PDA

View Full Version : Commonly Experienced (Non Erotic) Dreams

rjtjrt
21st Apr 2013, 06:40
On another aviation site (to do with a popular American aluminium homebuilt aircraft) there is a thread that alerted me to this.
It seems a lot of people/pilots have experienced dreams that involve:-

1. Taking off from a road and having wires above that won't allow the aircraft to climb above said wires. Goes on and on and on.
Obviously a variation of an anxiety dream, but is it only pilots/aircrew that experience this one, and what variations are there?

2. Levitation ability. Variations of being able to fly by willpower, or levitation, etc.

Seems these are commonly experienced dreams.

John

dat581
21st Apr 2013, 06:44
I'd add aviation to the thread subject before you get multiple mentions of naked women and horizontal aerobics etc.:E

Buster Hyman
21st Apr 2013, 06:48
Are we talking wet or dry here?

OFSO
21st Apr 2013, 06:57
My last day at work - in many different forms, real and unreal, solid and fantasy, but My Last Day At Work used to pop up once a month in my dreams. Any other retired folk on JB have this ?

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2013, 07:01
The levitation thing.

For half my life I've had similar dreams. Huge amount of mental energy put into lifting off, and trying to maintain height in large halls and the like. Usually, no one is impressed.

Flying.

Usually it's trying to get to the aircraft. Blocked roads, locked doors, every frustration. Like real life really.

Fine when I'm there, though one time I worked up a froth demanding to be reseated further forward so the strings to the controls had a better run. It seems so sensible at the time.

KAG
21st Apr 2013, 07:04
I'd add aviation to the thread subject before you get multiple mentions of naked women and horizontal aerobics etc Yes we are at that point... ;)

2. Levitation ability. Variations of being able to fly by willpower, or levitation, etc.I think everybody had this dream at some point, pilot or not.
I have it and my wife too, even if she has nothing to do with aviation.

I believe pilots in their dream might be able to introduce some flight knowledge and real flight situations, but those dreams remain universal.

sisemen
21st Apr 2013, 07:17
Taxying down streets and hoping that the wings don't get knocked off.

Wires - occasionally but mainly high bridges (successions thereof)

All you have to do is to flap your arms and you can fly gracefully around and can't work out why others can't do it.

Work - back in uniform and realising that you shouldn't be there and you will get found out.

Ascend Charlie
21st Apr 2013, 07:27
Regularly have the dream about being held low under an indefinite number of wires. My brother (also a pilot) has this one too.

Next most regular is finding myself inside a control zone without a clearance, and it is an anxious time working out whether I should call up in my present position and get into trouble, or slink back to the edge of the zone and pretend I wasn't there.

Being naked in the cockpit happens a few times.:eek:

cattletruck
21st Apr 2013, 07:28
I wrote up on here about really cool dream I once had, but my account was killed in action and all threads subsequently lost.

I still remember the futuristic corporate jets with T-tail, delta wings and integrated engines, they looked so sexy.

Caboclo
21st Apr 2013, 07:45
I've dreamed levitation repeatedly; that one's always fun. My variation on the powered flight dream is to suddenly realize that I've been flying for several hours, through all sorts of controlled airspace, and haven't made a single R/T. :eek:

handsfree
21st Apr 2013, 07:48
Going into a university finals exam having done absolutely no work or attended any of the lectures for it.
I still get that one very occasionally and its 36 years down the road since then.

Milo Minderbinder
21st Apr 2013, 09:52
I don't have any non-erotic dreams. Or maybe none I can remember,

Tankertrashnav
21st Apr 2013, 10:09
Going into a university finals exam having done absolutely no work or attended any of the lectures for it.

In my case its five minutes before going on stage in a play and I'm frantically trying to learn my part which I havent even looked at. Odd as I've only ever taken part in amateur dramatics on three or four occasions a long time ago, and I never forgot any of my lines!

I still get the flying under wires one - seems it's pretty universal among aircrew, both current and retired.

Juud
21st Apr 2013, 10:37
Common flight attendant dreams among our lot:

Trying to get to the crew centre, seeing it in the distance, but unable to reach it. While the clock is ticking and reporting time slowly passes.
Frantically running through the crew centre unable to locate your company mail pigeon hole.
Walking into the briefing room and realising you´re in civvies. And no idea where your uniform is.
Ditto but discovering civvies only when you step onto the aircraft.

Me personally; standing behind the pilots and looking outside. Seeing that there is no way they will be able to duck our 747 below those massive power lines strung before the runway. :eek:
Or same-same but with the pilots doing a Kai Tak type of approach but dodging between the sky scrapers of New York or Chicago.

I used to dream a lot about pilots all dead and me having to land an indistinct wide-body jet. Knowing all the time it was going to end in disaster and waking up with a racing heart, cold sweat and sky-high blood pressure.
Only reading this thread just now, I realise that ever since Wholigan took me up in a small airplane, made me do some rolls and a Cuban Eight and a few loops and then talked me through doing a touch and go and a landing, that dream has disappeared. :ok:.:ok:.:ok:.:ok:

603DX
21st Apr 2013, 11:16
I still get that one very occasionally and its 36 years down the road since then.

Better get used to it handsfree, I still get that one half a century after my own finals - and I passed, dammit!

Over four decades of climbing tall structures in several countries on inspections, many of them over 1000 ft high, I never fell off one once (quelle surprise!). Yet a dream of being on the edge of crumbling cliffs, or on top of a rocky mountain with loose scree underfoot is a regular feature of my dreamscape. It's the absence of anything to hold onto, I think. :uhoh:

Molemot
21st Apr 2013, 11:54
Nice to know I'm not the only one with the "Stuck under wires" dream; it comes up a few times a year. There is a sequence in the Japanese animated film "Porco Rosso" which shows a seaplane trying to take off from a canal and having to deal with bridges and wires...it seemed very familiar! Sometimes, in dreams, I realise I have returned to a sort of parallel universe where the laws of physics permit me to fly like a bird...I am sufficiently self aware when these dreams start to know that I'm back in this place and that I shall be able to fly unassisted....great fun!

farsouth
21st Apr 2013, 14:02
I have also had the above described dreams, quite often -

Flying along a street between buildings trying to climb out but prevented by successive wires crossing above me

Finding that with great concentration and will power I could levitate and fly around (typically inside a big hall, as described by Loose Rivets)

Strange how similar the details of the dreams reported are.........

dazdaz1
21st Apr 2013, 15:48
OP similar dreams, I'm a pax on an a/c, it's doing a taxi down very narrow road and I wonder how it's going to take off.

Other...... Close Encounters (movie) different sizes/shapes of craft floating above, pal of mine has also experienced this in a dream.

The best yet..... I'm sitting on a loo in general view of others in the dream, finding it embarrassing to wipe my ass.

Daz

DType
21st Apr 2013, 18:35
Haven't had control of an aircraft since I was an air cadet 60 odd years ago, but many many nightmares trying to reach an airport to land whilst trapped under tram wires and flying along city streets. They seem to have faded now I am retired and am an INfrequent flyer.

Davaar
21st Apr 2013, 18:44
having done absolutely no work

Chap appeared at the Bar exam., walking very slowly and steadily.

He announced that his pleasures had interfered with study, to which latter he had devoted but yesterday, no more.

His head was full to the brim, he said, with shaky information, and his solemn progress was designed to inhibit any spillage.

cavortingcheetah
21st Apr 2013, 18:53
Flying in a Mustang with a Chevy Corvette V8 engine in the gloaming over a war zone while smoking a cigar sitting in a red plush arm chair shooting down low flying aircraft under the wires or, occasionally, levitating pilots. Sometimes I decide to spare one of these will power aviators and we wave cheerily at each other as we zoom past one another, her flapping her arms and me pumping the power lever.

goudie
21st Apr 2013, 20:22
I spent a good few years servicing Canberras and flew in them occasionally, once actually being permitted to.take the controls on a T4.
I dream that I'm on a squadron as a pilot and climb aboard a Canberra. As I start the engines and prepare to taxi out I suddenly realise I'm not really a pilot but go ahead anyway and take off. That's when I get the 'can't climb because there's not enough power in the engines and weave around buildings' sensation. Thankfully I always wake up before having to land! I'm reminded of the song 'Sparky's Magic Piano.'

bluecode
21st Apr 2013, 23:05
That's intriguing, didn't realise how common wire dreams were among pilots. Mine invariably involved taking off and flying happily for a while until I get too low and fly into the wires, usually waking up at this point. There were variations though. I once flew a Tiger Moth with my favourite niece on board, into an electricity sub station. We both survived albeit completely surrounded by electrical wires. Sometimes the aircraft was a cardboard box, other times I was trying to fly from the back seat. On another occasion I managed to get quite high only to suffer an engine failure. But an attempt to force land onto the airfield directly below was foiled by strong winds which blew me backwards out to sea.

My interpretation of the above was that I was constantly finding obstacles preventing my progress. Interestingly the dreams all but disappeared when I began to fly for a living. But I was reminded of the dreams constantly because the home airfield had a set of high tension cables on short finals! :eek:

These days my recurring dream is that I've been rehired by the company (aviation) where I spent (wasted) most of my working life. The trouble is I've no idea what my new job is supposed to be, although everyone assumes I know what I'm doing. Doesn't need much interpretation that, as it sums up nearly every job I've had. :ok: Usually the company is populated by the same old faces, several now long dead. Invariably my dream self approaches one of them and ask if they realise they actually died in 1991. Never goes down well that!

My favourite dream though, as I've recounted here before, was when I became aware I was dreaming. Now it could be that this was a construct of the dream itself and I wasn't actually having a lucid dream. But in any case I approached a woman, (now don't get ahead of me here :=). I said to her. 'You don't actually exist. You're in my dream.' She looked at me: 'What makes you think you're not in my dream?'

Now that's an interesting thought!

broadreach
21st Apr 2013, 23:43
Ahh, levitation.... spreading one's arms at the top of a hill and launching off, skidding and slewing not more than 18" off the ground. Like on a sled but smoother and more in control

Overhead wires, how reassuring to hear others have had similar dreams. A narrow, unpaved lane, uphill, trees with overhanging branches on either side and a wall of 40m high pines at the end of the lane.

Damn sight better than counting sheep.

westhawk
22nd Apr 2013, 07:06
I've had the power line dreams too. For me it's the game of energy management. Never enough room between the trees to reverse course and the next power line, tree or building must be cleared so I can never build up enough energy to gain an advantage. Yeah a psychoanalyst would have a field day. But I choose to believe these sort of dreams mean exactly what we choose to believe they mean!

Before flying, escaping an approaching tsunami by trying to run up an increasingly steep and soft sand beach sufficed.

I've always felt rather surprised and grateful that I never dream of the terrible things I've experienced or witnessed. Anxiety dreams never reach their terrible conclusion either. So I've got that going for me... Which is nice.

westhawk

RAC/OPS
22nd Apr 2013, 07:08
I'm amazed at all the wires above you dreams. It was only when I learnt to fly that I started having these, before that it was the flying under your own steam (my technique is to launch yourself and float upwards like leaves float down, ie oscillating a bit). Since I haven't flown for a long time, my flying dreams are now doing circuits and being too high/low/fast/slow etc - not much different to my real experiences!

If ever I am a passenger, it's in an aircraft about the size of a ship, and the seats are arranged in rows about 15 wide and some just scattered about the deck.

Recurring dreams about school (as in I've had them before but not regularly), are quite specifically geography lessons in 4th or 5th year, and not knowing anything about the subject.

vulcanised
22nd Apr 2013, 12:05
How about a Satnav in the car that screams Wires, Wires!

RJM
22nd Apr 2013, 12:19
I've had the self-propelled, levitation dreams too, sometimes very realistic. You wake up with a smile.

I also have dreams in which, whereever I go to avoid it, a horse is looking at me from behind something - a curtain or whatever. It doesn't do anything - just looks. I quite like horses, but it's pretty unnerving all the same.

obgraham
22nd Apr 2013, 16:14
I sometimes wake up having dreamt that it's morning and I didn't get up in the night.

Only to find that it is, as usual 3am, and off I go!

Old age is not for sissies.

rgbrock1
22nd Apr 2013, 16:37
sisemen wrote:

All you have to do is to flap your arms and you can fly gracefully around and can't work out why others can't do it.I just tried this here at work in the hallway in one of our buildings. Emergency services where summoned shortly thereafter. Now I can't flap my arms around anymore.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/failtefailte/Funnny%20Stuff/straight_jacket.jpg

vulcanised
22nd Apr 2013, 16:43
Dream that you can't get to sleep and you wake up knackered.

603DX
22nd Apr 2013, 18:03
I spent a good few years servicing Canberras and flew in them occasionally, once actually being permitted to.take the controls on a T4.
I dream that I'm on a squadron as a pilot and climb aboard a Canberra.

Lucky old you, goudie! As an eighteen year old air cadet I was also allowed to take the controls of a T4 on a super 'air experience' flight during our annual camp at RAF Waddington. (Great, wasn't it?) Yet do I re-live the mind-blowing occasion in my dreams? I do not, all I get are the boring and hackneyed 'fear of falling' and 'exam-failing terrors' nightmares, that many folk suffer from! :*

Limeygal
22nd Apr 2013, 18:28
Frantically running through the crew centre unable to locate your company mail pigeon hole.
Walking into the briefing room and realising you´re in civvies. And no idea where your uniform is.

Yes! Even after all these years I still dream about flying. Also have the landing in unusual places dream.