PDA

View Full Version : UAS with a PPL

MikeSamuel
26th Apr 2002, 15:57
My apologies if I've mentioned this previously, but can you join a UAS with a PPL? I've confirmed Bath University for my first choice (after a gap year). I believe the UAS there is linked with Bristol (?). So how does the UAS system work? I guess there is a great deal of competition etc...

Thanks

MS

Lucifer
27th Apr 2002, 12:19
Yes.

http://www.durham.ac.uk/nuas

All UAS links are on the links page at the above website

tomcs
27th Apr 2002, 14:35
The answer is yes! I am off to Bristol in October and I have been talking to there UAS which flies out of Colerne. They said it was no problem that I have a PPL

Tom

Grobbler
27th Apr 2002, 14:39
As Lucifer said, yes you can join with a PPL. It will probably help you get ahead in the early stages of the course.

Bit unfortunate that you'll have to go to BUAS. Nevermind, somebody has to I suppose.:p

Fly SUAS!!:D:D

Good Luck

rahaney
1st May 2002, 10:35
However guys you have to be pilot/nav RAF fit it you want to get in.

If you aren't email [email protected] as we're thinking about ressurrecting the flying club
- subsidised ! oh yeah!

l8r :D

scroggs
2nd May 2002, 10:45
Having a PPL is not a bar to UAS membership. As UASs are now overtly recruiting machines for the RAF, rather than for instilling 'air-mindedness' in under-graduates, as they once were, you will need to have an interest in joining the RAF as a career. For greater than 5 flying hours per year, I believe you would need to be fit for, and aiming for, employment as aircrew within the RAF. This is somewhat different from when I was a UAS CFI, so perhaps those with more recent knowledge will confirm or correct my statements.

In any case, we always found that those with a PPL would have an advantage in the early stages of training, but would sometimes need extra tuition for the more advanced elements of the course. This was for three reasons: one was that it took some time to eliminate bad habits from poorly-taught PPL students; another was that some PPLs were already mindset into civilian-style flying and didn't take well to the more disciplined but extrovert military style; and the third was that, whatever your previous experience, some are simply more talented than others!

A last word of warning: do not attempt to use a UAS as a cheap way of adding hours en-route to an ATPL. You will probably be found out and ejected in disgrace - and bad raps have a habit of following you around! Best of luck in your application to join.