PDA

View Full Version : Silkair Singapore

bluefalcon
21st Apr 2013, 11:14
Good evening to all,
Could anyone post on the T&Cs for Silkair please.
Also a brief explanation on lifestyle, roster, and general atmosphere working there would be appreciated.
Thank you.

airplanedriver
21st Apr 2013, 14:35
Wasnt aware that they are hiring, any info on th current recruitment?

rotatejunkie
22nd Apr 2013, 01:44
Where from mate?
If you're not from SG/Malaysia, im afraid you are wasting your time.
You'd probably have better luck with Tiger or Jetstar.

bluefalcon
30th Apr 2013, 10:21
Hi shampers, great response, thanks for your email and time.

Iver
30th Apr 2013, 13:03
shampers,

Would it be beneficial to have a 737NG type rating now that Silkair is transitioning to that type?

Also, are Silkair pilots offered the opportunity to move to Scoot, Singapore or Singapore Cargo at some point when openings arise (speaking more generally as opposed to expats who get hired by Silkair - perhaps movement of locals to Scoot or Singapore would create more openings for Silkair positions)? Is there a flow-through type of agreement for the locals?

Cheers

gb777
30th Apr 2013, 13:18
Thanks Shampers for your insight.
Do Silkair pilots benefit from staff travel on the mainline?
Is the maximum age 62 as well?
(Compared to Tiger 65)

Iver
30th Apr 2013, 19:05
Shampers,

Great overview. Three more questions if you don't mind:

With the 737s arriving, will existing Airbus pilots (currently employed) need to sign a new training bond to cover the new training or would that only be for newhires
Are most Airbus pilots happy/sad/ambivalent about having to convert over to the Boeing (i.e., happy to give up the sidestick for a yoke) :}:p
Do you have any layovers in your route system or are they primarily out-and-back flying with few layovers
Cheers

smiling monkey
1st May 2013, 01:03
Shampers, are you referring to direct entry captains? I would have thought Silk Air get their F/Os through the Singapore Airlines cadet program, or directly from SQ since SQ currently have an excess of pilots?

Gtr21
1st May 2013, 14:57
shampers thank you for all the info, and its nice to see someone say nice about the airline they work for.
I was looking at the website and still they say there is no flight deck positions available, i presume it will change in the near future or when you guys get the new ac's and sorry a last question : is the website the best way to go to contact them ?

Iver
1st May 2013, 15:38
Cheers Shampers - you have been very helpful and responsive. Sounds like Silkair is a good situation for you (and that is rare on Pprune). :p :cool:

It will be interesting to see how Silkair and Scoot are staffed in the future as Singapore contracts and changes.

etops777
6th May 2013, 07:54
Silk will not be hiring directly onto B737 for the first
2 years on either seats. This is to ensure the culture of MI
stays intact. The hiring will be onto the bus. No one is sure of
when will the hiring resumes..the best practice is to register
your details online.

bringbackthe80s
17th Sep 2013, 08:54
Hi guys I am looking for an update on silkair, I understand they need A320 captains...?

Has anyone applied and had any feedback/went for a selection?

I might need to look for the next move soon, and Silkair in Singapore seems like a good option to me..

Thanks for your help

bringbackthe80s
17th Sep 2013, 13:08
p.s. if anyone has any info/suggestions for a capt. A320 job in the far east (China excluded) it would be great to hear your experiences

thanks again

BECMG
17th Sep 2013, 18:41
I really like visiting this place but I believe ground realities are different.On a recent trip I got talking to a middle aged local working at a store and asked whether she preferred Silk Air.She said to me that after the crash people don't prefer Silk Air.I know that sounds strange given that the crash happened such a long time ago.She also said she likes tiger but prefers Jetstar over it.She said life in Singapore is stressful but I think she meant expensive.I don't know if this is the local mood or an individual's opinion.I am not really so familiar with this region.

wonderland
18th Sep 2013, 00:38
Just did a stint out in Singapore, and from an expats point of view, I'd steer clear. You'd be surprise at how expensive everything is out there, and if you are white or deemed an expat, they'll try their best to milk you dry be it your land lord, car dealer, etc.

Plus the country is really sterile, not the "feel" of Asia you would expect and get from places such as Bangkok, Saigon, or Hong Kong. In a way it is good if you have a family as it is safe, but you would never want to resettle in Singapore if you have a family, the International schools cost way too much, getting a car too cost more than buying a Cessna 172.

But I'm just biased so take what I say with a pinch of salt. I'm still mad because I got charged $55.90 for 2 glasses of beer at a popular drinking establishment out there.

wonderland
18th Sep 2013, 00:44
BECMG is right, the singaporeans never really were fond of silkair, not because of the MI185 incident but probably because they were paying SQ prices and expecting SQ standards.

You'd hear alot of customers who booked fares and went totally berserk because they were thrown onto a silkair operated flight when they booked their tickets on the Singapore Airlines website.

And they have a mentality that if they'd have to book a flight from silkair, they'd rather do it on Jetstar, Airasia or Tigerair because at most it's a 3 hr flight and I'm not paying premium for that.

airplanedriver
18th Sep 2013, 02:25
Did a stint with Sing Cargo for 3 years, moved to greener pastures and now find myself back in the garden city for a new gig on the 320!
I would definitely agree 100% about the comments about Singapore on the whole, it's crazy really, some get the idea that it is a streamlined place and everything works smoothly, but the bureaucracy is just as it is in many parts of Asia, just with more style!! Of course it's very safe crime wise and certain conveniences are superb, but it's not all rosy as it's cracked up to be. With a family really, i too wouldn't choose Sin.

On the other hand, on a more positive note, if you're on a commuting contract, and u base your family in one of the cheaper, more vibrant city's in the region, it just might work nice. This is what I've done, a 2 bedder in the east, near very good amenities can be got for S$3k, and u manage for 20 day for yourself only, no family, it'll work quite well, just my two cents worth, cos for a commuting sort of lifestyle, Sin i must say is pretty OK, much better than Korea or China IMHO. Of course if your family is based far and the only option is to relocate along with them, then it's probably NO!

CodyBlade
18th Sep 2013, 14:03
Very sterile, no soul and pilots are treated as heavy equipment operators.

Extremely stratified society,always trying to prove to the world they are No.1 results in very stressful living.

1.Super rich [most super-cars per Km but top speed limit is 90kmh]
2.Rich [Merc C180 costs US$210K]
3.Poor [VW GOLF costs US$150k]

Nobody likes eachother and lots of bigotry.

The pheasants don't like the outsiders.

Broomstick Flier
18th Sep 2013, 15:31
Hi Shampers,

Thanks for the very informative posts. Looks you are having a good time with SilkAir. If you don't mind, could you give us an idea on days away/days home? Where are the usual layovers, if any? Or does the roster permits sleeping at homebase all days?

As a last question, any idea about the qualifications needed, for a FO position? Have not found this on the website.

Thanks!

BANANASBANANAS
18th Sep 2013, 15:41
I did 7 years in SIN on expat terms and thoroughly enjoyed it. The expats still there who are still on expat contracts still do enjoy it I think - and good luck to them.
But I think the chances of joining any airline in SIN now and getting housing allowance, child education allowance, annual leave ticket etc are between slim and nil.
Without those allowances you will just about survive if you compromise your living standards a little and if you have no children.
It is a very sterile, characterless place it is true. And that also has its advantages. It is clean, safe and has very low crime.
Overall, I am glad I joined when I did. I had a great time. I am glad I left when I did. I probably couldn't (and wouldn't want to) afford to join any airline in SIN right now. Great place to live - provided you have mega$ in your pocket.

bringbackthe80s
18th Sep 2013, 16:28
message received, thanks guys.

one has to wonder where is a decent place to be these days...was hoping for better feedbacks at least for motivation if anything!

good luck (to us) and fly safe

no sponsor
18th Sep 2013, 18:24
The cost of living in SIN is completely outrageous. During the last 10 years the SIN dollar has been massively inflated, and as a result, it means that a once pleasant city has become one of the most expensive places on the planet. A city built primarily on US/European businesses having a foothold in Asia is wearing thin due to the sky-high costs. Clearly if you have another source of income, or fly for pleasure, then OK. Personally SIN is nothing like the rest of Asia, but that's just my opinion. There's very little to do except eat, shop and possibly do one other thing. :}

training wheels
21st Sep 2013, 15:32
I heard Silk Air is not recruiting at the moment and their careers website seems to suggest this as well with no listing for flight crew positions. With the excess of F/Os at their parent airline, makes sense for any positions to be allocated to excess F/Os at SIA rather than recruit external applicants.

syfly
13th Jan 2014, 08:38
Hi all,

Looks like MI gonna operate the NGs from this Feb onwards. (You can read from its website for the news as awell as from various newspapers by now).

My insider news is saying they are in need of type rated pilots for the NGs and you can send in your resumes to the HR now. They are also planning to send in excess of SIA pilots and together with cadets from SilkAir academy. (My news is only as true as the info comes to me)

Shampers,

On your post back in April, may I know if the salary is after tax?
Based on your current roster pattern, do you think is it possible to rent house in Malaysia and commute to Changi?
Is there any allowance provided for transport?

Thank you!

Stallone
13th Jan 2014, 13:24
rent a house in Johor and commute to changi?!?!?!

do you want to leave your house 5hours before flight??

kwaiyai
13th Jan 2014, 13:39
syfly I personally wouldn't consider it and I doubt you will save anything much but gain a Headache probably. Up to you though of course.

7Q Off
14th Jan 2014, 11:12
syfly: Are they looking for NG rated captains? or only FO?

syfly
14th Jan 2014, 12:07
Looks like this thread is still alive afterall. :)

7Q Off,
They are looking for both type-rated Capt and FO now.

Stallone, kwaiyai,
Looks like that option is out of the question then...thank you so much for the input still!

Shampers,
Thank you for the replies too! Some questions regarding the training policies of MI:

1) do they require safety pilot to observe line training? (For both cadet&command training)

2) if yes, what is the minimum sectors for the cadets/command in training required to clear?

3) is there any guarantee hours per month?(eg,guarantee 50hours, if you fly 45hrs only, company top up the remaining 5hours allowance)

4) what is the basic pay for FO and Captain now? Which percentage of tax bracket they fall in?

5) in Singapore tax system, do the pilots get taxed ONLY on basic pay? If no, does the government tax based on Gross Pay?

6) can we expect SilkAir (or SIA group) to give two sets of different salary scale of two fleets until fleet replacement and expansion are completed?

7) Is there any MOU for SilkAir pilots? If yes, which year will it expire next? Is it a must to join the union to enjoy the MOU benefits?

8) Shampers, you mentioned on rental setup previously and you gave a rough figure. May I know if this is a mandatory requirement if we want to rent at hdb flats?

Thank you!

WYOMINGPILOT
14th Jan 2014, 12:15
Website says no recruiting for Pilots at this time. Any other sources or recruiters who are recruiting for Silk Air?

Scott_T
14th Jan 2014, 16:40
Just left an open application to the company, my god it is one loooooong application form etc..

wonderland
14th Jan 2014, 21:32
And if you are not really fussy, just rent a single room in areas like Bedok, Tampines, or Pasir Ris. I paid about SGD$800 mthly with an en suite bathroom, transport wise, just a 3 stops to the airport on the local train/tube, the local Oyster card for trains work on the buses too.

syfly
15th Jan 2014, 05:05
Hi shampers,

1)I was trying to do some calculations on the pay and tax. But I just want to double confirm whether the 14500sgd for 80 hours is a Captain's pay? Any guaranteed percentage increment annually?

2) How does MI fare in terms of allowance?
do they give separate allowance for productivity of hours and meal allowance? Or does the allowance is combined as one single rate?

3) For those who are on line-training, how is their pay like? I I don't suppose it will be full salary? Any particular percentage on the basic/allowance? Pro-rate salary perhaps?

4) regarding the role of safety copilots, are they allowed to log in P2 hours or none at all for MI? (The current airline I am working allows for P2hours as safety co.)

5) promotion for MI: from SO-> FO-> Captain
-is it possible to get promotion within MI only without going through SIA?

6)does MI separate the FOs rank into Senior FO? What is the hours required if it is true?

7) how many hours required to get promotion from one rank to the next?

8) any minimum years of service (for SO and FO) before going widebody/command check?

9) any of the previous expats or foreigners with FO (or Captain) came into MI and had to be 'downgraded' to one level lower initially (to gather experience)?

10) what is the average age of the commanders in the 320s now? I read in one of the post here that the retirement age will be increased to 65. That might affect promotion again I guess.

11) How is the flow now from FO-Captain? Average numbers per year? Is it considered slow or fast now in your view?

Thank you again for your time to answer these questions, Shamper. Your help and information are very very much appreciated!! :)

Hi wonderland,
I can do with hdb flat :) still bachelor, easy for me to relocate! 800sgd sounds still expensive even for areas near Changi! The housing regulations now seem to increase on the rental market! ;)

etops777
15th Jan 2014, 07:55
Silk Air is not currently hiring anyone into the 737. All of the hiring will be to the airbus.

We are recruiting Capts to fill the capacity and inside REC is very important.

syfly
15th Jan 2014, 13:59
Thanks alot shampers!! Glad of such insider's info for us to read!

Noted, etops777. :) good luck to the rest of potential applicants!

syfly
19th Jan 2014, 09:09
Good day to all,

Another few more questions for shampers (and the rest of MI pilots):

1) medical benefits? Does it cover family members?
2) anything on the amount of loss of license insurance?
3) insurance coverage and amount?

Thank you so much! :)

wonderland
19th Jan 2014, 20:02
Hard to say, but the vibe I get, they are trying to keep everything in-house at the moment and not looking at hiring any B737 operators for at least the next 6 mths.

etops777
20th Jan 2014, 01:53
No hiring into B737 for the first 2 years
of operation. All of the hiring will be on the
Airbus.

syfly
21st Jan 2014, 04:48
Roger! Thanks shampers.