PDA

View Full Version : This greedy fat killer should serve his sentence in an Iraqi jail.

AlpineSkier
23rd Apr 2013, 12:31
Somerset businessman found guilty of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/23/somerset-business-guilty-fake-bombs)

In my opinion, nothing but nothing is too bad for this shit. I have never read of a worse incidence of someone making money of innocent deaths ( except maybe the complicit Iraqi generals )

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2013, 12:40
Alpine:

Just as you wrote: a piece of human excrement.

pgarner528
23rd Apr 2013, 13:33
Not defending him at all, but how could anyone with half a brain believe the claims made for the devices ?

2 phrases spring to mind:
Caveat Emptor
A fool and his money are soon parted.

AlpineSkier
23rd Apr 2013, 13:57
pgarner

The responsible people didn't believe the claims, they believed the money landing in their bank-accounts. The poor sods in the chain below presumably knew that dissent was probably death or imprisonment to protect the generals' income.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
23rd Apr 2013, 14:05
Perhaps we could encourage his extradition to Iraq to stand trial there....

Iraq executions 'like a slaughterhouse': UN official (http://news.msn.com/world/iraq-executions-like-a-slaughterhouse-un-official)

pgarner528
23rd Apr 2013, 14:14
AlpineSkier - He sold these things to Kenya, Hong Kong, Egypt, Thailand, Jordan, Bahrain, Syria, Mexico, Lebanon, Belgium and the UN according to various reports I have seen.

Are you saying that in each case he successfully managed to bribe the relevant officials ?

500N
23rd Apr 2013, 14:14
Agree. What a low life.

Can't believe this case is still going on.

Lightning Mate
23rd Apr 2013, 14:25
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/McCormick_zps02126d14.jpg

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2013, 14:26
The one aspect of this scam I don't understand is why none of the buyers or end-users tested the damn thing before accepting it. From reading the linked report it seems some of these fraud devices didn't even have a power supply. Well a short test would have shown that for what it was.

AlpineSkier
23rd Apr 2013, 15:31
pgarner

He sold these things to Kenya, Hong Kong, Egypt, Thailand, Jordan, Bahrain, Syria, Mexico, Lebanon, Belgium and the UN according to various reports I have seen.

Can you source reports for the highlighed countries/organisations ?

pgarner528
23rd Apr 2013, 15:52
AlpineSkier - Telegraph link, 2nd paragraph:
Businessman found guilty of selling fake bomb detectors to governments - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10013022/Businessman-found-guilty-of-selling-fake-bomb-detectors-to-governments.html)

Not trying to get into an argument with you.

hellsbrink
23rd Apr 2013, 16:40
Dunno about Belgium, but your own Gauridan link tells us that the UN in Lebanon bought the "magic wands".........

McCormick, who faces up to eight years in jail when he is sentenced next month, also sold the detectors to Niger, Syria, Mexico and other countries including Lebanon where a United Nations agency was a client.

PukinDog
23rd Apr 2013, 16:52
There's a special place in hell reserved for guys like that. Someone should send him there.

hellsbrink
23rd Apr 2013, 16:55
No no no no. He's not getting to go to Hell, I'm not having my afterlife ruined by scum like him.

Send him to Heaven to live for eternity with the Mormons, that's a fate far worse than Hell......

AlpineSkier
23rd Apr 2013, 16:56
hb

I saw that but don't think a report about an unidentified client agency of the UN tells anybody anything.

Checkboard
23rd Apr 2013, 17:13
The court heard the devices had been marketed at international trade fairs that were backed by UK government departments.

It shows the woeful scientific training and knowledge you find in governments today. Silly Oxford PPE graduates - and you end up with a bunch of numpties who believe in spirits, dowsing, Homoeopathy and astrology. :ugh:

hellsbrink
23rd Apr 2013, 17:32
No, AS, it wasn't a "client agency of the UN", it was a UN agency in Lebanon that was a client of the conman.

There is a big difference between the two, your version says that the agency was a client of the UN whereas the report states that the agency was actually a part of the UN as it clearly states it was a "United Nations agency".

AlpineSkier
23rd Apr 2013, 17:40
that were backed by UK government departments.
It shows the woeful scientific training and knowledge you find in governments today

Checkers

I believe that your post and , maybe , the newspaper comment reveal a lack of knowledge about trade fairs.

At a trade fair the BOTB ( British Overseas Trade Board or maybe a more focussed organisation like the Machine Tools Trade Association) books a block of 10,000 m2 and then anybody who can concievably show some presence on British soil can book space. The only check will be a clerk reserving space against the receipt of a cheque. There is no check whatsoever about what the company and/or its products do/claim to do.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
23rd Apr 2013, 17:49
Given the damage this will probably do to BOTB fairs, perhaps there should be...

PukinDog
23rd Apr 2013, 18:00
hellsbrink
No no no no. He's not getting to go to Hell, I'm not having my afterlife ruined by scum like him.
I said a "special place" in hell, not the good parts where the rest of us will hang out.

Checkboard
23rd Apr 2013, 18:02
I understood it wasn't an endorsement, I was actually vaguely referring to the buyers - while having a dig at the UK pollies,

SpecialGray
23rd Apr 2013, 18:43
Should be locked in a room full of ticking replica bombs with his machine..

..and one live one, of course.

What a :mad:

AtomKraft
23rd Apr 2013, 19:51
You can't bribe someone, unless someone is willing to be bribed.

Folk shouldn't buy stuff that they haven't tested or looked at jolly carefully- especially if they intend their own folk to use it to check for bombs, of all things.

This guy is a crook plain and simple.

As is every single guy or agency who bought from him.

They should be sharing a cell.....

tony draper
23rd Apr 2013, 20:02
Did I mishear or did the news state they cost 35k each? if that is true that is probably how he got the con to work,if they were a fiver a unit people would have said this is a piece of rubbish, pay 35k for it they would say this cant be a piece of rubbish my dept just paid 35k for it.
The Kings suit of clothes and all that.
:uhoh:

Fliegenmong
23rd Apr 2013, 21:14
Free market enterprise.....no morals or ethics, an unconscionable act, but a free market enterprise....I think Drapes is correct, at 35k, people probably thought they were good, but surely more than once someone must have asked exactly how they worked??? And how was that answered?

G-CPTN
23rd Apr 2013, 21:33
how was that answered?In the manner of a conjurer, he claimed that the secret was embedded in the cards that were used to select what the detector indicated.

In truth, the cards contained nothing more than the security tags used by department stores to detect shoplifting.

racedo
23rd Apr 2013, 21:39
So he sold stuff abroad with a military or quasi military application for millions which doesn't work............................FFS That is hardly a crime.

If that was a crime major sections of UK Armaments industry and HM Govt who sponsor them would have gone to jail years ago.

Msunduzi
24th Apr 2013, 03:50
I agree with previous posts, how could anyone believe it, and why did nobody test it?

(and while we are talking about useful devices, I have a device guaranteed to bring riches from the lottery. Only $15000 sent to me by Wiston Onion. Delivery between 50-90 days, shipped from China)

Krystal n chips
24th Apr 2013, 03:55
The Canadians asked one little question it seems...the one an awful lot of other people should have asked.

The 'magic' bomb detector that endangered lives all over the world | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/23/magic-bomb-detector-lives-risk)

hellsbrink
24th Apr 2013, 04:02
Or, of course, the question that should have been asked was the one that should have followed the decision that these devices did not breach any UK export ban as they didn't contain any electronics whatsoever after a shipment was examined before it left the UK. That's a moment questions should have been asked.

K&C's report does bring up one thing of interest, however. It seems they reckon he stashed his cash in Cyprus so the UK taxman couldn't get it. There's an obvious one there about how he''ll now know what it feels like to be ripped off and robbed, but I won't say it.....

G-CPTN
24th Apr 2013, 12:47
BBC iPlayer - Newsnight: 23/04/2013 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s5bkj/Newsnight_23_04_2013/)

cldrvr
2nd May 2013, 16:33
Sentenced to 10 years, guess he will walk in about 5 with plenty of money squirreled away abroad.

funfly
2nd May 2013, 17:11
Man claiming to have machine that found weapons of mass destruction, despite many other people finding this suspect he continued to maintain the truth that he had this evidence. Now it all has been proved to be a fake and many people were killed as a result of his deceit. Said man now enjoying a life as multi millionaire consultant on peace.

:ugh:

cargosales
2nd May 2013, 17:32
Man claiming to have machine that found weapons of mass destruction, despite many other people finding this suspect he continued to maintain the truth that he had this evidence. Now it all has been proved to be a fake and many people were killed as a result of his deceit. Said man now enjoying a life as multi millionaire consultant on peace.

:ugh:

Not exactly ...

Said man is hopefully now 'enjoying' life as Bubba's cellbitch for the next few years :E

And even that's too good for him, the utter barsteward that he is :yuk:

With luck the 'proceeds of crime' unit will track down and seize all of his ill-gotten millions so when he gets out of Bubba's clutches he cannot profit one iota from his disgusting scheme.

CS

uffington sb
2nd May 2013, 17:37
Cargo sales. I think fun fly is referring to Tony Blair.

cargosales
2nd May 2013, 17:58
Cargo sales. I think fun fly is referring to Tony Blair.

Doh .. yes, you're quite right. That'll teach me to read things too quickly and reply in haste.

Apologies Funfly

CS

Lonewolf_50
2nd May 2013, 18:11
A few years ago, a fella tried to sell to the US Navy a bomb detecting remote device that appears to have been founded in dowsing as its tech. No sale, as far as I can recall.

Is this the same guy, or a different guy?

crippen
2nd May 2013, 18:14
AlpineSkier - He sold these things to Kenya, Hong Kong, Egypt, Thailand, Jordan, Bahrain, Syria, Mexico, Lebanon, Belgium and the UN according to various reports I have seen.

Are you saying that in each case he successfully managed to bribe the relevant officials ?

Surely you are aware that in (most of) the above countries,it is impossible to trade (or live) at all without bribes to various officials???

pm me if you want personal details.

KAG
2nd May 2013, 18:43
McCormick sold 7,000 fake bomb detectors based on useless golf ball finders

ALRIGHT! I understand everything now!

The Iraq WMD were actually Golf balls, and because France didn't want this fake bomb detector (why?) it didn't see any WMD in Iraq!

US and UK secret services based their report on the real Golf Ball Finder outstanding efficiency and identified all the golf places in Iraq. They were actually not lying, they were only stupid (what a relief!).

What a big misunderstanding for nothing! ;)

Ease a bit, relax! The Postman is only (not) kidding!

flash8
2nd May 2013, 19:18
This highlights one concern - and really demonstrates how endemic corruption really is, especially in dodgy countries.

Of course everybody knew they were fake FFS... but as long as the dosh rolled in a blind eye was turned.

Seen it in many countries, and even whilst working for the Government been on the periphery of it in South East Asia when tendering and choosing 'suppliers'.

One learns never to raise ones head above the parapet in such matters as the only casualty is oneself. Sad, but from much experience, so true.

I did once know a guy who highlighted a dodgy supplier in Kazakhstan and suddenly, hey presto! he was given a new assignment working on "Hurricane Katrina Relief".

Andu
2nd May 2013, 22:11
After more than 110,000 deaths and trillions spent on weapons and logistics to maintain an illegal war started over lies about non-existent weapons, one guy gets caught out selling bullshit for chump change.... hard not to see the irony in the sudden outrage here. I can't imagine your Iraqi on the street being too concerned over it.There's some merit in those emotions. Anyone 'of a certain age' who served in the US military will remember the introduction of the M16 to service in the middle of the Vietnam War.

The senior management of Colt, (to say nothing of the senior military officers and civilians at the Pentagon who backed its introduction), were directly responsible for the deaths of countless US soldiers. The weapon - (until major, and I mean MAJOR, modifications were made to it) - was a dog. Those who sent men into the field armed with it - and persisted, even after many reports of its shortcomings - should have been gaoled/jailed for life, if not put against a wall and shot (not with M16s, for they probably would have survived that).

tony draper
2nd May 2013, 22:55
He should have claimed his kit worked like water divining rods,he would have had half a million New Earthers leaping to his defense.
:uhoh:

Paraffin Budgie
5th May 2013, 11:21
The guard on the entrance gate of the Movenpick Hotel next to Bahrain Airport used to have one of these things.

I could never work out how he could point what looked like a car radio antenna at me and determine if I had anything explosive concealed about my car.

He was convinced that it worked......

G-CPTN
5th May 2013, 12:15
But it did work as it didn't detect any explosives on you or your vehicle.

Explain (if you can) how dowsing works? I have seen it working positively (detecting previously unknown buried walls), yet, as a scientist (engineer), I can see no way that bent coat-hangers can possibly work.

Checkboard
5th May 2013, 13:48
Dowsing DOESN'T work. :hmm:

James Randi Speaks: Dowsing, the Ideomotor Effect - YouTube

G-CPTN
5th May 2013, 16:31
Dowsing DOESN'T work.
:confused:

My earlier post (http://www.pprune.org/5462800-post3.html).

cockney steve
5th May 2013, 17:49
YES! IT WORKS.
NO, I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY.

As a total skeptic ,I laughed at a small builder who was off to meet the "Dowser" to locate springs or drains in a field....We wound -up bending 2 welding-rods (the copper-covered ones about a metre long) at right-angles about a third-way along....held loosely in lightly-clenched fists, like wild-west sixguns....upon passing over buried pipework, they swung together and crossed-over.

when I tried it myself, I deliberately leaned the tops of the uprights forward and outward.....the drooping "horizontals" actually swung UPHILL in order to cross....as I neared a buried object they'd move the movement was proportional to how near....directly over, they'd cross.

The experiment was repeatable and it opened my mind to the possibility of ghosts and forces which we don't understand and lump into "paranormal"....defies all engineering wisdom, logic and science.....but it works!

radeng
5th May 2013, 23:09
A friend who has had a fair amount of successful dowsing experience moved to Oz...Dowsing for a well there proved a total disaster!

I figure this guy for a total ass*ole, but his customers for even bigger dick he*ds.

Load Toad
6th May 2013, 05:29
Said man is hopefully now 'enjoying' life as Bubba's cellbitch for the next few years

Yeah because every aggressive homosexual in prison targets fat old men.

It might be your fantasy but not everyone in prison ends up as a bitch for a rapist.

On JB the idea of having forced gay sex in a prison is something that is mentioned a little too often to be natural.

How did he get away with selling this crap - er - by paying off millions to the corrupt buyers (who are most often politically well connected). Simple really innit.

jamesdevice
6th May 2013, 18:03
"the idea of having forced gay sex in a prison is something that is mentioned a little too often to be natural"

Well, surely thats the point. It isn't natural....

SASless
6th May 2013, 18:07
But....it is part of Life in the Joint!

Unless you want a bunghole the size of a Winnebago....you best be the toughest Con in the place!