PDA

View Full Version : BAC 1-11 50th Anniversary

mrshubigbus
20th Apr 2013, 21:53
This year is the 50th anniversary of an iconic British Airliner that deserves far more credit than it currently receives for its great success over the years!
244 BAC One-Elevens were built and now only 3 are left. The very last executive and pax carrying aircraft is N999BW based in Dallas Love Field, USA. As part of the 1-11's 50th celebrations there will be a chance to take one last flight on this historic airliner.
If anyone would like the opportunity to be on that last flight then please visit my BAC 1-11 website for further details.

HOME OF THE BAC 1-11 ON THE WEB (http://www.bac1-11jet.co.uk)

toffeez
21st Apr 2013, 12:52
Indeed it deserves a bit more credit for its innovations.

For example, it was the first two-pilot jet transport. Great, as

long as they carried the iron bar to hit the stuck engine starters.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Apr 2013, 08:21
G-AVMR is with us in spirit..

Fly380
22nd Apr 2013, 11:57
The Pocket Rocket. Ah memories.:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Apr 2013, 12:51
Was it really so powerful, as the DC-9-20/30 was ? I SLF'd a few times from MXP to LGW with DanAir's 1-11's and without fail we'd always have to climb in 2 or 3 circles to get enough height to safely traverse the Alps, which I've never experienced in other aircraft of the era. The pilots have always been very complimentary towards BAC's airliner, if anecdotal evidence is to be believed.

SHJ

toffeez
22nd Apr 2013, 15:08
I don't know about climb, but BAC were not able to give it the take-off thrust they wanted. The RR Spey was at its development limits.

BAC oldtimers speculate "if only ..... American Airlines had selected the PW JT8D for their 1-11s". After AA chose the Spey the PW option was never offered again.

However, it could carry 119 pax over 1000nm on the same total thrust as one CFM56.

mrshubigbus
23rd Apr 2013, 12:06
50th Anniversary 1-11 Flights

I can confirm that this flight will definitely be going ahead and bookings can now be taken for this unique event.
It will take place on Sunday 20th October - subject to confirmation and will be $233 for a 30 minute flight on 1-11 N999BW at Dallas Love Field. This aircraft is an absolutely immaculate executive jet and also the very last one!
This price is subject to four flights taking place with 30 enthusiasts on each one. Therefore we will really make a full day of it and make this 50th Anniversary event one to remember.
At this point in time there will be two travel options.

1. Book a tour with Ian Allan Aviation Tours - details to be announced shortly
2. Book directly with Classic Jet Tours once they have officially launched it very soon.

In the meantime anyone interested should contact me at:-

[email protected]

I can take a provisional booking which will then be passed on to either Classic Jet Tours or Ian Allan.

You can find further details of this and a similar flight carried out in August 2011 on my BAC 1-11 website.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Best Regards

Peter Clark

PS Please spread the word!

Rocket2
24th Apr 2013, 09:31
Flew over the top of Wiltshire's famous secret base yesterday, almost wept when I saw the 1-11's (& Andovers) rotting away in the scrap compound. :{

B Fraser
24th Apr 2013, 11:57
The British Island Airways examples had water/methanol injection which added a bit of oomph in hot conditions.

Wodrick
24th Apr 2013, 16:50
De-Minerlised Water not Water Meth. Water Meth would require a double engine change in very short order !
Darts yes Speys NO

ICT_SLB
25th Apr 2013, 03:52
Somebody actually did fill the Demin tank with water/methanol mix - caused Bavarian to have double flameout on takeoff from Munich. The crew managed to put it down on a not-yet-opened autobahn but it hit an overpass.

pilotms
25th Apr 2013, 05:11
The Flight of the PanAvia Plane was from Hamburg. They had some time ago a TV-Report about this in Germany.

dixi188
25th Apr 2013, 06:20
Just to get the facts right. It was Pan International that crashed at Hamburg and the De-Min tank had been partly with fuel so that the water flowed first and it was only as they got airborne that the fuel flowed to the engines causing massive overheat.

chevvron
25th Apr 2013, 08:49
Have the Boscombe ones been WFU then? Did several trips in '919 when it was at Farnborough.

A30yoyo
25th Apr 2013, 12:50
toffeez post #6 is very interesting....never knew the JT-8D was an option on the BAC One-Eleven. The downsizing of the Tridents engine (Medway to Spey) was a catastrophe and I sometimes wonder if Rolls would have made more money (and boosted British airframes) if they'd built a CFM-56 size engine instead of the RB-211 in the early seventies

DCDriver
25th Apr 2013, 19:31
[QUOTE]Was it really so powerful, as the DC-9-20/30 was ?/QUOTE]

The answer is emphatically no.

In the 1970’s I flew BAC 1-11’s in UK, then moved abroad to work for a DC-9 operator. During the conversion course in the DC-9 sim, we were detailed to do single-engine work. The briefing stressed the need for very accurate flying as 50% of the power would have been lost. On the first takeoff the engine failed at or shortly after V1 and I gingerly rotated, expecting to have to coax every inch out of the beast. But no, it soared heavenward and I thought “Blimey! It’s better than a 1-11 on 2 engines!”
I went on to fly just about every variant of the Diesel ‘9 and once had a test pilot on the jumpseat of a DC-9-15 who professed that the performance was better than a Tornado (admittedly in cold thrust)

srobarts
26th Apr 2013, 00:55
Posted on FacePrune by Classic Air Force yesterday (Thursday) was this:

Tomorrow (Friday) at 12.30 the Classic Air Force is expecting the airborne arrival of BAC 1-11 ZH763 from Boscombe Down!
Thanks to the generosity of QinetiQ this aeroplane will be the latest addition to the CAF fleet. It is currently the last flying BAC 1-11 in Europe and tomorrow will be it's last flight.
Don't miss this chance to see (and hear!) her fly and land at her new home!
(Times TBC and flying subject to weather and operational conditions)

On Fightercontrol this was added:
Also flying into NQY tomorrow in support of the 1-11 will be one of the small QinetiQ twins about 11.30 and then their 146 at about 14.00h.

Fris B. Fairing
26th Apr 2013, 07:31
What is the current status of ZE432 and ZE433?

Rgds

WHBM
26th Apr 2013, 08:29
Just to get the facts right. It was Pan International that crashed at Hamburg and the De-Min tank had been partly with fuel so that the water flowed first and it was only as they got airborne that the fuel flowed to the engines causing massive overheat.
Maintenance at the base had previously drained some contaminated fuel into some handy empty containers labelled "demin water". The inevitable happened, and the contents were then mistakenly loaded into the demin water tank on the One-Eleven.

billynospares
26th Apr 2013, 09:26
432 and 433 are both scrap awaiting disposal :{

TCAS FAN
26th Apr 2013, 15:21
mrshubigbus

Two left flying now with todays delivery of the last Boscombe's 1-11's to the museum at Newquay?

mrshubigbus
26th Apr 2013, 15:29
Still three left
N162W & N164W with Northrop Grumman
N999BW with Business Jet Access.

I had ZH763 listed as stored until today's final flight!