PDA

View Full Version : Happy Saint Georges Day

Windy Militant
23rd Apr 2013, 12:51
As all the Sais are too stuffy/embarrassed/twp! to say it, Happy Saint Georges Day ;)

DX Wombat
23rd Apr 2013, 13:12
And also to you too WM. We mustn't forget William Shakespeare whose birthday it is today. ;)

OFSO
23rd Apr 2013, 16:02
Yea, FeliÁ St Jordi from Catalunia. Tradition here is to give a rose and a book to one's loved one.....

Tankertrashnav
23rd Apr 2013, 17:09
toffeez - I'm with you on this. It seems to hit the right note that we English are pretty vague about our national day. I think even the Irish get a bit embarrassed about all the fuss about St Patrick's Day, which in any case is bigger in the USA than in Ireland.

I was in Moscow once on Pushkin's birthday and his statue was surrounded by flowers brought by people who came along to recite his poetry and chat - can't quite see a similar thing happening here, but I'm ok with that too.

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2013, 17:17
Some claim today as Shakespeare's birthday, but the truth is that nobody knows.

moosp
23rd Apr 2013, 17:28
Used to go to Stratford upon Avon on the 23rd to see all the flags out when I was a kid, as it is my birthday too so I always got a kick out of it.

Well we don't even know which St George it was either but never mind, any reason to celebrate something is a good thing these days.

Just had a bottle of bubbly as a sun downer and watched the Africa sun set over the Western Cape. Priceless.

toffeez
23rd Apr 2013, 21:14
Was that the Western Cape of Lantau Island? Anyway, both are really good places to be on a special day ...

Cheers !

toffeez
23rd Apr 2013, 21:25
OFSO, that's not how one spells bonk.