PDA

View Full Version : VDSL vectoring

BOAC
20th Apr 2013, 07:39
Any broadband gurus able to explain in simple terms vectoring? On the face of it, it does look like a good interim solution for the UK, with a cost of around 1/3 that of FTTH, and would assist the UK in trying to reach the EU requirement for 50% of the country to be at 100mb by 2020, for which I see no policy/plans at present..

As I understand it, the vectoring solution precludes any LLU (which of course plays straight into BT's coffers) and does not ameliorate the line length issues.

I'm looking for a simple explanation of how the local loop crosstalk noise is cancelled and to know whether the equipment is fitted at exchange or cabinet (which would generate problems for exchange lines)?

mixture
20th Apr 2013, 08:53
You've pretty much named the answer yourself in that it is cheaper and quicker to deploy than FTTP and is therefore why it is of interest to the telcos because they can continue to sweat their existing assets (copper plant).

In terms of how it works, I haven't been following it too deeply but a quick bit of research suggests its similar to ANR headsets. The technology calculates interference on the copper pairs and uses that to generate a noise-cancelling signal. This therefore reduces the amount of crosstalk on the pairs and provides an increase in bandwidth.

If BT have anything to do with it, I suspect it will be based on FTTC and hence kit in the new cabinets they're installing all over the place, infact I suspect that's what "BT Infinity" is anyway.

BOAC
20th Apr 2013, 09:07
infact I suspect that's what "BT Infinity" is anyway. - I'm 99.9% certain Infinity is not 'Vectored' except possibly in a few trial areas.

Because I do not understand the system I cannot work out whether it will actually improve long line performance or just boost short line. I E is it crosstalk or general 'wire grot' that degrades with distance, or both?

green granite
20th Apr 2013, 09:29
Have a read of this (http://www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine/vdsl2-vectoring-in-a-multi-operator-environment-separating-fact-from-fiction/) BOAC, assuming you haven't already.

BOAC
20th Apr 2013, 09:44
Thanks, gg - I had watched a lovely video from A-L but not seen that. I started to get 'lost' about half-way down, though:O

It would appear that it does nothing much for line length issues. Overall it does give a breathing space for the copper assets.

green granite
20th Apr 2013, 11:14
I started to get 'lost' about half-way down,

I know the feeling well BOAC, :(