Teeters

And I wasn't consciously suggesting you were, I must confess - merely a little dark blue fun. :ok: Incidentally, speaking of the previous D of K, has anyone ever discovered the basis on which Prince Michael of Kent wears Tri-Service wings?

I always thought the 'Jock' part of his name came about because of his surname. Stirrup was likely corrupted, by his mates, to 'Strap', hence him being given the first name 'Jock'?- Mr Bernoulli

How uplifting!:)

Jack

Fg Off Bloggs
25th Apr 2013, 14:56
He is not a Jock. Mr B has it in one!

Bloggs

teeteringhead
25th Apr 2013, 15:05
There was one Air Force KT - Neil Cameron, he was definitely a Scot ... more than one methinks wilnot, I can offer you another.

I give you Group Captain George "Geordie" Nigel Douglas-Hamilton, 10th Earl of Selkirk KT, GCMG, GBE, AFC, AE, PC, QC (Scot.) whose details are here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Douglas-Hamilton,_10th_Earl_of_Selkirk)

He commanded No 603 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn RAuxAF from 1934-38 (flying Hawker Harts) and was then an Int Officer in WW2.

A shifty looking character nonetheless

http://kittydh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/pes_638277.jpg?w=640