PDA

View Full Version : On which aircraft do BA ab initios typically start?

LAVDUMPER
21st Feb 2001, 09:04
Just curious. If I were of age and of nationality, I would certainly jump at the opportunity to join BA as an ab initio. A few qustions for current ab initios or members of the BA pool:

1. On which aircraft do ab initios typically start? What determines the fleet to which you are assigned - requests, age, openings?

2. If you are an ab initio or in the pool, which fleet would YOU like to join first and why that aircraft type? What is the likelihood that you will actually be assigned that aircraft?

3. Which bases are new pilots (ab initios) typically assigned?

Cheers and happy flying!

HWD
21st Feb 2001, 15:11
I'm 13 months into BA's trainee scheme.

When you complete the programme, BA assign you to the fleet and to the base where they need you.

As for aircraft that could be 737, 757, A319/A320 and for bases: Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham or Manchester.

Most people on my course anticipate being started on A319/A320 at Heathrow (could quite easily change!).

You do get to express a preference of fleet and base, but it doesn't count for much - ultimately the flight crew flexibility that exists within BA comes from pilots in their first five years with the airline (not complaining! - it's an incredible opportunity and I'll be delighted with whatever I'm given).

HWD
21st Feb 2001, 15:16
I'm 13 months into BA's trainee scheme.

When you complete the programme, BA assign you to the fleet and to the base where they need you.

As for aircraft that could be 737, 757, A319/A320 and for bases: Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham or Manchester.

Most people on my course anticipate being started on A319/A320 at Heathrow (could quite easily change!).

You do get to express a preference of fleet and base, but it doesn't count for much - ultimately the flight crew flexibility that exists within BA comes from pilots in their first five years with the airline (not complaining! - it's an incredible opportunity and I'll be delighted with whatever I'm given).