PDA

View Full Version : The Cinnamon Challenge

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 16:49
In the latest installment of "The Fad of the Week" we have what is called 'The Cinnamon Challenge'. It seems to be quite popular with our brain-dead youth.

What the cinnamon challenge entails is to dare someone to ingest a teaspoon full of ground cinnamon without drinking water. (Oh, yum, yum. NOT.)

Although this little fad may seem harmless enough, it has led to many hospitalizations due to choking, throat irritation, breathing difficulties, collapsed lungs and even respiratory failure.

Message to youth: GET A LIFE.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Apr 2013, 16:52
They won't if it involves work, and/or celebrities don't do it.

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2013, 16:57
Sounds safer than this (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/condom-challenge).

Fester Karbunkle
22nd Apr 2013, 16:58
What's the point of being young if you can't do silly things?

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 17:02
Fester:

I did my share of "silly things" when a youth, of course.

None of which caused me to be carted off to the hospital.

I think it's a matter of moderation, no?

Dushan
22nd Apr 2013, 17:04
Did they add a "ingest cinnamon" button to Facebook? Seems the only way today's youth will do something is if it involves Facebook or twatter.

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 17:07
Dushan:

Good question. However, on F**kbook they should have an addition made to the "terms of usage": engaged brain not required upon entering site.

Dushan
22nd Apr 2013, 17:17
I thought "disengage required" would be more appropriate.

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 17:31
Yes, Dushan, that would be much more appropriate! :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Apr 2013, 17:39
Strangely enough there are those who swear by the taking of cinnamon in the control/eradication of various maladies. However, they probably would frown against taking it dry, or anything in that form. The yoof each have their own tests of bravery/bravado, but these days it's all about peacocking to the masses via the internet as an incendiary to said bravadoisms. :hmm:

SHJ

G-CPTN
22nd Apr 2013, 17:50
Where is the sense in this?

Condom Challenge: Teen Condom Snorting Trend Hits YouTube (VIDEOS) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/condom-challenge-snorting-condoms-videos_n_3085258.html)

sitigeltfel
22nd Apr 2013, 17:53
Ffffff---cannelle!

P6 Driver
22nd Apr 2013, 17:57
These "challenges" are just the Darwin Awards entrance exams. The problem is if you get it right, you'll never know...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Apr 2013, 17:58
Jazz - I don't recall hospitalizations as a result of attempting 3 cream crackers in a minute.
I think the point was about the cost of the stupidity.

Leaving aside the acts themselves, is it that the 'yoof' are now trying to impress the entire planet, courtesy of FaceAche, rather than just their immediate peer group? Maybe it's that the media now report it, whereas they never did in our day? Or are they more insecure, and thus prepared to do more ridiculously dangerous things? Or have they less sense about what actually is dangerous?

This could tell us a lot.

I was a cinnamon toast kid myself. One slice, for tea. How dull?!

OFSO
22nd Apr 2013, 18:18
I only gave up stair-jumping last year. Never broke an ankle either in 60 years of doing it !

Our station director at Fairbanks, Crazy Otto, had a trick he'd done from boyhood of standing on his head on a chair. He wasn't so lucky as me, fell off and broke his neck. Although being in Alaska he was put back together with screws and braces and soon right as rain again.

Rossian
22nd Apr 2013, 19:53
....I think the original challenge (18thC maybe) was, "I can sup a pint of port with a salt spoon before you can eat 6 cream crackers - dry". I wasn't actually there you understand....

The Ancient Mariner

toffeez
22nd Apr 2013, 19:58
"GET A LIFE" is the ultimate copied brainless phrase.

500N
22nd Apr 2013, 20:00
Who ever came up with that Condon Challenge has rocks for brains :ugh::ugh::ugh:

alisoncc
23rd Apr 2013, 04:59
Lot more fun trying to pack umpteen people into a mini.

Worrals in the wilds
23rd Apr 2013, 05:10
Lot more fun trying to pack umpteen people into a mini.
Or a lift (elevator)! :E
Eating kitchen cupboard foods went out of fashion when we turned six and got sophisticated. :}

Ancient Mariner
23rd Apr 2013, 05:40
Nothing new under the sun, did the Cinnamon Challenge 49 years ago. Actually one of the safer stunts we did, how one survived one's youth is not clear. Still up for a challenge and being kept on one's toes by SiL and grandchildren. Skied Mount Gaustablikk last Sunday on blue ice with two of them. Cramps in legs still painful. :hmm:
Per

MagnusP
23rd Apr 2013, 07:23
Lot more fun trying to pack umpteen people into a mini

. . . offering countless opportunities for a surreptitious grope, of course. :p

cattletruck
23rd Apr 2013, 12:58
Cinnamon challenge is nuthin, try 11 Weet-Bix's for breakfast (obviously a challenge before the days of feacesbook).

Rob Courtney
23rd Apr 2013, 13:48
I have a mate who ate a whole jar of curry powder for a dare, las I heard he was in a Korma:)

arcniz
23rd Apr 2013, 14:32
Cinnamom, of itself, is a very good thing. Seems to have marvelous effect on the body's metabolic dealings with sugars of various sorts -- something we Yuppolites constantly have in rather large proportion to what our original design specs intended.

Have been experimenting, as a sideline, mind ya, with its application to various needs and wants in the real world.

For a moderately safe & healthy shot of tonic that may change your days in a positive way, try combination something like this:

1-3 tbsp fine-ground cinnamon
dash of lemon-juice, if available
about an ounce of wine or brandy or cider, or a tbsp of vinegar
ounce or two or 5 of grapefruit juice

((one tends to have on hand the grapefruit juice and brandy already pre-combined -combo lasts very well sans fridge if overall alcohol percentage of the mix stays over 6 or 8 % -- or mebbe higher for very warm places.))

Only prep is to combine, stir, and consume, Your bod will tell you if it likes the recipe.

Re inhaling cinnamon -- One thinks the likely effect to be somewhere between tobacco and asbestos. The spice is very complex and reactive, chemically. C powder is not a purified or standardized compound, but just something that nature evolved for killing predatory bugs. Tiny woody particles of that, lodged in the tissues of the lungs and maybe sneaking into the bloodstream and thence to other organs intact as particles, might be a great help for consciousness raising, but more likely might lead to some very strange medical conditions 50 or 75 years from now.

If no LSD is handy, perhaps substitute nutmeg in the cocktail above - a very limited amount fer sure - to raise his standards for natural transportation to alternate frames and climes. (read about this before acting)

Suggest you tell sprog to make a note in his diary when he huffs Cin or anything else-- so that he can look back to find connection for causes and effects many decades hence. Might be a benefit by way of introducing him to health as a management concept... and recordkeeping as a way of keeping honest score.

Octopussy2
23rd Apr 2013, 14:41
Brilliant, Sitigeltfel quite brilliant :D

dazdaz1
23rd Apr 2013, 15:20
Years ago myself and brother had contests of eating lime pickle :(:yuk::oh: I've tried licking frogs for the 'buzz' worked sometimes if one could hold the little buggers still. I don't think they enjoyed a warm tongue lapping them.

Daz

ps. Far out, I'm sniffing black pudding now.

ExRAFRadar
23rd Apr 2013, 15:34
How about firing an airgun at deodorant cans indoors ? They really do spin rather nicely, assuming they don't blow up.
Oh, and 2 of my friends used to throw darts at each others bare feet.

dazdaz1
23rd Apr 2013, 15:48
ExRAF.......... Darts: Two of my friends (Julian and Sandy) did the darts thing with the lights out in the scout hut. Luckily for me no pricks.

Daz

ExRAFRadar
23rd Apr 2013, 16:48
Scout Hut and Pricks - three words you really don't want to see in the same sentence....