PDA

View Full Version : New World?

Hobo
21st Apr 2013, 20:51
many questions before I choose

Will they have Pprune there?

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2013, 20:54
Scientists are searching space for planets that might be suitable to support life (as we know it) in anticipation of a mass migration when Earth becomes blighted with whatever might herald the end for humans.
There are proposals for one-way flights to Mars (or, maybe, Europa), yet we are lead to believe that Mars has moved-on from being habitable, so why are we considering Mars? Would it not be better to choose an emerging new world instead of a dying one?

And what about animal life? What chance would humans have without animals? Even Noah saw the importance of that!

Of course, animals would need plant-life in order to survive (carnivores would feed off each other and spoil attempts at repopulation).

We need to establish what would be the minimum requirements for sustainability (we could reflect on colonisation of continents on Earth).

I don't think that biosphere existence in an otherwise inert atmosphere would be a long term reality.

Of course we could dream of vast jungles, but I don't think such environments are on offer.

I have seen vegetation 'sprayed' onto earthworks using a sort of liquidised material containing grass seed to provide rapid colonisation, but it would need soil with sufficient nutrients to sustain growth after the initial material was exhausted as well as moisture in some form on an ongoing basis.

What do others think?

Are we doomed to remain on Earth until the Apocalypse?

tony draper
21st Apr 2013, 20:59
It will only ever be a very small segment of the elite who ever get off world.
The stars are not for us,perhaps it was deliberately arranged that way.:rolleyes:

lomapaseo
21st Apr 2013, 21:01
Are we doomed to remain on Earth until the Apocalypse?

Will guns be legal in the new world ?

Will space flight be as safe as today's subsonic flight?

Will my days be 24 hours long?

Will missonary sex be possible in their gavity or do we have to be tethered?

Sallyann1234
21st Apr 2013, 21:20
Why look for a new world to inhabit when this one has been exhausted?
Wouldn't it be wiser to look after this one better and save it for continued use?

Hobo
21st Apr 2013, 21:31
Quote:

Will they have PPRuNe there?

We must be on the other world already - my post shot in at #1!!! - ahead of G-CPTN as OP....how do they do that....I do apologise Sir.

alisoncc
22nd Apr 2013, 04:38
Hobo you have to be much more careful when you step out of the Tardis. If G-CPTN hadn't posted at all where would you now be?

RAC/OPS
22nd Apr 2013, 06:46
And what about animal life?

The dolphins have got all that under control, and if they've got any sense, they won't tell us when and where they're going!

Nervous SLF
22nd Apr 2013, 07:48
Ooops I thought this thread was going to be about a certain NZ supermarket chain.:O

Erwin Schroedinger
22nd Apr 2013, 08:00
Will missonary sex be possible in their gavity or do we have to be tethered?

Before I decide, would tethering be anything like bondage?

toffeez
22nd Apr 2013, 17:00
Don't tell the locals that you're a missionary, or you'll be in the cooking pot.

p.s. can anyone tell me whether that's now a racist remark I can be locked up for?

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 17:05
toffeez:

Yes, that was a racist remark. Off with yer head. :}:}:}

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Apr 2013, 20:02
first find me a new world thats within travelling distance

Slasher
22nd Apr 2013, 21:25
Milo - try the Moon. Amazon Women live there - and horny-lookin' too!

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Apr 2013, 21:39
so you mean Armstrong was supposed to say "one giant jump....." but fluffed his lines?

Slasher
22nd Apr 2013, 21:54
No he was supposed to say "One small shag for Man, one giant hump..."

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Apr 2013, 06:11
Always found missionaries chewy and a little bland. As a result one tends to over season them before going in the pot. Not worth wasting the firewood, but they're OK if you've run out of virgins to lob in the volcano.

onetrack
23rd Apr 2013, 09:58
You gotta be careful out there, past the stratosphere. There's apparently a lot of very devious aliens just waiting to con us out of Earth. :)

Flight to Mars (1951) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043545/)

ExXB
23rd Apr 2013, 11:25
As the world's population is growing (I.e. net increase) by 200,00 per day, there is no way we could export even an infinitely small proportion of our population. I doubt if we could even slow the rate of growth by a measurable amount.

Being infertile almost guarantees that I won't be on a ship out off here, but I do (will) envy those that are.

tony draper
23rd Apr 2013, 11:37
Personally I think the nearest we will ever get to populating the universe will be to blast off probes containing our genetic information in the hope that some distant civilization will find one and be clever enough to recreate a few of us.
Of course we could just be bred as a new food crop for them.
"Get your Free range Humans here,they taste much better than factory farmed ones"
:uhoh:

Windy Militant
23rd Apr 2013, 12:58
It's all sorted, well It is for the reptilian elite, Princess Diana, Elvis, et Al
The Large Hadron Collider is actually a time machine which will whisk the Great and Beautiful people back several million years where they will build Atlantis and it will all start over again. Ever had that feeling of deja vue Rodney! :}

Checkboard
23rd Apr 2013, 13:07
in anticipation of a mass migration
Even if the Moon were habitable, there wouldn't be a "mass migration". Humans spread like disease ;) A few breeding pairs move across, and then breed up a new population - you don't move large numbers of people between planet :hmm: ;)

MagnusP
23rd Apr 2013, 13:27
Only feasible with extensive on-board supplies. Soylent Green, anyone?

toffeez
23rd Apr 2013, 21:40
Anyone who tries to contact aliens obviously doesn't understand the likely consequences, and should be locked up.

tony draper
23rd Apr 2013, 22:00
What would be the point of posing a question when the answer would take 20,000,000 years to reach your ear.
:uhoh:

Slasher
24th Apr 2013, 02:39
..Toffeez you're assuming aliens are territorial - which
might not be the case in a benign environment where
territoriality isn't a required instinct for survival. IMO
any advanced alien civilisations out there - if we ever
come in contact with them - will be completely and
utterly different from what we humans theorise and
what Hollywood ever imagined.