PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong to Macau express link.

esa-aardvark
23rd Apr 2013, 03:10
Anyone know about this service? We go to Hong Kong for a week and then want to move on to Chang Mai by air from Macau.
Apparently (with a ticket) it is possible to check in at the ferry
terminal in Hong Kong, get rid of luggage, and then go to Macau (avoiding Macau immigration) The website does not seem to give journey time information.
Many thanks, John

driblegin
23rd Apr 2013, 13:59
Very easy.
After disembarking, do not enter Hong Kong but go instead to the Macau Ferry ticket desk.
Buy a ticket to Macau and hand over your luggage labels. The ferry company collects your luggage for you.
The ferry journey takes about an hour, on arrival in Macau, complete Macau immigration, collect your luggage and complete customs and enter Macau.
Many hotels run buses to pick up passengers at the ferry terminal.
Beware if you return to HKG from Macau then you can only do this directly with some airlines. Most airlines you have to go to HK Central by ferry, enter HK then travel to the airport. About 90 minutes.

Anansis
23rd Apr 2013, 22:50
Very easy.
After disembarking, do not enter Hong Kong but go instead to the Macau Ferry ticket desk.
Buy a ticket to Macau and hand over your luggage labels. The ferry company collects your luggage for you.
The ferry journey takes about an hour, on arrival in Macau, complete Macau immigration, collect your luggage and complete customs and enter Macau.
Many hotels run buses to pick up passengers at the ferry terminal.
Beware if you return to HKG from Macau then you can only do this directly with some airlines. Most airlines you have to go to HK Central by ferry, enter HK then travel to the airport. About 90 minutes.

This is a way of transiting straight to Macau from a flight which arrives at HKG without passing through Hong Kong customs (very convenient if Macau is your final destination). The only things I'd add are (i) you have to leave Hong Kong airport on the same day which you arrive, (ii) you have to arrive at the ferry check-in desk (just before immigration) at least an hour before the scheduled departure time of the ferry, and (iii) the final sailing of the day is (currently) scheduled to depart at 22.00 (i.e. it is not an option if your flight arrives late in the evening).

I think the OP was asking about a ferry linking Hong Kong city directly to Macau airport. I know such a link exists, but its not quite as straightforward. There is information on the website, but it's not easy to find:

TurboJET (http://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/airport-ferry-services/upstream-check-in-services.aspx)

Might be worth emailing Turbojet directly if you have a specific question - I've always found them to be pretty helpful in the past.

Edit: With regards to minimum check-in times, the website is silent. However, if you try a dummy booking the system should tell you if a specific connection is do-able. For guidance, if you sail from Macau to connect with a flight departing HKG, you have to arrive at the airport at least three hours before your scheduled departure time.

OverRun
25th Apr 2013, 11:14
Done it many times. This is the easiest way to Macau from many countries. A couple of tips. Don't bring duty free because that gets caught at the security checks. Going to Macau, get off the ferry quickly because the migration queue can form rapidly. Don't be alarmed as the HK terminal pathway to/from the ferry takes you down some odd and quiet corners. Finally don't bother sightseeing - the pollution can make the visibility like peering through mud.

ExXB
25th Apr 2013, 14:29
I think Mr. Aardvark is looking to do the opposite. i.e. Ferry from HKG landslide to Macau Airport airside, avoiding Macau C&I.

If so I recommend the Macau Airport site (http://www.macau-airport.com/en/transportation/express-link-service). Click on 'Sea to Air" which covers a ferry from Hong Kong Ferry Terminal (not HKG airport) to Macau Airport.

Edited to add. The journey involves bus/coach on the Macau side. From the website:

1 Passenger arrived the “Express Link Check-in Counter” Iocated at Shop G02,Shun Tak Center of Hong Kong Ferry Terminal.

2 The passengers need to show the valid air ticket with the same day flight, a temporary boarding pass is given to the passengers;our professional team will deliver your check-in baggage directly to Macau International Airport and on to your final destination.

3 Once passengers arrived the Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal,the passengers should follow the directional sign of "Express Link" Service to the waiting area.

4 No immigration and customs procedures are required for the "Express Link" Sea to Air passenger at Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal.

5 Passengers board the bus directly to the Express Link Central Facility at Macau International Airport, through the security check and then process to the departure hall. At the same time, redeem your official boarding pass from the "Express Link" information counter at the departure hall.

6 Note: "Sea-to-Air passengers" are those taking sea vessels from Hong Kong and arriving at the Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal, then continuing via the Macau International Airport to their final.

The Hong Kong Macau ferry service appears to operate ever 15 minutes (duration 55 minutes aprox) throughout the day, but the 'airside' connecting buses only appears to operate at 11:50; 15:00; 17:10 and 18:45.

esa-aardvark
29th Apr 2013, 09:07
Thanks to all who responded.
Mr ExXB has it correct.
If anyone is interested I'll report back how well it works.
John