View Full Version : Airline Routes

shon7
26th Apr 2002, 15:54
What happens if an airline stops operating a specific route? Can they still hold on to it or can others start bidding for it?

For ex: Virgin has stoped flying their ORD-LHR route for a while. Do they still get to keep that or can other airlines start services on that routes.

Silkman
1st May 2002, 22:29
shon
It depends on numerous items and can vary from airport to airport or airline.
In your example, I believe that Virgin have suspended the LHR-ORD route, not cancelling it, thus keeping the slots active. However VS could then change the ORD slot to say, another JFK, if JFK had the slots available, although they would have to re apply if they changed the departure time and flight number.
It's a complicated business with lots of ifs and buts.:confused:

shon7
2nd May 2002, 02:17
Thanks for your reply silkman. Is there any book / website where I can look up how slot allocation and route planning works.
The closest I read was : 'An introduction to Airline Economics' but that doesn't have much.

Silkman
5th May 2002, 07:35
I'm not too sure how the system works over in the U.S. but in the U.K. all slots are co-ordinated by a company called ACL ( Airport Co-ordination Limited ) who cover LHR,LGW,MAN,STN,BHX and GLA.
As far as I am aware there are no publications available in the U.K. but try the ACL or the CAA websites.
If you have access to SITA/Teletype, ACL's sita address is LONACXH, they are a good bunch and i'm sure they will help you out.